Photo

TAC Think Tank

Started by C Sab ,

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

C Sab #1

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 2:49 PM

So, one thing about me everyone should probably know since we seem to be a group of people that tries to be as close as possible is that I have a few..."disabilities". The only one that's relevant right now is that sometimes my mind can wander and while this can be pretty common, in my case the wandering can be more erratic than most.

This however, I mostly find to be a good thing cause when I get dedicated to something I can come up with a good number of ideas revolving around it. During work the subject was this site. For those of you that don't know I am planning to write articles of my own for this site and also begin contributing videos for this site's Youtube Channel (something I feel we need to do to help our prosperity) but now I've come up with other suggestions to help improve this site. Feel free to ask me questions and give comments.

1) Shoutbox: This is a hit-or-miss, some people hate these but I feel like it could be a good way of just chatting with each other about random topics instead of having to make a topic about it, plus they're fast, easy, open, etc.

2) This is my biggest and my most favorite idea. There is one site out there that I follow with great interest and loyalty. They're content has been of stellar quality since I began watching it about 7-8 years ago. One particular thing of theirs I enjoy is their weekly podcasts. It became a goal of mine to start my own with a group of friends but I could never get a group together...until just now when the thought occurred to me: TheAndroidChannelHangoutsOnAir. Every week or so, we'd all get together and discuss tech, and other subjects like a podcast but without having to be in the same room. Plus thanks to the nature of HangoutsOnAir we wouldn't need any special equipment, just us, our computers, our webcams and that's it.

3) User-created Merchandise: So most big sites out there have their own merchandise that fans of the site can buy to represent that site. While this is probably too costly for us due to us being a small site dedicated to a select awesome few we could do it differently. We can create our own ways of representing TAC and then post them on here so others can make our own. Just give a description, a picture for reference, list of needed materials and a simple, but detailed tutorial on how we can make them. Soon everyone we know would hear of this site and maybe they would want to join.

4) More contests: this is self-explanatory since IMO since the first one seemed successful. Except for the fact that I didn't win the Lloyd figurines so now I have to spend a few of my own dollars to get my own. I don't know how you bastards can still with yourselves. :P (Yes, I'm still a little bitter about it. lol)

Anyway, what do you guys think? I'll probably come up with more.

• Lee Bo likes this

Lee Bo #2

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 5:47 PM

I'd love to see, or be part of, a weekly podcast, hangout on air, etc.  

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Cory Streater #3

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 18 '13 @ 7:50 PM

For those of you that don't know I am planning to write articles of my own for this site and also begin contributing videos for this site's Youtube Channel

Looking forward to seeing this!

Shoutbox:

I'll test the one that's available for IPBoard. I'm concerned about its impact on performance, and whether it would reduce overall post count.

TheAndroidChannelHangoutsOnAir.

I loved being on the podcast at AC, and I loved the post podcast hangouts that I used to host afterwards.

I'm hoping to start up the hangouts this coming Thursday. I know @ahowe was interested in participating as well. The are definitely a lot of fun.

User-created Merchandise:

Interesting idea. Lets discuss this further on a hangout. Hit me up via PM.

More contests

We will definitely have more contests. That said, all the giveaways are purchased by yours truly for the time being.

• Ahowe125 likes this

Lee Bo #4

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 4:47 AM

TheAndroidChannelHangoutsOnAir.

I loved being on the podcast at AC, and I loved the post podcast hangouts that I used to host afterwards.

I'm hoping to start up the hangouts this coming Thursday. I know @ahowe was interested in participating as well. The are definitely a lot of fun.

Gezzz, the after podcast hangouts were legendary.  Especially when Cory either (a) started making some form of red seaweed slush mix, and / or (B) Cory decided to make a last minute run to Whole Foods.  :-)

• Cory Streater, dmmarck and Ahowe125 like this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 5:41 AM

I definitely wanna be part of the HangoutsonAir as well and I'll definitely PM you when I have some time (at work at the moment). Glad to see everyone is liking my suggestions so far.
  • Cory Streater and dmmarck like this

Ahowe125 #6

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 6:24 AM

I loved being on the podcast at AC, and I loved the post podcast hangouts that I used to host afterwards.   I'm hoping to start up the hangouts this coming Thursday. I know @ahowe was interested in participating as well. The are definitely a lot of fun.

I use to have fun in the hangouts we had after the AC Podcast, so I would like to check them out again. I can't commit a specific time each week as my schedule is very hectic with a 5 month old, lol. But you guys start them, and I'll do my best to come. :-)

On the OP @C Sab, Nice Ideas! I have really grown to like this forum a lot and would like to see it grow. We all just have to make sure to invite our friends and other Android personalities we have come to know. 

• Cory Streater likes this
| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 6:51 AM

Just to warn everyone, I'm 100% saltier on a podcast.  Just sayin' :P

• Cory Streater and Ahowe125 like this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #8

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 8:14 AM

Bring it. :P

@Ahowe125:I was thinking just keeping it to us from TAC but maybe we could have special guests once in a while

dmmarck #9

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 9:25 AM

@Ahowe125:I was thinking just keeping it to us from TAC but maybe we could have special guests once in a while

I'll bring my pet turkey and we'll go over the finer points of Samsung UI design. ;)

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #10

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 10:42 AM

I loved being on the podcast at AC, and I loved the post podcast hangouts that I used to host afterwards.   I'm hoping to start up the hangouts this coming Thursday. I know @ahowe was interested in participating as well. The are definitely a lot of fun.

I use to have fun in the hangouts we had after the AC Podcast, so I would like to check them out again. I can't commit a specific time each week as my schedule is very hectic with a 5 month old, lol. But you guys start them, and I'll do my best to come. :-)

On the OP @C Sab, Nice Ideas! I have really grown to like this forum a lot and would like to see it grow. We all just have to make sure to invite our friends and other Android personalities we have come to know. 

