Photo

Galaxy S3 Stock Messaging App not removing threads

Started by cmersman ,

Best Answer Cyber Warrior , Aug 20 '13 @ 6:16 AM

Handcent, GoSMS and Chomp are probably the most popular. It's been a while since I've used a 3rd party sms app but when I did I used Handcent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Go to the full post

• Sign In To Reply:  

cmersman #1

cmersman
  • 34 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 (CM 10.2)

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 12:31 PM

So I've posted this on other forums a few months back and still have had no luck with a fix. 

I have a Galaxy S3, on stock software. In the messaging app if I long hold and hit delete thread all it does is remove all the messages in the thread and send the empty message topic to the bottom of my app. I'm a bit OCD, and having like 100 empty threads at the bottom of my app is killing me, especially when most of them are wrong numbers or things of that nature. 

Screen shot attached

Attached Files

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 1:06 PM

Strange, that shouldn't happen.

Few things you can try.. Go to Settings.. Manage Apps.. All.. Messaging.. and delete the app data. This will not delete your messages but resets the app. Then go back and try deleting a message thread.

Another thing.. try deleting all the threads at once and see what happens. Within the messaging app.. Menu.. Delete all threads.

You can back up all your sms/mms messages first with an app like My Backup if you don't want to lose everything... then restore the messages after doing the above tests. https://play.google.... backup android

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 19 '13 @ 1:30 PM

I have that problem on my 3VO's stock messaging app.

cmersman #4

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 4:52 AM

Few things you can try.. Go to Settings.. Manage Apps.. All.. Messaging.. and delete the app data. This will not delete your messages but resets the app. Then go back and try deleting a message thread. Another thing.. try deleting all the threads at once and see what happens. Within the messaging app.. Menu.. Delete all threads.

Both of these worked to remove the additional threads, however, after doing so the same problem is still happening. But at least this gives me a clean start - better than nothing!

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 5:46 AM

Hmm that's so weird. It's not something I often throw out there but this sounds like one of those rare incidences where a factory reset would be needed to fix this. Well at least you have a temp solution for the time being.

tacsig513.png

cmersman #6

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:12 AM

Thinking about trying a 3rd party messaging app. I tried one previously but can't remember the name -- couldn't stand it though

Cyber Warrior #7

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:16 AM   Best Answer

Handcent, GoSMS and Chomp are probably the most popular. It's been a while since I've used a 3rd party sms app but when I did I used Handcent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Chris Kerrigan #8

Chris Kerrigan
  • Inconspicuously Inconspicuous
  • 34 posts
  • Device: Droid RAZR HD MAXX

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 6:31 AM

Thinking about trying a 3rd party messaging app. I tried one previously but can't remember the name -- couldn't stand it though

GoSMS has always been my favorite, although I haven't used it in a while. I've heard a few grumblings that the Go Team has started sending texts at random to GoSMS users trying to get them to download a new app/theme once in a while. If that's true, that's a big time no-go for me. 

Motorola Droid > Motorola Droid X > Samsung Fascinate > Samsung Galaxy S III > Motorola Droid RAZR HD MAXX

cmersman #9

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 7:36 AM

I'll give GoSMS a shot 

C Sab #10

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 8:12 AM

GoSMS has always been my favorite, although I haven't used it in a while. I've heard a few grumblings that the Go Team has started sending texts at random to GoSMS users trying to get them to download a new app/theme once in a while. If that's true, that's a big time no-go for me.
I can confirm this to be true. It's sad.

cmersman #11

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Aug 20 '13 @ 8:30 AM

Handcent, GoSMS and Chomp are probably the most popular.

Decided to go with handcent as it looked the most appealing to me. So far I don't mind it... and don't have the same issue I did on the stock app. I think this one is solved -- for now at least!

• Cyber Warrior and Ahowe125 like this