Photo

Just got a MBP (2009) ... Will I be okay?

Started by N3xs ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

N3xs #1

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 9:13 AM

The title of this post may very well sound ignorant and if it does well it's because it is ...

I have never owned a Mac in my life but I just inherited my GF's old MBP because she was given a brand new one for her job..

Her 2009 MBP has three things my Samsung QX411 does not have: Bluetooth, a backlit keyboard, and a decent touchpad.

The only things I use on my laptop are the Chrome browser, XBMC, and uTorrent...

Is there anything I should be aware of when it comes to major differences in between using a Mac and using a Windows PC for the things that I have mentioned above? 

I know an android forum is an awkward place to post this but then again I saw another post about traditional wet shaving and thought it'd be alright after all lol ... plus I know some of you own a Mac and I know all of you own android devices so what better place than this actually :P 

Thanks 

dmmarck #2

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 10:02 AM

Get Android File Transfer immediately!

• N3xs likes this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

N3xs #3

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 10:30 AM

I had no idea that I needed a separate program for the Mac to recognize android devices when plugged in... off to a good start :P  

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 10:44 AM

I had no idea that I needed a separate program for the Mac to recognize android devices when plugged in... off to a good start :P  

You do, BUT...no need for drivers and that nonsense.  So there's that!

• N3xs likes this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

creccaj #5

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 10:58 AM

Nothing wrong with a MBP, as long as it didn't come with an iPhone you should be fine :P

• N3xs likes this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

C Sab #6

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 11:48 AM

Nothing wrong with a MBP, as long as it didn't come with an iPhone you should be fine :P

Agreed. Or even worse, an iPod Touch. Seriously, does anyone even care about those things anymore? lol

Updated by xlDeMoNiClx, Aug 12 '13 @ 11:48 AM.

• N3xs likes this

creccaj #7

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 12:36 PM

Agreed. Or even worse, an iPod Touch. Seriously, does anyone even care about those things anymore? lol

Yes.  I use it in my car for MP3 audio.  About the only reason I still have one.  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

C Sab #8

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 1:59 PM

Yes.  I use it in my car for MP3 audio.  About the only reason I still have one.  

The novelty wore off for me less than a year after I got the 2nd gen.

Cory Streater #9

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 3:27 PM

Is it a 13"? If so, it's the same one I have. I've never gotten used to it, and I find it frustrating that so many basic features and apps in Windows aren't available on a Mac unless you pay additional money for them.

Anyway, here are a few of the apps you might like:

Moom allows you to snap windows like you can in Windows: Moom

Coconut Battery allows you to see how much longer before your battery craps out: Coconut Battery

Total Finder enables tabbed Finder windows: Total Finder

OnyX is a maintenance utility app that cleans things up, fixes problems, and can speed up when everything starts to lag (and it will): OnyX

Be aware of the MagSafe Power Adapter. It's an absolute heap of junk, and there are no alternatives. The wire at the ends frays really easy, and they are $90 a pop: Apple's MagSafe Reviews. I have been through 3 of these now.

• N3xs likes this

C Sab #10

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 3:54 PM

I find it frustrating that so many basic features and apps in Windows aren't available on a Mac unless you pay additional money for them.

Welcome to the world of Apple.

• Cory Streater likes this

Cyber Warrior #11

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 12 '13 @ 8:17 PM

I'll +1 everything Cory recommended. I'm trying to think if you really need anything else for your needs. You're using Chrome so I'm assuming you already have everything tied in with Google, so that area is covered. Any apps you can find in the app store: http://www.apple.com.../app-store.html
There's some Gmail notifier apps that may come in handy, basically works like the default mail client for Mac by putting an icon in your toolbar for quick access, displays unread counts and also plays notification sounds. Search for Gmail notification (sorry no links atm)

XMBC I never heard of but thanks for the recommendation, I'm on their site now reading about it.

u Torrent I've never used.. I use Kickasstorrent with the Vuse downloader. Handbrake if you're looking for dvd decryption/burning (there's guides in the forum here)

Apple File Transfer you may not need depending on your device.. I 'think' it's not necessary for Nexus devices.. at least for my Nexus 10 I know it's not needed.
(edit: correction AFT 'is' needed and only seems to work on my Nexus.. I can't get it to recognize my Galaxy S3)
If you wanna go wireless.. AirDroid works pretty well. https://play.google....m.sand.airdroid

Then YouTube has some good Tips and Tricks for everday use:

• Cory Streater and N3xs like this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

N3xs #12

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Aug 13 '13 @ 12:08 PM

@Cory Streater, It is indeed the 13" MBP from 2009... thanks for all the info, it helps a lot! ;)

@Cyber Warrior, I appreciate all the info and effort, I'll have plenty to dive into when I finally get it this Thursday! ;)

The only thing I need now is to learn how to get around the Mac OS... :P 

Malik Suleman #13

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Jan 5 '16 @ 10:24 AM

yeah its totally fine