Photo
2013 Model

How To Root The Nexus 7 2013 (Mac Version)

Started by Cory Streater ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1522 posts
  • Device: Nexus 6

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 2:45 PM

Written for Mac users. Applies to the 2013 model of the Nexus 7.

The following process will root & install a custom recovery by TWRP. It's not difficult nor time consuming.

If you haven't unlocked the Nexus 7's bootloader, please follow the procedure in this thread before continuing.

You will also need to enable USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options. If you do not see Developer Options, you will need to enable it. Open the About screen and tap the build number 7 times. You should see a message stating that you are now a Developer, and Developer Options will display in the settings menu.

On the Mac:

• Download and extract the attached zip file to your desktop:

Attached File  N7Tools.zip   11.28MB   89 downloads

• Open the Terminal application via the Spotlight menu:

terminal.png

• Type the following to navigate to the directory where ADB, custom recovery, and SuperSU files reside (without the $):

$ cd ~/desktop/N7Tools

• Type the following to confirm that ADB can see the Nexus 7 — you will not be able to proceed past this step until it can:

$ ./adb devices

If ADB is able to see the Nexus 7 it will output the information below. The number will differ to reflect your Nexus 7's device ID.

List of devices attached
    08716648 device

• Type the following to copy UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip file to the Nexus 7:

$ ./adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip /sdcard/

• Type the following to enter bootloader mode on the Nexus 7:

$ ./adb reboot bootloader

• Type the following to flash the recovery image:

$ ./fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img

On the Nexus 7:

• Press the Volume up button twice to access the Recovery Mode option, and then press the power button to select.

The screen will turn black, a Google logo will appear, a TWRP splash screen displays, followed by the TWRP menu.

• Press the Install button.

• Select UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip from the list.

• Swipe right to confirm flash.

The install/flash should take ~5 seconds.

• Press the reboot system button.

• Open the SuperSU app once booted.

• A popup will display informing you that the SU Binary needs to be updated.

Press the Continue button.

• A second popup displays with an option to install the SU Binary the "normal" way, or via TWRP/CWM recovery.

Choose the TWRP/CWM option.

• Press the OK button to Continue.

Your Nexus 7 will be rooted and then boot to the home screen.

Congratulations!

The Nexus 7 is now rooted!

• Cyber Warrior, dmmarck and 7stringer like this

elliot #2

elliot
  • Elliot,Blueridgeworkshops
  • 3 posts
  • Device: Nexus 7 2013

Posted Sep 1 '13 @ 11:14 AM

this is such useful information and takes out so much of the frustration of trying to get this done with less panic for a new Android user.  I have just one question.  What happens to all of the data that I currently have on the Nexus 7.  With my Ipads everything is backed up through Itunes and can be restored through that but I am not sure one the Nexus 7.

Thanks,

Elliot

• Cory Streater likes this

Cory Streater #3

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1522 posts
  • Device: Nexus 6

Posted Sep 1 '13 @ 2:03 PM

I took a look at Apple's support in regards to iOS backups through iTunes, and this is what I found:

Backed-up information includes purchased music, TV shows, apps, and books*; photos and video in the Camera Roll; device settings (for example, Phone Favorites, Wallpaper, and Mail, Contacts, Calendar accounts); app data; Home screen and app organization; Messages (iMessage, SMS, and MMS), ringtones, and more. Media files synced from your computer aren’t backed up, but can be restored by syncing with iTunes.

As you can see in the screenshots below, Google syncs all of the same information that iTunes does, and then some.

The first time you boot a device, you are prompted to either login to an existing Gmail account, or create a new one. Once signed in, all the information checked in the example below will automatically be synced and ready for download to the next time you sign in to any device in its factory default state.

What does and doesn't get synced is configurable via settings > accounts > (your gmail address).

Screenshot_2013-09-01-14-28-03-1.png

If you're interested in backing up actual device settings (e.g., WiFi networks, ringtone settings, etc...) you can do so via settings > backup & reset.

Screenshot_2013-09-01-14-28-42-1.png

Just know that these settings don't always transition smoothly across differing brands of devices and/or devices running conflicting versions of Android.

Are you needing to backup non Google account type stuff, such as a 3rd party email provider? How about iTunes music?

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1493 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Sep 24 '13 @ 11:15 PM

Step 7 of 'On The Mac'... here's CWM Recovery in case you don't want to use TWRP.

> Unzip and place recovery.img inside of the N7Tools folder

> Instead of:    ./fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img

> Use the command:    ./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

ClockworkMod Recovery 6 Attached File  recovery.img.zip   8.49MB   17 downloads

• Christopher Coleman likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1493 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 14 '13 @ 10:21 PM

FYI.. Confirmed working on Android 4.4 KitKat.   SuperSU just needs to be updated to v1.69

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :