moto x

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jul 31 '13 @ 1:51 PM

What the heck is the X8? Motorola's new processing system powers the Droid Ultra, Droid Mini and Droid Maxx, and it's anticipated to be under the hood of Motorola's new Moto X, coming tomorrow.

The X8 isn't a processor, and it isn't a system-on-a-chip. It appears to be shorthand for combining a customized Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro SoC with two DSPs, one of which can function essentially as a low-power CPU.

"If you look at the X8 mobile computing system, it has a cluster of processors and then some separate elements of the system," said Iqbal Arshad, Motorola's senior vice president of engineering. The goal was to move away from a primarily CPU-based architecture to save power and do "intelligent, probabilistic computing," he said.

But still, let's start with the CPU; it's the easiest part to understand. The X8's CPU is, basically, a 28nm Qualcomm S4 Pro running at 1.7GHz. Motorola has customized the chip's firmware, though.

Continue reading: PCmag

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 8:18 AM

So basically Motorola designed two single purpose ASIC chips. One specifically handles physical end user interaction, and another that specifically processes language, audio, and noise cancellation. Both are normally processed by the CPU using 3rd party software. By offloading these features onto distinct chips, the primary CPU will not need to be as beefy as we all wished it had been. Motorola is leveraging its IP to accomplish these features without relying on 3rd party technology. Is that correct?

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 8:24 AM

Sounds like it.. so what's your thoughts on this? (even though it hasn't been tested or seen by the real world)

Still doesn't impress you? I think this could be good, we needed a way for the software to take advantage of the hardware and this sounds like it will do it.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 10:15 AM

Sounds like it.. so what's your thoughts on this? (even though it hasn't been tested or seen by the real world)

Still doesn't impress you? I think this could be good, we needed a way for the software to take advantage of the hardware and this sounds like it will do it.

Here's my fear: how good will it be a year from now?  Is it a device made to last an "upgrade" cycle, or is it a device made to be replaced yearly?  I sort of think the latter, but will differ to the actual announcement and actual specs.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Malik Suleman #5

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 16 '15 @ 2:07 PM

yeah its very best option