Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 3:57 PM

Nexus 5 Discussion: Nexus 5 Release Date Rumors and Specs Thread

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 4:20 PM

LG please. I would love to see the Nexus 5 with an S800 processor & a 5" screen.

• lpt2569 likes this

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 6:55 PM

I originally wanted Motorola but that LG G2 looks badass and I wouldn't mind seeing something based off of that design. Although this whole Qualcomm thing has me worried.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 8 '13 @ 7:05 PM

Hooooooonaaaaaami

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

creccaj #5

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 3:33 AM

I would be perfectly happy with Sony or LG.  LG if they make it basically the same thing as the G2 (maybe minus the buttons on the back) or Sony simply because I LOVE the "slab" design of the Xperia models.  

Oh yea, specs have to be top notch as well no matter what :).

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

orlanka #6

orlanka
  • 3 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 5:38 AM

We know that the Nexus won't be setting the bar when it comes to internals and it's all about the software in the end. Give it to HTC as they're still the ones making the best looking phones out there and the Nexus line could really use a facelift.

Treknologist #7

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 5:38 AM

LG if they use the G2 as the base model!

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

icu #8

icu
  • 7 posts
  • Device: VZW GNex

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 7:54 AM

Personally, I think it should be Sony's turn. By all accounts they're putting together great hardware and nearly no OEM has been as cooperative with AOSP. Also, we now have AOSP on a flagship Samsung and HTC device and now Motorola as well - LG's N4 is still here and relevant.

Updated by icu, Aug 9 '13 @ 7:56 AM.

• Cyber Warrior, Christopher Coleman and dmmarck like this

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 8:32 AM

Oh yea, specs have to be top notch as well no matter what :).

So in a polite way, you're saying you don't want Motorola :P

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #10

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 9:47 AM

We know that the Nexus won't be setting the bar when it comes to internals and it's all about the software in the end. Give it to HTC as they're still the ones making the best looking phones out there and the Nexus line could really use a facelift.

If the past is any indication of the future, you've definitely got that one right.

Did you have the original Nexus? HTC did that one, and it was a smashing success.
  • Christopher Coleman likes this

N3xs #11

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 9:52 AM

HTC would be awesome imho...

Nexus means pure stock android so it's really all about the hardware and we all know HTC makes some killer hardware

• dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #12

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 9:57 AM

HTC would be awesome imho...

Nexus means pure stock android so it's really all about the hardware and we all know HTC makes some killer hardware

HTC is rubbish.

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #13

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 10:10 AM

LG if they make it basically the same thing as the G2

Plastic and 5"+ screen?  Who wants that???  ;)

dmmarck #14

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 10:14 AM

LG if they make it basically the same thing as the G2

Plastic and 5"+ screen? Who wants that??? ;)

Samsung connoisseurs.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

• Photopaul65 and lpt2569 like this

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #15

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 10:23 AM

I think it would be cool if Sony or Moto got a shot, and it looks like the stars could align for Moto this year.

• dmmarck and N3xs like this

Christopher Coleman #16

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 11:44 AM

I'd go for Sony or Motorola.  To be honest though, does it matter?

There are already at least two ideas of what the Nexus program is about in this thread, and I have a third: hardware working together with software to create the best experience (like Google's version of the iPhone.)  I think the fact that none of us can really define what Nexus is about, nor can Google really either, judging by the bipolar hardware quality of the entire Nexus line.

I don't think I care about the Nexus any longer.  Once Google can actually come up with a clean and concise vision for who they want to manufacture these devices for (general consumers or nerds), I'll start caring again.  For now though, I'm kind of done with it.

• dmmarck and lpt2569 like this

Jerrod #17

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Aug 9 '13 @ 12:24 PM

Lg or Moto is OK with me but I would want the S800 processor, a bad ass GPU a super LCD screen or IPS or whatever it is called, but in the same form factor of the Moto X.  It can have a 5 inch screen but it would have to practically fit into the same shell as the Moto X.  I don't want to haul large phones around cause I have no place to store them.

I used to think Moto would never stand a chance at getting a phone in the play store because it would make it look like they got preferential treatment, but Google has removed that barrier by selling devices from multiple carriers in the play store in advance.

• Cory Streater likes this

Photopaul65 #18

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 4:38 AM

I'm voting Moto, primarily so it has a chance to be on Verizon. It is the only way I'll ever see a new Nexus.

• dmmarck and Ahowe125 like this

creccaj #19

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 5:07 AM

Even if Moto make the nexus I highly doubt Verizon would see it. They would have to come out with a Dev edition Nexus lolol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• N3xs and Ahowe125 like this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Ahowe125 #20

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 5:24 AM

Double post.. lol Stupid internet at work.  

Updated by Ahowe125, Aug 10 '13 @ 5:25 AM.

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Ahowe125 #21

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 5:24 AM

I'm voting Moto, primarily so it has a chance to be on Verizon. It is the only way I'll ever see a new Nexus.

I'm kinda in the same boat, but for 2 reasons. What you said, and because I've been a Moto user since the Droid X. But then again I have not given any other manufacture a chance. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Cyber Warrior #22

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 10 '13 @ 5:32 AM

Even if Moto make the nexus I highly doubt Verizon would see it. They would have to come out with a Dev edition Nexus lolol.

