so, rebooting = money?? :P

• Christopher Coleman, dmmarck, creccaj and 1 other like this

Christopher Coleman #33

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 9:30 AM

Time to try and sort this out for non-Verizon spyders.

Cory Streater #34

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 9:47 AM

Every time I've ever restored using Titanium, I feel like I spend more time troubleshooting the aftermath than I would have if I'd just gone in and started over.

It doesn't take that long to set up stuff (for me anyway). There are dedicated apps for backing up/restoring call logs, Gmail does its thing, Chrome syncs automatically, and launcher apps typically allow you to backup/restore your settings. What's left?

What's left?

Christopher Coleman #35

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 10:08 AM

Game data was a big deal but now we have framework for cloud saves, so any developer worth a damn will update their games with the new APIs. I have never used backup applications save for one specific app to do my SMS/MMS. It was always a huge hassle restoring app data and caused nothing but problems.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 4

Ahowe125 #36

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 10:38 AM

Every time I've ever restored using Titanium, I feel like I spend more time troubleshooting the aftermath than I would have if I'd just gone in and started over.

It doesn't take that long to set up stuff (for me anyway). There are dedicated apps for backing up/restoring call logs, Gmail does its thing, Chrome syncs automatically, and launcher apps typically allow you to backup/restore your settings. What's left?

What's left?

About the only thing I ever backup and restore with Titanium is the Apps and their Data. Some will have issues so after I figure out which ones I'll uninstall and re install with a fresh one. Chris is right, mostly I did it for app settings and game data. I also love the Nova launcher feature that saves your home screens and that has been nice switching between ROM's. I don't normally backup call logs or text messages. I think of it as a fresh start when I move ROM's. 

Updated by Ahowe125, Aug 16 '13 @ 2:09 PM.

• Cory Streater likes this
| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Ahowe125 #37

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Sep 11 '13 @ 10:29 AM

Well my ROM Dev finally updated the Eclipse ROM to v5.1 which is based off AOSP, CM10.2 and 4.3. Its running pretty good on my little old Razr and is super clean with AOSP. I love it!

• Christopher Coleman likes this
| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

dmmarck #38

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Sep 13 '13 @ 12:23 PM

What's left?

I don't even bother. I can care less about app data on my phone because everything syncs. I also don't really need to save logs or old messages.

Plus, I love that fresh and clean full wipe smell.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Gman650 #39

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 3:44 PM

ALWAYS MAKE A NANDROID

OK.. I'm probably going to get stomped on for this but is there a guide somewhere here to make a Nandroid? I tried searching but could not find a title heading with our without [GUIDE] in front. I've seen this term bandied about.. and I believe I've done one before by virtue of the steps given to me within another post.. but to say "this is how you make a Nandroid" I dont think I could say how to do it.

Updated by Gman650, Dec 23 '13 @ 3:46 PM.

Cyber Warrior #40

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 4:11 PM

ALWAYS MAKE A NANDROID

OK.. I'm probably going to get stomped on for this but is there a guide somewhere here to make a Nandroid? I tried searching but could not find a title heading with our without [GUIDE] in front. I've seen this term bandied about.. and I believe I've done one before by virtue of the steps given to me within another post.. but to say "this is how you make a Nandroid" I dont think I could say how to do it.

We're not other forums.. ask as many questions as you'd like.

If using ClockworkMod Recovery.. follow the Backup/Restore section: http://forums.theand...r-cwm-recovery/

I think I remember you saying you were using TWRP though correct?

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cyber Warrior #41

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 4:26 PM

For TWRP... you'll need the app GooManager found in the Play Store.. Open the app and install the custom recovery (if you havent done so yet) by pressing Menu > Install OpenRecoveryScript. Once the Recovery finishes installing... press Menu again  and choose 'Reboot Recovery' which will take you to the recovery for installing ROMs, making Nandroids, etc...