Is your last post there talking about your idea for an official "hangout/podcast"? And were you talking about only wanting the Official TAC Staff doing it or just any of our TAC Members?

I had interest in more of a casual hangout now and then, not necessarily a published Podcast/Hangout.. lol

Also In my post I was just talking about inviting our friends and such to join the forums to get membership numbers up, not about random people joining the hangouts. :-)

Just wanted to make sure we were both on the same pages. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |

C Sab #11

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 11:50 AM

I'll bring my pet turkey and we'll go over the finer points of Samsung UI design. ;)

You go ahead, I'll be focused on more important matters of discussion. ;)

Is your last post there talking about your idea for an official "hangout/podcast"? And were you talking about only wanting the Official TAC Staff doing it or just any of our TAC Members? I had interest in more of a casual hangout now and then, not necessarily a published Podcast/Hangout.. lol Also In my post I was just talking about inviting our friends and such to join the forums to get membership numbers up, not about random people joining the hangouts. :-) Just wanted to make sure we were both on the same pages.
What I meant was any member of TAC, and I think it would be more fun if they were published, might help us get some new traffic.

And ok, I get what you mean. Yes, new members for sure. :P

Ahowe125 #12

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 12:45 PM

What I meant was any member of TAC, and I think it would be more fun if they were published, might help us get some new traffic.   And ok, I get what you mean. Yes, new members for sure.

Cool, Thanks for the explanation. 

I think having the hangouts on the site and Youtube will help increase traffic. It would be a fun way to get the forum out there and more traffic. It would be fun either way, I'll make sure to try and be around when you guys decide to do one. 

Make sure you let us know when you publish those videos your working on. 

C Sab #13

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 1:29 PM

What I meant was any member of TAC, and I think it would be more fun if they were published, might help us get some new traffic.   And ok, I get what you mean. Yes, new members for sure.

Cool, Thanks for the explanation. 

I think having the hangouts on the site and Youtube will help increase traffic. It would be a fun way to get the forum out there and more traffic. It would be fun either way, I'll make sure to try and be around when you guys decide to do one. 

Make sure you let us know when you publish those videos your working on. 

Well, I'll be having them uploaded under this site's channel so if you subscribe to it, you'll know. But I'll probably say something here too.

• Ahowe125 likes this

Chris Kerrigan #14

Chris Kerrigan
  • Inconspicuously Inconspicuous
  • 34 posts
  • Device: Droid RAZR HD MAXX

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:42 AM

Cory Streater this might seem trivial, but maybe we should be distinguishing staff members (Admins, Mods, etc) from regular members once the site grows? Might be useful for newer members to know who's who just by glancing at the left of a post. 

Updated by Chris Kerrigan, Aug 20 '13 @ 6:58 AM.

Motorola Droid > Motorola Droid X > Samsung Fascinate > Samsung Galaxy S III > Motorola Droid RAZR HD MAXX

Ahowe125 #15

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:57 AM

Cory Streater this might seem trivial, but maybe we should be distinguishing staff members (Admins, Mods, etc) from regular members once the sight grows? Might be useful for newer members to know who's who just by glancing at the left of a post.

I was actually trying to figure that out the other day because I had no idea, other then your introduction thread who was staff and who wasn't. Its nice sometimes to know that kinda thing... :-P

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Eclipse v2.2 using Tapatalk 4

• dmmarck and Chris Kerrigan like this

C Sab #16

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 8:15 AM

Yeah I thought it was a bit odd that there were no titles distinguishing between staff and members. Unless you check the link near the bottom of the forum.

dmmarck #17

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 8:18 AM

Yeah I thought it was a bit odd that there were no titles distinguishing between staff and members. Unless you check the link near the bottom of the forum.

Initially we had them under our user names, but then the dreaded scourge of customizable user titles took hold.

Sent from my M7 running CM10.2

• Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

Christopher Coleman #18

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 8:35 AM

We really appreciate you being so enthusiastic about creating content for the site. Hold off on publishing anything or discussing it throughout the forums for now though, we are working on the best course of action for working with user created content as anything we do now will set a precedent for the future and we have to make sure we are doing it the right way. Any further discussion will be done via private message. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  • Ahowe125 likes this

Cory Streater #19

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 9:38 AM

Thanks, Chris.

this might seem trivial, but maybe we should be distinguishing staff members (Admins, Mods, etc) from regular members once the site grows?

Great point. We've discussed that and will probably do something that at least identifies us as staff members. Thus far, we've had no reason to give an infraction, nor have we even created any rules. Its gone surprisingly well, and refreshingly wonderful. I've left it up to the guys on whether or not they want to identify themselves as mods or staff members. I personally chose not to give myself any special designation.

//

The Android Channel, as most of you know, was founded by myself as a gift to all the volunteers I've worked with in the past. Four of them in particular have been a part of this site from the very beginning. They have all put a ton of work into this site — tutorials, write-ups, site design, ideas, and most importantly the passion and enthusiasm that I respect so deeply. I don't think most site owners could name four of their volunteers if you asked them. I know each and every one of the guys because we all have a long history of trust with one another and I have a deep level of admiration for their selfless commitment to the community. It's important to me that they continue to feel they are recognized for that.

That said, there is constant collaboration behind the scenes about improvements we can make — one of which is recruitment of others who share the same level of enthusiasm as we do. Like Chris said, PLEASE PM us if you would like to be a part of this. Better yet, I am a huge fan of hangouts, whether it be individually or in a group setting.

By the way, the four that I mention above are Cyber Warrior, Chris, dmmarck, and creccaj.