• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 11:20 AM

Few quick thoughts/reactions:

First, it'll be $199 on contract.  Those off contract, $300 dreams?  Crushed by reality.

Second, the specs are middling at best.  Motorola is focusing on it being a "real world" device, even if that real world lasts only a fraction of the 2 year contract.  That means the X8 mobile computing system.  "Real world" also means screen technology from 2011, which I guess is necessary for its alleged 24 hour battery life.  The issue, to me, is not whether it's awesome now.  The issue is whether it will be awesome at the end of the 2 year contract you just signed to get the bloody thing.  My guess?  It'll be good for a year, but once the contract update comes around you'd do anything to get out of it.

Third, the customizations are awesome.  If you're on AT&T.  Otherwise, I hope you like cheap white/black plastic.  Oh yeah, I hope you don't need 32gb either--that's another AT&T exclusive.

Oh well.  I sort of bought into the hype around 11 a.m. this morning.  Right now, I'm feeling fully vindicated.  Which is an odd, and somewhat sad feeling.  If anyone had a shot at rivaling Samsung, it could have been Motorola.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 11:34 AM

Disappointing. I guess that whole "designed by you" thing was the X's biggest hook. Besides that camera UI.

lpt2569 #3

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 11:36 AM

Yep.  Disappointing considering the hype.  I was hoping the hype would be validated with great pricing or software features we hadn't heard about from leaks (they did keep Chromecast a secret after all - at least I never saw anything about it prior to the reveal).  Oh well.  Note 3 for me.

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 11:40 AM

Disappointing. I guess that whole "designed by you" thing was the X's biggest hook. Besides that camera UI.

You can design it, but you have to be on AT&T.

Honestly, and I said this elsewhere:  I haven't been this underwhelmed since I saw the iPhone 5 debut.

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #5

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 11:43 AM

Honestly, and I said this elsewhere:  I haven't been this underwhelmed since I saw the iPhone 5 debut.

I think the customization aspect will be available with all carriers eventually, no?  Just exclusive at first with AT&T for a couple months maybe?

creccaj #6

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 11:58 AM

This is the Bionic all over again.  Motorola has a huge problem with the concept of advertising vs. actual product.  They make it seem like this is going to reinvent the wheel but in reality it's just another bolt holding the wheel on the car.  Nothing special from the other 4 bolts holding the wheel on.  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 12:04 PM

I think the customization aspect will be available with all carriers eventually, no?  Just exclusive at first with AT&T for a couple months maybe?

And by that time, we'll have the G2, Nexus 5, Sony Honami, etc.

• lpt2569 likes this

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #8

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 12:07 PM

BTW, rumor has it:

$575/$630 off contract.

tacsig513.png

N3xs #9

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 12:46 PM

I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!!! smileyvault-tomatoes.gif

lpt2569 #10

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 12:48 PM

BTW, rumor has it:

$575/$630 off contract.

doh!!!

C Sab #11

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 12:56 PM

Still a fail, why not have the customization available to everyone in the beginning? Exclusives are braindead and kind of defeats the purpose of trying to sell as many units as possible.

dmmarck #12

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 1:00 PM

Still a fail, why not have the customization available to everyone in the beginning? Exclusives are braindead and kind of defeats the purpose of trying to sell as many units as possible.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

tacsig513.png

C Sab #13

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 1:36 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That would be a reason to have your products available on as many carrier as possible. Which they haven't done.

lpt2569 #14

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 2:25 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That would be a reason to have your products available on as many carrier as possible. Which they haven't done.

My guess is AT&T paid an ungodly sum of money upfront to Moto/Google for exclusivity rights. That's guaranteed cash, which beats hoping your product sells in order to make some money.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

C Sab #15

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 2:30 PM

Which it probably won't now.

Cory Streater #16

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 1 '13 @ 3:30 PM

On paper, this thing will be dead by Christmas, especially if you're a spec whore. That said, it's not the specs that are important, it's the experience. If an AT&T rep had the choice between selling based on a spec sheet or demoing all of that contextual awareness stuff, which do you think they would choose? 

For my part, I'm going to refrain from judgement until I've actually used one. I think they might be doing some interesting performance things with the addition of custom ASIC chips. I will not accept any lag whatsoever nor a less than stellar screen. I'm pretty certain the screen will fail me, but we'll see.

• lpt2569 and N3xs like this

Frogvmwar #17

Frogvmwar
  • 4 posts

Posted Nov 5 '15 @ 11:01 PM

Few quick thoughts/reactions:

First, it'll be $199 on contract.  Those off contract, $300 dreams?  Crushed by reality.

Second, the specs are middling at best.  Motorola is focusing on it being a "real world" device, even if that real world lasts only a fraction of the 2 year contract.  That means the X8 mobile computing system.  "Real world" also means screen technology from 2011, which I guess is necessary for its alleged 24 hour battery life.  The issue, to me, is not whether it's awesome now.  The issue is whether it will be awesome at the end of the 2 year contract you just signed to get the bloody thing.  My guess?  It'll be good for a year, but once the contract update comes around you'd do anything to get out of it.

Third, the customizations are awesome.  If you're on AT&T.  Otherwise, I hope you like cheap white/black plastic.  Oh yeah, I hope you don't need 32gb either--that's another AT&T exclusive.

Oh well.  I sort of bought into the hype around 11 a.m. this morning.  Right now, I'm feeling fully vindicated.  Which is an odd, and somewhat sad feeling.  If anyone had a shot at rivaling Samsung, it could have been Motorola.

ujy9uhy6.jpg

Malik Suleman #18

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 28 '15 @ 1:45 AM

please give me review about phone.

want to sale, mail me at [email protected]