wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 6:56 AM

The new kid on the block

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

C Sab #34

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 8:17 AM

The girl next door.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

Jerrod #35

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Sep 15 '13 @ 5:26 PM

​The original post in this thread compared the specs of the Optimus G and the Nexus 4, the specks listed were the same.  My question is what specs were different between these two phones?  I am asking because most people seem to think that the Nexus line has less specs than high end phones and that there is a compromise make to reduce the price.  So what WERE the differences in these two phones, and what do you think we can expect this time with differences between the G2 and the next Nexus phone?

Cyber Warrior #36

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Sep 15 '13 @ 7:10 PM

Every spec was identical except the Optimus G offered more storage.. but the Nexus 4 was half the price $300-350 while the Optimus G was about $600 off contract.

I guess it came down to it being a Google Play product to where they don't have to deal with carriers subsidized pricing.. Also the lack of LTE usually drops the price by $100.

Why it was considered a low end hardware phone?... I guess it could be the 720 screen, instead of using a 1080p which was out at the time in the Droid DNA. Using the Snapdragon processor vs the Exynos.. is one really that much better? Not sure.

Nexus phones were always said to be more about the software with okay hardware.. but if rumors are true, this next Nexus 5 will be a beast.. which raises the question, how much is it going to cost? Then there's the other rumor of a lower end Motorola version also being released but I've yet to see any evidence of that.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Jerrod #37

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 15 '13 @ 8:11 PM

So the Nexus 4 has the same  specs, camera and camera software as the Optimus G, but no LTE.

What good is a phone nowadays without LTE?

So if this next Nexus has the same specs and software as the G2 along with LTE....how many people do you think are going to be complaining about the price of it?

It seems like people expect to get a quality device but pay nothing for it.

C Sab #38

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 16 '13 @ 3:43 AM

So the Nexus 4 has the same specs, camera and camera software as the Optimus G, but no LTE.
What good is a phone nowadays without LTE?

To someone like me, someone that couldn't care less about LTE, it's the same amount of good. :D

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

Jerrod #39

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 16 '13 @ 11:08 AM

So did the Nexus 4 have the same camera but different camera software?  I guess it seems like Google has made some compromises with the phones - last time it was the screen  and no LTE -  so that they are not exactly identical so I am wondering what compromises will made this time.  I would really like to have the 1080p screen even it is a bit smaller.  I would really like to have LTE even though I am on Wifi most of the day.  Don't care where those buttons are.

I am willing to pay more for these things.

N3xs #40

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Sep 16 '13 @ 3:43 PM

It seems the Nexus line always have a smaller battery and shitty camera... I dont know about the N4 but I believe it had a different camera sensor and a smaller battery than the optimus G... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Cyber Warrior #41

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Sep 16 '13 @ 3:48 PM

Not sure about the camera but battery size was the same.. 2100mAh.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Treknologist #42

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Sep 16 '13 @ 5:48 PM

Just saw this news from Android Headlines...  http://www.androidhe...-processor.html

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Jerrod #43

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 17 '13 @ 1:04 PM

Not sure I even care too much about the Camera.  I have the Gnex and the camera is OK.  I also have HDR+ app which takes excellent pictures with the Gnex camera hardware.

My friends are always commenting on how much better my phone camera is than theirs.  And they have iphones.  

dmmarck #44

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Sep 18 '13 @ 4:45 AM

Just saw this news from Android Headlines... http://www.androidhe...-processor.html

Excellent

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

zero neck #45

zero neck
  • The Ever-Living
  • 63 posts
  • Device: One.

Posted Sep 23 '13 @ 6:06 PM

Quick anecdote: the nexus name could very well come from the movie Blade Runner where the new advanced humanoid androids are called Nexus 6... Voilà!... Now im off to watch into the darkness, cheersSent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Correct.. Googles Nexus line represents the best of what Android has to offer. The name comes from the movie Blade Runner which was based off the book 'Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep' which is about:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a science fiction novel by American writer Philip K. Dick. First published in 1968, the book served as the primary basis for the 1982 film Blade Runner. The novel is set in a post-apocalyptic near future, where Earth and its populations have been damaged greatly by nuclear war during World War Terminus. Most types of animals are endangered or extinct due to extreme radiation poisoning from the war. To own an animal is a sign of status, but what is emphasized more is the empathic emotions humans experience towards an animal.
The main plot follows Rick Deckard, a bounty hunter who is faced with "retiring" six escaped Nexus-6 brain model androids, the latest and most advanced model, while a secondary plot follows John Isidore, a man of sub-normal intelligence who aids the fugitive androids. In connection with Deckard's mission, the novel explores the issue of what it is to be human. Unlike humans, the androids possess no empathic sense. In essence, Deckard probes the existence of defining qualities that separate humans from androids.

http://en.m.wikipedi...Electric_Sheep?
Nexus 6.. the most advanced Android model :D

Philip k dick novels are the shiznit.