Photo

Verizon in Canada

Started by C Sab ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

C Sab #1

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 15 '13 @ 3:06 PM

So, Verizon is supposedly gonna be coming to Canada. Maybe. I heard this morning though that it would be delayed until January.

From what I've heard though it's our government that wants them in Canada. However, I've also heard this is connected with rumors that the smaller networks are gonna be bought out and the big Canadian carriers aren't even fucking allowed to bid for them, only US carriers.

I swear if I could remove our fucking traitorous, America boot-liking, spineless Prime Minister from office I would. What do you guys think?

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 15 '13 @ 7:04 PM

Was just reading about this.. they were looking to buy Wind and Mobilicity but they've decided to wait for Canada's wireless spectrum auction in January to better their chances of competing in the market. If they don't get enough of the spectrum they're looking to acquire.. then they're out of the game.

I can't really say how I feel because I don't live out there.. but when they do get what they want lol, which they will.. I can't see them being outbid by these smaller companies, especially since they've been wanting to make this move for a long time.. Its gonna be a while before they're fully up and running. Supposedly they won't be starting with LTE Advanced, which we're about to get here in the States, but they do have a solid Network and fast speeds. The trade-off is their plans suck and are expensive compared to other carriers.

I guess it comes down to.. Are you happy with your current network?

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Cory Streater #3

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 15 '13 @ 9:34 PM

Verizon was a major shareholder of Telus at one point as well.

I didn't understand their motive for wanting to snag up such small carriers, but this is the Verizon I know:

"Under the current rules, set up by the government about five years ago, Verizon, which would have very little Canadian market share to begin, would be treated as a “new entrant” and given the right to bid on twice as much spectrum as the big three, leaving those companies to fight over a smaller share of available bandwidth."

http://www.huffingto..._n_3756093.html

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 5:44 AM

That's what makes no sense to me Cory.

Also, I'm with Rogers and for the most part I'm pretty happy.

Cory Streater #5

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 9:19 AM

That's what makes no sense to me Cory.

Also, I'm with Rogers and for the most part I'm pretty happy.

I read that as your carriers are being screwed by your government.

I'm guessing Verizon backed out because all the drama isn't making it worth their time.

If any of your big three came here to the US and got a two for one deal on Spectrum because they entered the market by acquiring US Cellular, I'd be upset to.

On the other hand, it would be kind of nice to have some crossover/compatibility of LTE frequency across the two countries. Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither of us currently have access to LTE when we roam across the borders.

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 9:32 AM

BTW, I wonder if this will have any negative impact on the roaming agreements Telus and Verizon have in place now that they've pissed off Telus? I roam on Telus in Western Canada and Sasktel in the Saskatchewan province. The current Telus agreement with Verizon is much better than the Rogers agreement with AT&T. The data rates are .002/KB and .02/KB respectively. That means every $10 of Telus roaming would be $100 on Rogers.

C Sab #7

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 16 '13 @ 4:59 PM

As far as I know, we don't have access to LTE across the border but my phone can't even use LTE so I know nothing about this.

C Sab #8

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Sep 4 '13 @ 4:40 PM

UPDATE: It appears Verizon is NOT coming to Canada afterall. Turns out, their interest was exaggerated. Well I'm sure ours was as well, stay the hell out Verizon. ;D

• Cory Streater likes this

Cory Streater #9

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Sep 4 '13 @ 9:22 PM

Your iced tea sucks. I can't blame them for pulling out :P

C Sab #10

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Sep 5 '13 @ 5:45 AM

We didn't want them anyway. :P

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4