Photo

Who Should Manufacture The Nexus 5?

Started by Cory Streater ,

Jerrod #31

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 12:25 PM

I get 4G everywhere I go, and it's enough for me. I have no interest in LTE.

What kind of 4G do you get if it is not LTE and from which carrier?

C Sab #32

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 12:29 PM

I get 4G everywhere I go, and it's enough for me. I have no interest in LTE.

What kind of 4G do you get if it is not LTE and from which carrier?

Just 4G data speeds, and I'm with Rogers. My phone doesn't support LTE.

creccaj #33

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 12:38 PM

I have HSPA+ which is basically 4G as well and the speeds have been perfectly fine for me and I was coming from a Verizon LTE area.  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

Photopaul65 #34

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 3:45 AM

Well, now the LG rumors are back. 

There was babble last year that Google was talking about several different manufacturers making Nexus phones, could it be that we get a couple of them this year?

Now that, my friend, would be a party!

Chris Kerrigan #35

Chris Kerrigan
  • Inconspicuously Inconspicuous
  • 34 posts
  • Device: Droid RAZR HD MAXX

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 6:16 AM

I'm in small company, but I really want it to be HTC. 

The Nexus One was, in my opinion, still the best all-around built Nexus device. And newer launches like the HTC One prove that they still have some amazing talent who can pump out some beautifully designed and well-built devices (Personally, I feel the HTC One is the best designed Android phone on the market). 

HTC is desperately trying to crawl its way back into relevance even within the Android world, and I just don't feel Google's collaboration/ownership with/of Motorola is at the point where they should be the next OEM to be given the green light to produce Google's next flagship product. 

• dmmarck likes this

Motorola Droid > Motorola Droid X > Samsung Fascinate > Samsung Galaxy S III > Motorola Droid RAZR HD MAXX

creccaj #36

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 6:39 AM

Oppo to make the next Nexus.  WHOS WITH ME!

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Jerrod #37

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 7:03 AM

I have HSPA+ which is basically 4G as well and the speeds have been perfectly fine for me and I was coming from a Verizon LTE area.  

Are you in South Jersey on AT&T?  If so i have questions for you

creccaj #38

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 10:10 AM

North Jersey my friend. 

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #39

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 10:22 AM

North Jersey my friend. 

Its all good.  I am thinking of switching from verizon  to AT&T so I can get a phone from the play store and have updates from Google just like my tablet, so I went to sensorly.com to see what signal strenghts folks were reporting.  4G for AT&T not too strong to non existent  in my zip code which is 19106, but maybe it depends on how many people have AT&T in that zip code I dunno, so I was wondering what part of Jersey you lived in and if it was south then what kind of signal you were getting.  

creccaj #40

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 10:44 AM

North Jersey my friend. 

Its all good.  I am thinking of switching from verizon  to AT&T so I can get a phone from the play store and have updates from Google just like my tablet, so I went to sensorly.com to see what signal strenghts folks were reporting.  4G for AT&T not too strong to non existent  in my zip code which is 19106, but maybe it depends on how many people have AT&T in that zip code I dunno, so I was wondering what part of Jersey you lived in and if it was south then what kind of signal you were getting.  

Yea northern NJ I get mostly HSPA+ but when I had my One I did notice that I had 1 or 2 spots of LTE around certain areas but still they need to start upgrading their network in NJ as a whole.  

tacsig513.png

Christopher Coleman #41

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 11:17 AM

There was babble last year that Google was talking about several different manufacturers making Nexus phones, could it be that we get a couple of them this year?

Pretty sure we have them already and they're called Google Play Editions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

7stringer #42

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 12:22 PM

I think that the Nexus 5 should be manufactured.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

• dmmarck and N3xs like this

I have the Rickets! 

Cyber Warrior #43

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 1:26 PM

I think that the Nexus 5 should be manufactured. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Yes.. me too lol

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Photopaul65 #44

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Aug 14 '13 @ 5:52 PM

Pretty sure we have them already and they're called Google Play Editions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Still not sure what to make of the Google Play Editions. As overpriced as they are, to me it's no better than a rom on a standard OEM phone. Certain functions disappear, or just suck (HTC One GE camera), and weird bits of the OEM skin still floating around (Touchwiz buttons in the GS4 GE). Seems like it was a good idea, but it's like they rushed them to the market.

Still interested to see this evolve. Maybe they'll end up being more like Nexus phones eventually.

• Cyber Warrior likes this

creccaj #45

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 15 '13 @ 4:48 AM

As much as I would love to see more Nexus devices I really can only see Google having just one official Nexus branded device.  They don't want to promote competition between their own line of devices and one must think that having 2 sets of hardware would slow down updates slightly due to the fact that they would need to write and OS for both devices.  Granted that probably won't changed timing that much, at most a day or two I would think but it could be concerning to those who want everything instantaneously.  

If anything, I could see the Moto X becoming the new Nexus.  It would be the phone that proves you don't need top of the line hardware to run Android.  That being said, being made in the US I can't see it being priced to compete with the current Nexus 4.  

tacsig513.png

C Sab #46

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 15 '13 @ 10:13 AM

The Nexus devices aren't really meant to make a profit anyway so I don't see there being multiple devices either.

Treknologist #47

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Aug 15 '13 @ 11:27 AM

And the rumors continue. Again with rumors of LG making the next Nexus based on the G2 but with some modifications. Take a look...http://androidcommun...icing-20130813/
  • dmmarck likes this

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

C Sab #48

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 15 '13 @ 2:48 PM

G2 looks good so that wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

dmmarck #49

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 6:26 PM

The Nexus devices aren't really meant to make a profit anyway so I don't see there being multiple devices either.

