Google Chromecast Silverlight Amazon Apple TV Bill Gates Steve Jobs

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 4:53 PM

After messing with this little dongle (teehehe) for about 3 hours, here are some thoughts/reactions/meditations on life with the CC:

1. Ok, this thing is really, really fucking cool.
  2. Netflix streaming is crisp and clear.  YouTube?  Like anything on YT, that depends on the video and the aptitude of the uploader.
  3. Local streaming is neat, but it can lag (particularly when there's a hiccup in WiFi strength).  Still, drag and drop?  Neat.
  4. I had to reboot it once.  Got a lot of blinking/stuttering.  Thought it was Nexus 7 (2013) all over again.  However, it's probably my WiFi.
  5. I'm not sure if it picks up 5GHz WiFi bands.  I had to switch the network on my phone to the 2.4GHz band because, like an idiot, I didn't realize that the CC was connected to that band and not the speedier 5GHz band.  Oh well, I have my moments...
  6. Amazon Prime?  Meh.  Can't do it.  It's Silverlight's fault, apparently: you can get some video (but no fullscreen? at least not all the time? my experiments have varied...) but no sound.  We'll have to wait on more robust tab browsing/Silverlight support for that.  (FYI, Apple/Microsoft, please, for the love of all that is holy or potentially good, update your shit so I can have the latest Silverlight plugin on Chrome.  I mean really, Bill/Steve-o; you hate(d) each other that much that you're gonna shaft us MacBook users?  The fuck, is this the '90s?)
  7. Having devices act as remotes is a great feature, although it probably won't help you if you routinely engage in "remote wars" with significant others.  My advice? Hide yo shit and pretend the CC is magic.
  8. While tabbed browsing/casting is currently in beta, it's really cool.  Only one thought prevailed during the first 30 minutes of messing around: once devs sink their teeth into this, it's going to be crazy powerful and flexible.  That and it will hopefully shut up the Airplay crowd.
  9. Also, Amazon--where the hell's my promo code?  I ordered hours before your nutty deadline.  The CC arrived on Saturday.  Well, where is it?
  10. Will CC lead to Google ignoring the GTV?  Or, stated another way, will it decrease GTV development?  Gotta wonder considering the attention this little dongle (Ed: never gets old!) is getting compared to the fact that most people have no idea the GTV even exists.
  11. I mean, this is like the Nexus Q 2, right?  Sans awesome alien-ness.  Oh, and sans a ridiculous price tag.  $300 for a ball?  That streams media?  Who the hell thought that'd work?
  12. BTW, speaking of price tags, this dingly dongle costs $35.  It's an unreal steal.  HOWEVER, one must wonder--what got cut to save some pennies?  Memory?  WiFi abilities?
  13. Oh and P.S. - the female to male HDMI cable extender thingy is a great addition to the box, particularly for those who wall mount their TVs (and said TVs have the HDMI ports in the back, because idiocy prevails in all markets).
  14. Back to the Hunt for Red October!

• Cory Streater, Cyber Warrior and lpt2569 like this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 5:12 PM

Awesome review! I have a couple of questions:

I'm not sure if it picks up 5GHz WiFi bands.

Can you find out? I won't even take mine out of the box if it can't.

While tabbed browsing/casting is currently in beta, it's really cool.

Is it possible to stream Amazon Prime movies this way?

Also, Amazon--where the hell's my promo code?

I think you might be screwed. I received mine before it shipped.

I mean, this is like the Nexus Q 2, right? Sans awesome alien-ness. Oh, and sans a ridiculous price tag. $300 for a ball? That streams media? Who the hell thought that'd work?

Speaking of Nexus Q, did they ever follow up on this promise? If not, they should be sending out a CC to those people.

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 5:22 PM

Awesome review! I have a couple of questions:

I'm not sure if it picks up 5GHz WiFi bands.

Can you find out? I won't even take mine out of the box if it can't.

While tabbed browsing/casting is currently in beta, it's really cool.

Is it possible to stream Amazon Prime movies this way?

Also, Amazon--where the hell's my promo code?

I think you might be screwed. I received mine before it shipped.

I mean, this is like the Nexus Q 2, right? Sans awesome alien-ness. Oh, and sans a ridiculous price tag. $300 for a ball? That streams media? Who the hell thought that'd work?

Speaking of Nexus Q, did they ever follow up on this promise? If not, they should be sending out a CC to those people.

