Started by Cory Streater ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 10:58 AM

Neither of us have high hopes. Let's see what happens.

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 11:00 AM

Screen looks fantastic. No pink tint. Could be whiter though.

Screen is a little too small.

I wish I could remove this damn bracket so I could feel it in my hands.

4G is wicked fast, but then again, I'm standing smack middle of the store.

Two bloatware apps. Voicemail and My ATT. I could live with that.

No pre configured Play Store account. Won't be downloading any benchmarking apps. Boo :/

Cool stuff: read text messages to me while driving. Use the accelerometer to determine that.

Silenceo while I'm sleeping, unless somebody important calls or texts.

Motocare app: built in user manual, with both chat and a call button if I want immediate assistance. Cool.

Moto Connect: "Get notifications on your computer screen too."

UI Looks like a Nexus overall.

There isn't a custom color in this store I like. The white phone looks dirty to me. I would definitely get black.

Eh I'm bored already. I think I'll just download apps that can do this.

creccaj #3

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 11:03 AM

Might be buying Moto X

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

creccaj #4

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 11:07 AM

ATT store didn't have any in stock.

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Cory Streater #5

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 11:26 AM

"Sir, would you mind if I took a look at this phone? Yes ma'am. Sorry ma'am."

Jon, I think you would have been acting too impulsively if you'd bought it. I feel $700 richer at the moment.

Might be buying Moto XSent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

What did you think about performance? I didn't detect any lag at all. YouTube performed fine.

creccaj #6

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 11:37 AM

No lag at all

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #7

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 11:50 AM

I feel $700 richer at the moment.

Where you just looking at getting a Black phone? I have been reading all day about people trying to purchase the Moto Maker card and they won't let you do it unless you sign a new 2 year contract. What kinda crap is that? 

If they had them in stock were they willing to let you purchase them off contract?

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Cory Streater #8

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 12:43 PM

I didn't really have a conversation with a sales associate, so I'm not sure what their policy is. 

I went to a corporate store in downtown Seattle. They had one Moto X on display. The display encompassed the entire table — the Moto X on the left, and to its right a panel of swatches. The display unit itself was white with the woven white backing.

When I looked at this page, with its Instagram like photo effects, I immediately wanted one. I'm a sucker for a well photographed phone. I've watched their videos and I've seen the phoned demoed a few times — it was enough to get me to walk run to the AT&T store.

However, when I got to the store and saw it in person, it was sort of a let down. Customizing a phone online is sort of like buying clothes on line. Fit and finish on a monitor appears much different than it does in person. I'm now more certain than ever, I would not buy a customized phone without seeing it first.

Next, I turn it on and I see something that resembles a stock Nexus interface. Awesome. 

However, Motorola markets the Moto X this way:

"We think your phone should actually fit your hand, not the other way around. So we went ahead and made one that does just that.... Moto X responds to your voice, no touching necessary. And you can ask it just about anything."

Not happening on a display phone, and actually feeling it in your hands is impossible, because the security mount on the back of the phone is so obtrusive, you would never have an opportunity to experience this for yourself.

"Introducing a better way to get your notifications. It's everything you want to know, when you want to know it. Delivered discretely to your screen. So you don't have to be that person always checking your phone."

Show me!!!

"Never miss a shot"

The camera was so bad I would have never taken one.

I guess my point is that this phone is a really tough one to sell. Twice, an AT&T store rep said, "That's a cool phone, isn't it?" It's going to take more than that to sell me a phone that looks like nothing more than a Nexus when I turn it on.

Sell it like she does. Makes me want to make a smoothie immediately.

lpt2569 #9

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 2:57 PM

I stopped in an AT&T store today as well, and my impressions were, for the most part, exactly the same as Cory's.  Looked and behaved much like my GNex did, certainly does not seem like a "carrier" phone.  However, compared to my GNote 2, it is definitely a small phone.  I could never use something that small, because at some point I'll have to look at text and videos and I would scream "This is too damn small!!!"  Did I say it was small?  Didn't help they also had it next to the new Samsung Galaxy Mega and the LG Optimus G Pro next to the Samsung.  Like Cory said, I'll wait to get these features on a different, bigger device in the next few months, like the GNote 3 or LG G2.  It will be very interesting to see how this thing sells.

• Cory Streater likes this

Cory Streater #10

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 3:13 PM

It's amazing how small it feels after our honking big phones LOL

• lpt2569 and wyndslash like this

Lee Bo #11

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Aug 26 '13 @ 10:12 AM

Sorry boys and girls, but it's going to be very difficult to get me away from the Note II.

Well, maybe when the Note III comes out.  :-)

• Cory Streater, Christopher Coleman, lpt2569 and 1 other like this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Jerrod #12

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Aug 26 '13 @ 12:17 PM

I didn't really have a conversation with a sales associate, so I'm not sure what their policy is. 

I went to a corporate store in downtown Seattle. They had one Moto X on display. The display encompassed the entire table — the Moto X on the left, and to its right a panel of swatches. The display unit itself was white with the woven white backing.