Agreed.

Sent from my M7 running CM10.2

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

creccaj #50

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 17 '13 @ 5:46 AM

Yea but they aren't going to sell them at a lose either.  If they sold every Nexus device at a lose then the Nexus program would be as good as dead.  Besides, if anyone really thinks that Google or the OEM doesn't make money on the Nexus program is out of their mind.  The board of directors would not approve something that is purposely not suppose to make a profit unless its for the great good of society.  Hate to say it, but a Nexus isn't for the great good of all society :P.  Android society yes, total society no. 

Maybe that's the accountant in me talking but I have been around enough CEOs, CFOs and Boards to know that no matter what type of company, big or small, will produce a device that they willingly will take a hit on profits.  My guess is the Nexus is either sold at cost or slightly above cost.  

This is why I believe the Moto X won't be the next Nexus.  If it is sold at cost, it won't be price competitive.  It costs more to make it in the US.  Employee wages, union dues, taxes and overhead are significantly more than if you were to get a phone from overseas.  They would have to recoup that cost somewhere.... and usually that goes to the consumer.  

tacsig513.png

Chris Kerrigan #51

Chris Kerrigan
  • Inconspicuously Inconspicuous
  • 34 posts
  • Device: Droid RAZR HD MAXX

Posted Aug 17 '13 @ 6:02 AM

Yea but they aren't going to sell them at a lose either.  If they sold every Nexus device at a lose then the Nexus program would be as good as dead.  Besides, if anyone really thinks that Google or the OEM doesn't make money on the Nexus program is out of their mind.  The board of directors would not approve something that is purposely not suppose to make a profit unless its for the great good of society.  Hate to say it, but a Nexus isn't for the great good of all society :P.  Android society yes, total society no. 

Maybe that's the accountant in me talking but I have been around enough CEOs, CFOs and Boards to know that no matter what type of company, big or small, will produce a device that they willingly will take a hit on profits.  My guess is the Nexus is either sold at cost or slightly above cost.  

This is why I believe the Moto X won't be the next Nexus.  If it is sold at cost, it won't be price competitive.  It costs more to make it in the US.  Employee wages, union dues, taxes and overhead are significantly more than if you were to get a phone from overseas.  They would have to recoup that cost somewhere.... and usually that goes to the consumer.  

Most of Google's profit gain from these products isn't from the hardware anyway, it's from the users gained. More people on Android = more people using Google services, more ads, etc. THAT is where Google recoups a vast majority of their profits from Android. I don't think Google is selling Nexus devices for a loss, but I'd be willing to bet that they're selling them at-cost. 

• Cory Streater and C Sab like this

Motorola Droid > Motorola Droid X > Samsung Fascinate > Samsung Galaxy S III > Motorola Droid RAZR HD MAXX

creccaj #52

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 17 '13 @ 6:30 AM

Yea but they aren't going to sell them at a lose either. If they sold every Nexus device at a lose then the Nexus program would be as good as dead. Besides, if anyone really thinks that Google or the OEM doesn't make money on the Nexus program is out of their mind. The board of directors would not approve something that is purposely not suppose to make a profit unless its for the great good of society. Hate to say it, but a Nexus isn't for the great good of all society :P. Android society yes, total society no.

Maybe that's the accountant in me talking but I have been around enough CEOs, CFOs and Boards to know that no matter what type of company, big or small, will produce a device that they willingly will take a hit on profits. My guess is the Nexus is either sold at cost or slightly above cost.

This is why I believe the Moto X won't be the next Nexus. If it is sold at cost, it won't be price competitive. It costs more to make it in the US. Employee wages, union dues, taxes and overhead are significantly more than if you were to get a phone from overseas. They would have to recoup that cost somewhere.... and usually that goes to the consumer.

Most of Google's profit gain from these products isn't from the hardware anyway, it's from the users gained. More people on Android = more people using Google services, more ads, etc. THAT is where Google recoups a vast majority of their profits from Android. I don't think Google is selling Nexus devices for a loss, but I'd be willing to bet that they're selling them at-cost.

At cost fine but being the accountant I am something tells me that they are getting a small profit out of it.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #53

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 17 '13 @ 7:25 AM

Oppo to make the next Nexus.  WHOS WITH ME!

I might be with you. Who is Oppo? lol.

creccaj #54

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 7:33 AM

Oppo Find 5:

Find-5-1.jpg

tacsig513.png

C Sab #55

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 7:41 AM

I've seen a few of their devices. They're not terrible, but I wouldn't pick one of them over a Samsung, HTC, or Sony device.

Cory Streater #56

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 9:57 AM

Oppo Find 5:

Find-5-1.jpg

Beautiful, but 1.5GHz and Android 4.1? No thanks!
  • Chris Kerrigan likes this

creccaj #57

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 11:29 AM

The body of it lol not the actual phone

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

C Sab #58

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 2:23 PM

lol 4.1 is so last year. :P 4.3 bitches!

Treknologist #59

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 5:24 PM

You got that right!  :lol:

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

C Sab #60

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 6:09 PM

You got that right!  :lol:

And soon I'll be saying the same thing about 4.3. ;)

Updated by C Sab, Aug 18 '13 @ 6:09 PM.

Reply to this topic