Started by N3xs ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

N3xs #1

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 8:05 AM

I know I will not be getting a Moto X simply because of bad timing and a bad camera ...

However, I really like what I have heard and seen so far and I couldn't help but to play with Motomaker:

https://www.motorola...erior/backplate

I realized after about 10 minutes of indecision that I am more boring than I thought I would be... after all you're not choosing what case and what color will suit you for the day or week but rather what you will have to look at for as long as you make it your daily driver ...

So far, I love the idea but I was only able to come down to 4 favorite combinations (confession: if I had the currency to spare I would definitely get 4 of them):

woven black - metallic accents
cement - yellow accents
navy - metallic accents
chalk - orange accents

IMG_20130823_115716.jpgIMG_20130823_115756.jpgIMG_20130823_115821.jpgIMG_20130823_115836.jpg

sort of boring I know, but any of those 4 would be completely aesthetically pleasing to me.

What's your combo?

• lpt2569 likes this

N3xs #2

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 8:19 AM

I must add, the black front is almost like a requisite for me unfortunately... I got so used to how it blends in with the screen on my Gnex...

BUT, I do really like how the white front looks with a lime green back and metallic accents... funny how with a white front I would be able to choose one combination over all the others ...

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 8:55 AM

I'd just go for the woven black back, black front and metallic blue accents. Looking forward to seeing more options in the future. The selection now is fairly underwhelming.
  • N3xs likes this

lpt2569 #4

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 12:32 PM

Woven White Back, White Front, Orange Accents...

moto_x_2.png

Woven Black Back, White Front, Blue Accents...

moto_x_1.png

Updated by lpt2569, Aug 23 '13 @ 1:23 PM.

• Cory Streater, Cyber Warrior and N3xs like this

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 1:10 PM

It won't let me design mine.

N3xs #6

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 4:36 PM

It won't let me design mine.

are you getting an error?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Christopher Coleman #7

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 4:54 PM

I wonder if he is saying that because his carrier isn't listed? I had to pick AT&T as it's the only version for sale at the moment. You don't have to buy or sign in to just have some fun with it. Also worked on my N7 which is nice.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 4

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 5:23 PM

Did it from my phone.. no questions asked.

1stcomposited-image-00000.png

ORcomposited-image-00000 (3).png

2ndcomposited-image-00000 (1).png

3rdcomposited-image-00000 (2).png

Its probably best that I don't get this phone because I'd most likely keep changing my mind and be pissed :D

• N3xs likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #9

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 5:40 PM

I didn't see anything. No error came up, and I couldn't find a place to choose my carrier.

Cyber Warrior #10

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 6:02 PM

I didn't see anything. No error came up, and I couldn't find a place to choose my carrier.

Click on the link: Moto Maker

and choose Play with Moto Maker

motomaker.jpg

Its that easy... if thats not working... then, don't know what to tell you.

• N3xs likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #11

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 6:16 PM

It worked on my Nexus 10 but not my laptop. :S

Cory Streater #12

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 23 '13 @ 7:54 PM

Woven Black Back, White Front, Blue Accents...

I don't particularly care for the two-tone look. Then again, I've always been a little boring and conservative. 

moto_x_black_front.png

moto_x_black.png

That said, If I did have to go with one I would probably pic @lpt2569's choice.

• lpt2569 and N3xs like this

BobbyKing #13

BobbyKing
  • 20 posts
  • Device: Moto X/Nexus 4/Nexus 7

Posted Aug 29 '13 @ 7:13 PM

Here is mine, I love the phone so far!

Attached Images

• DSC_0206.JPG

• Cory Streater, Cyber Warrior, 7stringer and 2 others like this

Cory Streater #14

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 29 '13 @ 7:19 PM

Has anyone stopped and asked you about your phone yet?

BobbyKing #15

BobbyKing
  • 20 posts

Posted Aug 29 '13 @ 7:25 PM

Has anyone stopped and asked you about your phone yet?

Yes! I've told a lot of people all about the new customization tools and I think everyone really like the idea.  Obviously the general public has not heard of the Moto X quite yet!

