• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 11:11 AM

My notes from todays event:

LG today unveiled its latest flagship smartphone LG G2, the first smartphone introduced under LG’s new “G” Series for premium devices.

Attached File  LG_G2-01-Side-Back.jpg   50.55K   1 downloads

Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of LG, opened the announcement by stating that "the definition of innovation today is technology that truly resonates with consumers. We have always listened to and learned from consumers in pursuit of innovation. We took these insights to new heights in developing LG G2."

The G2 will be rolled out in over 130 wireless carriers in the next eight weeks starting in South Korea followed North America, Europe and other key markets. Specific dates for market availability will vary by region and carrier. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon are all slated to carry the G2.

Specs:

The specs on this phone are downright delicious.
  • Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 featuring quad Krait CPU
  • Display: 5.2-inch Full HD IPS
  • 1080 x 1920 pixels at a whopping 423 ppi (pixels per inch)
  • Graphic RAM (GRAM) technology. GRAM reduces the display’s energy use by up to 26 percent on a still frame and increases overall usage time on the device by approximately 10 percent.
  • Internal storage: 32GB / 16GB
  • RAM: 2GB LPDDR3 800MHz. 
  • Rear camera: 13.0MP with an anti-fingerprint saphire lens and OIS (optical image stabalization)
  • Front camera: 2.1MP
  • Battery: 3,000mAh
  • Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 <--- not 4.3 as previsouly specualted, although updates are surely to follow
  • Size: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm
  • Support for 4G LTE Advanced networks & carrier aggregation
  • Available in black or white
Features:

Attached File  LG-G2-Learns-From-You.jpg   74.81K   1 downloads

James Fishler, Senior Vice President of Marketing, opened by saying "My job today is to convince you that the LG G2 is the most exciting smartphone on the planet, and that means I have a very easy job."

James pitched the G2 as a smartphone that emphasizes comfort, functionality, convenience and unmatched design.

Button Placement:

Attached File  button placement.jpg   61.94K   1 downloads

All button functions have been moved to a single button on the rear of the device making it the first smartphone with a seamless bezel. The back button, dubbed the "Rear Key" moves traditional side button functions such as volume, power, and camera control the Rear Key.

LG researchers found that the larger a phone becomes, the more difficult it is to properly access the side keys — so they've positioned it on the back to allow for a more natural position for the index finger. Researchers also found that moving the buttons resulted in fewer dropped phones when adjusting the volume while talking.

Long-pressing on the rear-mounted volume keys allows users to launch QuickMemo for note taking, the camera, and note taking.

Attached File  LandR.jpg   67.9K   1 downloads

Lefties and righties alike will be able to interact with the rear button with the same level of comfort.

James says, "It's a great idea. It's your idea. We learned it from you."

Camera:

Attached File  camera.jpg   68.43K   1 downloads

The G2's camera lens is fingerprint friendly and constructed out of sapphire crystal glass.

Attached File  Camera2.jpg   63.28K   1 downloads

The camera features OIS (optical image stabilization) and a 13MP rear camera. OIS prevents blurring when shooting images while in motion or shooting in dim environments.

LG combines both 13MP and OIS technologies without the additional bulk of protruding lenses you'll find on other high end smartphones (read HTC One and Galaxy S4).

Sound:

The G2 will be the first smartphone on the market to feature 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback that reproduces studio-like quality sound, superior to CD's — CD's being the standard LG argues is the traditional bar for optimal sound.

Display:

Dual routing touch sensors

Attached File  dual-routing.jpg   87.45K   1 downloads

On the display, there are little cross sensors that touch one another like tiles. Once a person touches the display, the touch sensors send a signal through a connector, to the chipset, which in turn fires up the application that the desired application.

Touch sensors on existing products only allow for a single connector. By using sensors that support dual connectors, LG is able to reduce the size of the bezel to only 1/10th of an inch.

Graphic RAM (GRAM)

The use of GRAM reduces the displays energy consumption by up to 26% on a still frame, and increases usage time by about 10%.

LG Software:

The G2 will include a number of unique software applications:
  • Knock On — If the phone is lying flat on a table, users can bypass the rear physical button by simply tapping the phone twice to power it on. 

• Answer Me — automatically answers the call after lowering the ringtone when the phone is raised to one’s ear.

• Plug & Pop — recommends options or related features to choose from when the earphone or USB cable is detected.

• Text Link — Allows information embedded in text messages to be selected and easily saved in a memo or calendar and searched on a map or the internet.

• QuickRemote — Not only can LG G2 be used to remotely control popular home entertainment devices, it can also learn from conventional remotes and be customized to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys.