From what I understand Verizon pissed off Google with what they did with the Galaxy Nexus but they may have new arrangements. The 2013 Nexus 7 will support LTE on 3 carriers- AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon.. It will not have a CDMA 3G radio however but can be purchased directly through Google with no carrier tie-in. They can, and I think will do the same thing with the Nexus 5.. 4G only is fine with me as long as it comes to Verizon.. In fact I'm willing to give up my 3G as long as Verizon can't get their hands on the thing :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

• Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #23

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 5:52 AM

From what I understand Verizon pissed off Google with what they did with the Galaxy Nexus but they may have new arrangements. The 2013 Nexus 7 will support LTE on 3 carriers- AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon.. It will not have a CDMA 3G radio however but can be purchased directly through Google with no carrier tie-in. They can, and I think will do the same thing with the Nexus 5.. 4G only is fine with me as long as it comes to Verizon.. In fact I'm willing to give up my 3G as long as Verizon can't get their hands on the thing :D

So if Verizon does this with the Nexus 5 it will not have CDMA?  So no way to make phone calls?  Or is CDMA only used for 3G?

I've been on Verizon for years, but my contract is up in December and I think it is time to make a change perhaps to AT&T.  I really don't care if I have a developers phone cause I don't develop, I just want a phone that does not have a manu skin and carrier bloat.  A phone that can get updates until the hardware can't run the new version.  If I want a different launcher I can buy one in the play store and if I get tired of it I can delete it from the phone.

This is why I want to buy my next phone from the play store and not a carrier and if the Nexus line is the only way I can ensure quick updates thats what I will have to get.

One more thing  If the next Nexus cannot support LTE on say AT&T then I will consider the MOTO and hold my breath that it will get the same updates as the Nexus.

creccaj #24

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 10:31 AM

So if Verizon does this with the Nexus 5 it will not have CDMA?  So no way to make phone calls?  Or is CDMA only used for 3G?

I've been on Verizon for years, but my contract is up in December and I think it is time to make a change perhaps to AT&T.  I really don't care if I have a developers phone cause I don't develop, I just want a phone that does not have a manu skin and carrier bloat.  A phone that can get updates until the hardware can't run the new version.  If I want a different launcher I can buy one in the play store and if I get tired of it I can delete it from the phone.

This is why I want to buy my next phone from the play store and not a carrier and if the Nexus line is the only way I can ensure quick updates thats what I will have to get.

One more thing  If the next Nexus cannot support LTE on say AT&T then I will consider the MOTO and hold my breath that it will get the same updates as the Nexus.

No the Nexus 5 would need to have CDMA if it was to be on Verizon as well as AT&T and T-Mobile.  They need to have a comparable 3G radio to go with the LTE radio considering the fact that not everyone has LTE service yet.  Verizon may claim they have 99.9% coverage with LTE but I know multiple people who are in the .1%.  Tablets can get away with it because you don't need to make phone calls or text messages.  Having cellular service on a tablet is a nice option but it is a necessity on a phone.  

I really hope that Verizon will get another Nexus but something tells me that it will be a long shot.  

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #25

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 10:38 AM

I need to read up more on this but I was under the impression Verizon was slowly ditching their 3G service in favor of 4G... whether thats LTE Advanced or something else is what I need to look into but here's some info on it. 

voLTE - Voice Over LTE  Launches in 2014

tacsig513.png

creccaj #26

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 1:05 PM

I need to read up more on this but I was under the impression Verizon was slowly ditching their 3G service in favor of 4G... whether thats LTE Advanced or something else is what I need to look into but here's some info on it. 

That may be the case but they are going to need to keep 3G for a while after that considering the fact that not everyone has a reliable 4G network yet.  It would be suicide for them to just stop supporting 3G without phasing it out.  Not to mention, 4G is still considered a battery hog compared to 3G but can you imagine voice over LTE?  Battery would drop 10% for every 10 minute phone call lol.  

tacsig513.png

C Sab #27

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 11 '13 @ 4:08 PM

LG did a great job with the N4, might as well stick with them for the N5 as well.

Photopaul65 #28

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 3:42 AM

The way I look at it, if the Moto X is on Verizon with full compatibility, drop the same chipset in the Nexus 5 and call it a day. Ideally, it would be the "hands off" approach and only available from Google Play.

Jerrod #29

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 9:04 AM

That may be the case but they are going to need to keep 3G for a while after that considering the fact that not everyone has a reliable 4G network yet.  It would be suicide for them to just stop supporting 3G without phasing it out.  Not to mention, 4G is still considered a battery hog compared to 3G but can you imagine voice over LTE?  Battery would drop 10% for every 10 minute phone call lol.  

They sure DO need to keep 3G.  Although I have Verizon 4G, in most parts of my house I can only get 3g.  I honestly think Verizons 3g is slower than At&Ts. 

Also agree with the remark about battery life.  4G sucks the life out of my phone battery.  When I am out and turn it on my phone turns into a hot mess that tears into the battery in no time.  Can't even imagine how this would be with voLTE.  I guess my phone would be constantly switching back and forth while I am making a call or constantly looking for 4G.  I wonder if all of those antennas in the Moto x are there as a way to help with this?

I read the comments in the link by that woman.  She says that demand for 3G will be shrinking.  Well I am not demanding it, but that's what they are able to give me in my home and some parts of my neighborhood.

Also has anyone considered what this means as far as cost.  I imagine that the Verizon accountants are already in the back room figuring out how they are going to charge more for everything over LTE.

Updated by Jerrod, Aug 12 '13 @ 9:08 AM.

C Sab #30

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 12:04 PM

I get 4G everywhere I go, and it's enough for me. I have no interest in LTE.

Reply to this topic