Cory Streater #16

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 29 '13 @ 7:53 PM

That's awesome. Nobody ever asks what phone I have haha. Not to digress, bit what the hell... Is all that contextual awareness stuff working out well?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

BobbyKing #17

BobbyKing
  • 20 posts

Posted Aug 29 '13 @ 8:28 PM

I'm using it more than I thought I would!
  • Cory Streater likes this

7stringer #18

7stringer
  • 161 posts
  • Device: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted Aug 30 '13 @ 6:40 AM

I see ads for the Moto X all over the subways in NYC

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I have the Rickets! 

N3xs #19

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Aug 30 '13 @ 1:36 PM

Nobody ever asks what phone I have haha
no one ever asks you about your Nexus 5 ?? ... I would :P  

Jerrod #20

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Aug 30 '13 @ 2:00 PM

I really would like to have one that had a copper back.  But then again I might tend to get struck by lightning while walking around with copper in a thunderstorm.

I like bobbyKings color! would also like that dark navy blue or that dark RED.  Yes red that way folks will know I am a serious, sensual, and intense.  

Too bad we can't interchange the backs.....I could use different ones depending on how I felt.....

BobbyKing #21

BobbyKing
  • 20 posts

Posted Aug 30 '13 @ 2:09 PM

I really would like to have one that had a copper back. But then again I might tend to get struck by lightning while walking around with copper in a thunderstorm.

I like bobbyKings color! would also like that dark navy blue or that dark RED. Yes red that way folks will know I am a serious, sensual, and intense.

Too bad we can't interchange the backs.....I could use different ones depending on how I felt.....

Thanks and I agree! I would love to have a red back as well.

Cory Streater #22

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 30 '13 @ 9:29 PM

I really would like to have one that had a copper back.  But then again I might tend to get struck by lightning while walking around with copper in a thunderstorm.

I like bobbyKings color! would also like that dark navy blue or that dark RED.  Yes red that way folks will know I am a serious, sensual, and intense.  

Lol! I was at the at&t store today. The darker blue is definitely at the top of the list. The screen feels small though.

Jerrod #23

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Aug 31 '13 @ 10:35 AM

When I was at Staples I held my GN up to the MOTO X.  The phone is smaller than the GN, but the screen is not exactly.  It seems like the GN screen is wider but the Moto X screen is taller. The phone is smaller and I think this is making the screen feel smaller, although I didn't get a chance to use a working phone....this is my next goal.

I wonder if the color will eventually  fade off of the accent areas....like the keys?

Cory Streater #24

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Sep 1 '13 @ 12:31 PM

When I was at Staples I held my GN up to the MOTO X.  The phone is smaller than the GN, but the screen is not exactly.  It seems like the GN screen is wider but the Moto X screen is taller. The phone is smaller and I think this is making the screen feel smaller, although I didn't get a chance to use a working phone....this is my next goal.

I wonder if the color will eventually  fade off of the accent areas....like the keys?

So are you on the fence about buying it or not?

I typed this entire post from the Moto X, and even though the screen is the same size as the GN, it seemed more difficult to type on. I think it's overall form factor looks great, and feels great for phone calls, but it also plays against it when it comes to typing. That said, it's probably just something I'd need to get used to. There was a  day when I said anything bigger than the Incredbile was ridiculous. Now I'm packing a 5" phone lol.

Jerrod #25

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 1 '13 @ 6:12 PM

It would be great if I could hold and use one and then I would have a better idea how it is to use it.  Maybe I find an AT&T store and try out a working model

On the fence but it is a small one because here's the thing.  I am not sure I want a phone any bigger than my GNEX.  I know there are better screens(  I wonder if the critical reviews of the phone would be less if it had an IPS iphone  like screen or LCD) but I just don't want a big phone.  I don't carry a bag or mans purse so the only option is for me to haul a phone in my pockets.  I wear fitted clothes( I don't mean super tight, just body conforming) so it's not like there is a lot of extra room to give up.

The big elephant in the room is that I know about the Nexus line.  I like having my N7 and getting updates 3 days after they are released.  On the other hand I have a Verizon GNEX and get updates 4 months later and I guess now that I am almost 2 years  into my contract I will get NO updates anymore.

If I didn't know there was a possibility of having a new Nexus phone released this fall then I would probably get the Moto x within the next 2 weeks.  Of course after i've had a chance to actually use it I might think differently, but I def know I don't want a phone with Touch wiz or Sense on it.  It's just me cause I know a lot of people like these interfaces and all the additional functionality they may bring. 