• Slide Aside — Enables easier multitasking by simply “sliding” open apps off to the side using a three-finger swipe.

• Guest Mode — Protects owner’s privacy by displaying only pre-selected apps when guests access the phone with a secondary unlock pattern.
More product images:
Attached File  LG_G2-02-Front.jpg   23.19K   1 downloads

Attached File  LG_G2-03-Side.jpg   22.3K   1 downloads
  • Cyber Warrior, 7stringer and Ahowe125 like this

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 11:35 AM

So, who's in besides me?

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 11:37 AM

The font is an atrocity and it is insulting to the civilized world.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 11:42 AM

Says the one who's using a One :P

dmmarck #5

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 11:44 AM

#holowarrior

Sense wasn't bad.  It had its own design shortcomings.  It did not, however, look like it was designed by a 7 year old with 20/50 vision.  Apparently LG has an abundance of such designers in its software department.

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 11:53 AM

#holowarrior

Sense wasn't bad.  It had its own design shortcomings.  It did not, however, look like it was designed by a 7 year old with 20/50 vision.  Apparently LG has an abundance of such designers in its software department.

I'm extremely aplogetic that you feel so rotten about not having an S800 processor.

AOSP anyone?

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 11:59 AM

#holowarrior

I'm extremely aplogetic that you feel so rotten about not having an S800 processor.

AOSP anyone?

Sure, when it's the Nexus :P.

And you don't have an S800 either!

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #8

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 12:06 PM

Sure, when it's the Nexus .

That's the problem. Google insists on using last years technology in the guts of their phones. It will be 2014 before we see an S600 processor, and probably 2015 before we see an 800.

The Verge:

Cory Streater #9

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 12:13 PM

I'll say this much though... this phone does belong in the HTC One or the original Nexus' chassis. I don't understand why we can't have it all. I despise plastic.
  • dmmarck and 7stringer like this

Treknologist #10

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 1:20 PM

This does look like an impressive phone. They really have upped their game!
  • Cory Streater likes this

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

dmmarck #11

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 4:04 PM

Agreed.  I would have laughed if you suggested LG made awesome stuff not 2 years ago.

tacsig513.png

Treknologist #12

Treknologist
  • 128 posts

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 5:19 PM

Agreed.  I would have laughed if you suggested LG made awesome stuff not 2 years ago.

You and me, both!

Cyber Warrior #13

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 7 '13 @ 6:42 PM

I want one :)

The phone looks amazing both physically and spec wise. Love the idea of the dual speakers, reminds me of my iMac. The power button placement I'm not too thrilled about but it looks cool... gotta try it before I knock it. The features actually seem useful unlike most of what Samsung incorporates. The only thing I'm not too wild about is the user interface.. looks blah and more childish than TouchWiz. However I may be able to put that besides me based on everything else. The phone is like no other and that's what I like about it, it's refreshing compared to everything I've owned in the past.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

7stringer #14

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 5:52 AM

If this is the design template for the Nexus 5, like the G series was for the Nexus 4, I approve for the most part. 

• Cory Streater likes this

I have the Rickets! 

Christopher Coleman #15

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 7:06 AM

They did. Just not for you. LG used to kill the budget / prepaid line back in the day.

dmmarck #16

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 7:18 AM

Agreed. I would have laughed if you suggested LG made awesome stuff not 2 years ago.
They did. Just not for you. LG used to kill the budget / prepaid line back in the day.
True. I really need a better understanding of that market.

Also, I leave you all this monstrosity:

usuqyved.jpg

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #17

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 9:32 PM

I'll admit, the UI leaves a little to be desired, but it's a beast to be reckoned with. Software can be fixed. Processors and screen choices cannot.

Treknologist #18

Treknologist
  • 128 posts

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 11:45 AM

Well, I went to the LG event they had last night here in Miami to show the G2.  I admit that I'm impressed with the hardware on this phone.  The screen truly is gorgeous and I couldn't believe how noticeable it is going from 720p to 1080p on a 5" screen.  Wow!  The phone is just about the same size as the N4 but the front is pretty much all screen.  I like what LG has done there by minimizingthe bezels.  The software, on the other hand, left much to be desired.  I do not like how they've altered some of the basic Android functions.  For example, the only way to get Google Now is to have the search widget always present and tapping on it.  If you press and hold the home icon, what you get is the recent apps.  WTF?!?!?  Anyhow, if the N5 (or whatever the next Nexus phone will be called) is truly based off t his hardware, we are in for a treat.