LG today unveiled its latest flagship smartphone LG G2, the first smartphone introduced under LG’s new “G” Series for premium devices.
LG_G2-01-Side-Back.jpg 50.55K 1 downloads
Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of LG, opened the announcement by stating that "the definition of innovation today is technology that truly resonates with consumers. We have always listened to and learned from consumers in pursuit of innovation. We took these insights to new heights in developing LG G2."
The G2 will be rolled out in over 130 wireless carriers in the next eight weeks starting in South Korea followed North America, Europe and other key markets. Specific dates for market availability will vary by region and carrier. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon are all slated to carry the G2.
The specs on this phone are downright delicious.
- Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 featuring quad Krait CPU
- Display: 5.2-inch Full HD IPS
- 1080 x 1920 pixels at a whopping 423 ppi (pixels per inch)
- Graphic RAM (GRAM) technology. GRAM reduces the display’s energy use by up to 26 percent on a still frame and increases overall usage time on the device by approximately 10 percent.
- Internal storage: 32GB / 16GB
- RAM: 2GB LPDDR3 800MHz.
- Rear camera: 13.0MP with an anti-fingerprint saphire lens and OIS (optical image stabalization)
- Front camera: 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh
- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 <--- not 4.3 as previsouly specualted, although updates are surely to follow
- Size: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm
- Support for 4G LTE Advanced networks & carrier aggregation
- Available in black or white
LG-G2-Learns-From-You.jpg 74.81K 1 downloads
James Fishler, Senior Vice President of Marketing, opened by saying "My job today is to convince you that the LG G2 is the most exciting smartphone on the planet, and that means I have a very easy job."
James pitched the G2 as a smartphone that emphasizes comfort, functionality, convenience and unmatched design.
button placement.jpg 61.94K 1 downloads
All button functions have been moved to a single button on the rear of the device making it the first smartphone with a seamless bezel. The back button, dubbed the "Rear Key" moves traditional side button functions such as volume, power, and camera control the Rear Key.
LG researchers found that the larger a phone becomes, the more difficult it is to properly access the side keys — so they've positioned it on the back to allow for a more natural position for the index finger. Researchers also found that moving the buttons resulted in fewer dropped phones when adjusting the volume while talking.
Long-pressing on the rear-mounted volume keys allows users to launch QuickMemo for note taking, the camera, and note taking.
LandR.jpg 67.9K 1 downloads
Lefties and righties alike will be able to interact with the rear button with the same level of comfort.
James says, "It's a great idea. It's your idea. We learned it from you."
camera.jpg 68.43K 1 downloads
The G2's camera lens is fingerprint friendly and constructed out of sapphire crystal glass.
Camera2.jpg 63.28K 1 downloads
The camera features OIS (optical image stabilization) and a 13MP rear camera. OIS prevents blurring when shooting images while in motion or shooting in dim environments.
LG combines both 13MP and OIS technologies without the additional bulk of protruding lenses you'll find on other high end smartphones (read HTC One and Galaxy S4).
The G2 will be the first smartphone on the market to feature 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback that reproduces studio-like quality sound, superior to CD's — CD's being the standard LG argues is the traditional bar for optimal sound.
Dual routing touch sensors
dual-routing.jpg 87.45K 1 downloads
On the display, there are little cross sensors that touch one another like tiles. Once a person touches the display, the touch sensors send a signal through a connector, to the chipset, which in turn fires up the application that the desired application.
Touch sensors on existing products only allow for a single connector. By using sensors that support dual connectors, LG is able to reduce the size of the bezel to only 1/10th of an inch.
Graphic RAM (GRAM)
The use of GRAM reduces the displays energy consumption by up to 26% on a still frame, and increases usage time by about 10%.
The G2 will include a number of unique software applications:
- Knock On — If the phone is lying flat on a table, users can bypass the rear physical button by simply tapping the phone twice to power it on.
- Answer Me — automatically answers the call after lowering the ringtone when the phone is raised to one’s ear.
- Plug & Pop — recommends options or related features to choose from when the earphone or USB cable is detected.
- Text Link — Allows information embedded in text messages to be selected and easily saved in a memo or calendar and searched on a map or the internet.
- QuickRemote — Not only can LG G2 be used to remotely control popular home entertainment devices, it can also learn from conventional remotes and be customized to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys.
- Slide Aside — Enables easier multitasking by simply “sliding” open apps off to the side using a three-finger swipe.
- Guest Mode — Protects owner’s privacy by displaying only pre-selected apps when guests access the phone with a secondary unlock pattern.
LG_G2-02-Front.jpg 23.19K 1 downloads
LG_G2-03-Side.jpg 22.3K 1 downloads