So I really like the phone.  So I really want to see the next Nexus phone before I decide what to do.

nitroX #26

nitroX
  • 33 posts

Posted Sep 4 '13 @ 6:46 PM

It would be great if I could hold and use one and then I would have a better idea how it is to use it.  Maybe I find an AT&T store and try out a working model

On the fence but it is a small one because here's the thing.  I am not sure I want a phone any bigger than my GNEX.  I know there are better screens(  I wonder if the critical reviews of the phone would be less if it had an IPS iphone  like screen or LCD) but I just don't want a big phone.  I don't carry a bag or mans purse so the only option is for me to haul a phone in my pockets.  I wear fitted clothes( I don't mean super tight, just body conforming) so it's not like there is a lot of extra room to give up.

The big elephant in the room is that I know about the Nexus line.  I like having my N7 and getting updates 3 days after they are released.  On the other hand I have a Verizon GNEX and get updates 4 months later and I guess now that I am almost 2 years  into my contract I will get NO updates anymore.

If I didn't know there was a possibility of having a new Nexus phone released this fall then I would probably get the Moto x within the next 2 weeks.  Of course after i've had a chance to actually use it I might think differently, but I def know I don't want a phone with Touch wiz or Sense on it.  It's just me cause I know a lot of people like these interfaces and all the additional functionality they may bring. 

So I really like the phone.  So I really want to see the next Nexus phone before I decide what to do.

Looks like you might be getting a MotoX if that image of the guy with the huge Nexus is true ;)

nitroX #27

nitroX
  • 33 posts

Posted Sep 4 '13 @ 6:51 PM

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 10.51.03 PM.png

• 7stringer and Jerrod like this

Cory Streater #28

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Sep 4 '13 @ 9:38 PM

Spoken like a true phone enthusiast, thinking through all possible scenarios and considerations haha

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 10.51.03 PM.png

I haven't been an advocate for colors, but that combo is hot as hell.

Jerrod #29

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 8:41 PM

Went to an AT&T store this weekend.  Moto x was there in a display area.  They had all of the various back colors to see.  There is a color sort of like green, kinda like grey, can't really describe it, but this would make a perfect phone color  for business use because it would not be black, it would be different, but it wouldn't stand out like I was attending  a business meeting wearing a candy cane dress or something.

There were other phones on display but the Motox was the largest.  Only thing that didn't work out was that I could not hold the phone in my hand.  It was tied down to the display. As I fingered it I thought "Oh gawd, just lock the front door, have the security guard stand there so he can punch me in the face if I try to escape with this phone, and then disconnect this phone so I can hold it". 

The other thing I noticed is that, even though I am talking about not having large phones...this phone seems really small..The screen size is there, but why does everything seem so small?.....An example of a consumer saying he wants small then seeing it and is thinking that it can't be the screen size they say it is...Never satisfied. Then again the N4 is smaller than the Gnex and I was blown away when I held that-and had  the same reaction.  I guess it shows that there can be a reduction in frame size without compromising the screen...but it takes getting used to.

Actually the sales rep tried to disconnect the phone but couldn't.  Speaking of the rep....bending over backwards to help me...Unlike verizon.  I mentioned that I might be interested in getting a Nexux....he told me the procedure he thinks I can use...gave me his card and told me to come back when I am ready for the Nexus from GPlay store if that's what I want to do.

Meanwhile...the Verizon store across the street......out to lunch the last time I was in there..couldn't believe the difference.

Choice....it's sometimes SO hard. 

Jerrod #30

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Sep 10 '13 @ 11:32 AM

Went to the doctors today. I took the subway because the office is on the other side of town.  One stop after I got on this girl walks in carrying and using a Moto X.  It was in the Dark Red color with white accents, she sat down and was surfing the web.  After two more stops this guy steps on with a dark blue Moto X.  Couldn't actually see what he was doing because he was at the other end of the car, but his head was down and he was swiping a lot.

We have AT&T wifi in the subway system  and I had Verizon 4G in there but I suspect these were AT&T phones.  Good to see the phone in the wild.  If I had the nerve I would have run over there and asked to touch them....but there are enough crazies under the ground, so I didn't want to come off as a new kind of nut.

So at least I know dark red and and dark blue are being sold.

• wyndslash likes this