Choose Backup:

TWRP-Recovery-Home-Screen.jpg

Select the partitions you want backed up.. the default setting are fine.

TWRP-Recovery-Backup.jpg

Name your backup with something related to that backup like 'stockrom_backup' or whatever name you like (* optional.. if not renamed, the date will be used)

TWRP-Recovery-Rename-Backup.jpg

That's all.. when finished, back out and go to the Reboot option to restart the device. If you ever have to restore the backup/nandroid... use the Restore option.. navigate to the files location.. and so on.. its pretty straight forward. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #42

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 5:26 PM

I think I remember you saying you were using TWRP though correct?

Yes. I installed TWRP prior to GooManager, so I didnt have to do the OpenRecoveryScript. I think I read somewhere to absolutely NOT do that if I already had one.

But to recap.. a "Nandroid" is just a ROM backup?

Now, I'm thinking of atytempting CM10.2 so I can get a feel for what 4.3 is like as well as getting my feet wet in running another ROM while waiting for a stable CM11 (D2VZW).

Any tips in preparing to go from 4.1.2 to 4.3 (and potentially back if I need to)?

Cyber Warrior #43

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 5:40 PM

Yes a Nandroid lets you take a backup of the current state of your phone.. think of it as a restore point like in Windows.. if something ever goes wrong or you need to go back in time.. you can restore back to a previous point (when the backup was made) which will include the ROM, settings, apps, data and so on.. pretty much everything except your sd card.

I would make a backup of your stock rooted phone, the way it is now, so you have a restore point if you need to ever recover in case of emergency or just feel like returning back to that previous ROM. Flash the new custom ROM (CM10) and try it out.. if you dont like it, you can always jump back using your backup of the stock ROM. You can also make as many backups as you'd like, so you can even backup CM10 once its installed and jump around from ROM to ROM.. just remember that any changes made past the restore point/nandroid will be lost unless you keep making new Nandroids. So its always good to have your stock ROM backed up.. and then any time you are ready to start flashing new ROMs, create a new Nandroid (if you'd like) so you always have the most current changes made to the phone backed up.

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #44

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 5:41 PM

I can't remember what/who started it, but the term "Nandroid Backup" is the original/generic phrase used for backing up the entire system. Whomever authored the first recovery called it that, and it's stuck ever since. So yes, pushing the Backup button + all the corresponding options in TWRP accomplishes the same thing.

But to recap.. a "Nandroid" is just a ROM backup?

Gman650 #45

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 6:03 PM

When Making a Nandroid.. do I back up the recovery partition too? or do I leave that one out of it?

Cory Streater #46

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 6:04 PM

I don't personally.

Gman650 #47

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 6:30 PM

I'm close....

does gapps go first or second in order?

wipe.. wipe.. and if I just created a backup.. do I need to make another from within Goo?

Cyber Warrior #48

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 7:14 PM

ROM first.. Google Apps second. Back to back, no reboot in between.

No you don't need another backup. You can however make a backup of CM10 if you ever decide to try something else. I would wait until the day you are ready to switch, This way all your CM10 settings and data are backed up. If you do the backup now and decide to switch to a new ROM a week from now, any new changes, if any, will not be saved that were made during that time frame. You basically want to make a backup anytime you feel like there's a chance you might want to restore back to that point in time.. For example you want to try a different ROM and decide you don't like it.. restore back.. Or you flash a new ROM, kernel, modification and something screwy goes wrong.. you can get back right to where you left off. Worse case scenario, if you forget to make new backups.. you always have that very first backup of the stock ROM. To be honest, I make one backup of the stock ROM and that's all.. I never backup between switching from custom ROMs. Once I switch, I never go back, and if I do I just flash it from scratch all over again.

tacsig513.png

Gman650 #49

Gman650
  • 31 posts

Posted Dec 23 '13 @ 7:57 PM

CM10.2!!   Android 4.3.1!

Thanks all!

• Cyber Warrior and Ahowe125 like this