• Re: 5GHz WiFi ==> During the setup process you'd see the 5GHz band displayed on the "home screen" for the setup, but for some reason, it wouldn't showup when you had to select a network to connect to.  I can try doing a reset a bit later, but I suspect no 5GHz.  Particularly when you read the specs on Play.  Now, you're supposed to be able to control it if a device is on the same subnetwork (like my 2 NETGEAR bands), but I had some difficulty finding it when that was the case, so switching over to 2.4GHz on the One was the optimal solution.
    • EDIT: I'm currently using my Macbook on the 5GHz band and it's ok/streaming fine; still, the CC is connected to the 2.4GHz band.
  • Re: Streaming Amazon Prime ==> Short answer?  No.  I tried.  I was able to get full screen ONCE, but then the little Cast icon on my browser went "orange" for an issue (unsupported issues).  This linked to a page that basically said Silverlight/Quicktime are currently unsupported, and while you may get video, you will not get audio.  After the first experiment, I was unable to launch full screen (eerie), but was able to stream the little window just fine (sans audio of course.)  Here's the error page for it.  When I hit full screen on Prime, you just see a blank/black page where the streaming box was previously located (I guess the Cast doesn't "follow" the full screen mode).  Here's a screenshot for your reference.  Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 9.23.35 PM.png
  • Re: Promo Code ==> I called them this morning.  Official word was that I'd get it within 7 days of shipping, i.e. within 7 days of last Friday.  If it does not come before then, and if I meet the offer requirements (I do; I ordered on July 24, 2013, at 5pm EST, which is more than 3 hours prior to the 5:31 PST cut off), I'm to call and they'll forward it along.
  • Re: Nexus Q Dev Devices ==>  I don't think they did; and if they did, it doesn't matter because the apps (e.g. Play Music) have been updated to break compatibility with it.  On that basis alone Google should give early adopters a CC, no questions asked.  But then again, Google is absolutely heinous at handling their hardware stuff.

• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #4

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 5:41 PM

Same exact experience(s) with my CC so far. I'm excited for what the future holds as the devs/apps come on board.  Watched "The Hobbit" last night from Google Play, streamed it from the laptop to the TV via CC, jumped on my N7 to control playback and volume.  Very cool.  I wish Amazon would just make a friggin Android App already for Prime.  I need to try the CC and HBO Go on the laptop at some point too.  Also, plug and play of the CC on any TV in the house takes seconds to get up and running.  I need to just get another one, but still, very easy to move it from one TV to another.   I think we are witnessing the start of something really good here folks...I can hear the cable providers across the country now..."Fuuuuuuuuucccc..........".

• Cory Streater and N3xs like this

Lee Bo #5

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 5:58 PM

I got lucky and stopped in the local Best Buy last Friday and they happened to have 5 left.  Played with the dang thing all weekend, even running the battery dead on the Note II.  For $35 you really can't go wrong.

• Cory Streater, lpt2569 and N3xs like this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Cyber Warrior #6

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 5:59 PM

Im assuming this wont work for Amazon Prime:http://forums.theand...n-prime-movies/ because its Firefox and theres no cast option. If there were only a way to get the movies to play from the video player. Ugh, just make an app already Amazon that will stream.

Wait, can you cast from your devices Gallery/Video player?

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 29 '13 @ 6:09 PM

Im assuming this wont work for Amazon Prime:http://forums.theand...n-prime-movies/ because its Firefox and theres no cast option. If there were only a way to get the movies to play from the video player. Ugh, just make an app already Amazon that will stream.

Wait, can you cast from your devices Gallery/Video player?

Doesn't appear so.

And it's not really Amazon, it's Silverlight.  

tacsig513.png

N3xs #8

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 7:10 AM

Just a heads up ... if you have not gotten your CC and you think the Netflix promo is over, I think Best Buy is still able to bundle it...

I purchased it from Best Buy maybe 24 hours after the Netflix promo got cut and I still got my code by email 24 hours after I picked it up from the store...

As an existing Netflix user, I got a $24 credit for my service which brings the purchase of my CC down to $13.20...

I cannot wait for developers to start implementing cast into their apps!! 

dmmarck #9

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 7:18 AM

@N3xs,I'm just going to call Amazon daily until I get it. 

tacsig513.png

N3xs #10

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 7:24 AM

I'm just going to call Amazon daily until I get it. 

LOL, you should! .... you can always take 'em to court (familiar grounds) ;)  

Lee Bo #11

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 8:05 AM

I ran my phone dead again last night playing with my Chromecast.  I may have to buy another one to keep at work.  Showing it off on a 70" and 80" touchscreen monitor would be badass!

Updated by Lee Bo, Jul 30 '13 @ 8:05 AM.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

lpt2569 #12

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 10:06 AM

Yep.

Attached Images

• uploadfromtaptalk1375207600511.jpg

dmmarck #13

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 1:04 PM

Yep.

Got mine as well.

A discount of $23.97 has been applied to your account.
  • Cory Streater and lpt2569 like this

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #14

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jul 30 '13 @ 11:14 PM

I wish Amazon would just make a friggin Android App already for Prime.

It's ridiculous!!!
  • lpt2569 likes this

dmmarck #15

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Jul 31 '13 @ 3:54 AM

It's ridiculous!!!

Don't they have an app for iOS?

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #16

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Jul 31 '13 @ 4:46 AM

It's ridiculous!!!

Don't they have an app for iOS?

Yes.

creccaj #17

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Jul 31 '13 @ 4:50 AM

According to Amazon my Chromecast shipped yesterday and is expected to be delivered tomorrow.  

• lpt2569 likes this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

Malik Suleman #18

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 16 '15 @ 10:10 PM

yeah off course it will be