When I looked at this page, with its Instagram like photo effects, I immediately wanted one. I'm a sucker for a well photographed phone. I've watched their videos and I've seen the phoned demoed a few times — it was enough to get me to walk run to the AT&T store.

However, when I got to the store and saw it in person, it was sort of a let down. Customizing a phone online is sort of like buying clothes on line. Fit and finish on a monitor appears much different than it does in person. I'm now more certain than ever, I would not buy a customized phone without seeing it first.

Next, I turn it on and I see something that resembles a stock Nexus interface. Awesome. 

However, Motorola markets the Moto X this way:

"We think your phone should actually fit your hand, not the other way around. So we went ahead and made one that does just that.... Moto X responds to your voice, no touching necessary. And you can ask it just about anything."

Not happening on a display phone, and actually feeling it in your hands is impossible, because the security mount on the back of the phone is so obtrusive, you would never have an opportunity to experience this for yourself.

"Introducing a better way to get your notifications. It's everything you want to know, when you want to know it. Delivered discretely to your screen. So you don't have to be that person always checking your phone."

Show me!!!

"Never miss a shot"

The camera was so bad I would have never taken one.

I guess my point is that this phone is a really tough one to sell. Twice, an AT&T store rep said, "That's a cool phone, isn't it?" It's going to take more than that to sell me a phone that looks like nothing more than a Nexus when I turn it on.

That would be hard to do and the commercial might get banned. Unless it was on the awards show last night with MS doing her thing or was that his.

Let's see:

Ok here's how I like to use it but first( as I bend way over..) Look at my phones.

Umm - oh - Yummm, this is how I like to use it.

Nothing sucking to the bottom here, so no mess

Oh it's smooth and creamy---dammn that is good....Hoot

haven't tried chocolate yet but let me go get some

She did say most of this right? And Corey you are ready to make a smoothie.

Ok I am ready to buy some PB2 or whatever that was she was selling ....but maybe not a phone yet. Sales people in  phone stores are often rather dumb.  Most times I know more about the phones than they do and I end up telling them a thing or two.

Seriously I wonder what kind of Advertizing Moto/Goggle has in store?

So is this screen smaller than the GN or is it just smaller than we expected or are used to? wondering since I don't have any trouble reading text on my phone but then I am not reading a text Book either just a small line.

Updated by Jerrod, Aug 26 '13 @ 12:18 PM.

C Sab #13

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Aug 26 '13 @ 1:37 PM

Moto X: Proof you don't need high end specs to perform like a high end phone.

I will definitely not be getting the Moto X but I'm interested in seeing what else Motorola can do after this.

Updated by C Sab, Aug 26 '13 @ 1:37 PM.

Jerrod #14

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Aug 27 '13 @ 11:26 AM

I went to staples today to buy 4x6 printer paper and ink.  They had the AT&T Moto X on display but it was not working or I guess it wasn't a working model.

From the looks of it is IS very small and VERY thin.  I couldn't get over how thin this thing looked.  I held my GN up to it to compare screen sizes.  Seems like almost the same size screen, but just in a smaller phone frame but perhaps the Motox X screen is a bit longer than wider.  The phone was chained down to the counter so it was hard to actually hold the entire phone in your hand.

Very interesting.  This surely would fit in my front pocket even better than my Gn.  The salesperson Zoomed right right over wanting to sell me one right away!  We talked quite a bit about phones and network coverage and this is a guy I would certainly want to buy something from.

Next I went to the Verizon store which is located in the same Mall.  No one there knew anything about the phone.  Next I asked them about FIOS because they have a sign saying that FIOS is coming to our area.  No one there knew anything about it except that they were told to put the sign up.

Wow talk about  being clueless.  These folks never know ANYTHING about.... ANYTHING.

• Cory Streater, 7stringer and Ahowe125 like this

C Sab #15

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 27 '13 @ 11:48 AM

It's amazing that manufacturers don't teach these people anything about their products

Cory Streater #16

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 27 '13 @ 3:32 PM

I forgot to add... there's a feature on the GS3 and GS4 that can detect whether you're looking at the screen or not. As long as you're looking at the screen, the backlight will not shut off regardless of its timeout settings. It will also take into consideration your angle of sight in determining whether to rotate the screen or not.

Both are extremely handy, and neither is part of the Moto X, which is surprising considering its contextual awareness capabilities.

Good one @Jerrod lol

C Sab #17

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 27 '13 @ 5:26 PM

One of the many reasons why I chose the S4.

Cory Streater #18

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Aug 27 '13 @ 10:29 PM

One of the many reasons why I chose the S4.

Chose is past tense. Did you make a purchase I haven't heard about?

C Sab #19

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 2:59 AM

No, when I get it you'll all know. Trust me. ;P

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

Ahowe125 #20

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 3:05 AM

All this talk about new phones makes me want one. That new Droid Maxx is looking more sweet every day. But I think I can resist the urge and see what the Nexus 5 brings. Hopefully a CDMA variant. :-)

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Eclipse v2.2 using Tapatalk 4

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

wyndslash #21

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 4:08 AM

i bet you'll show it off :P

C Sab #22

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 5:35 AM

You thought otherwise?

wyndslash #23

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 6:11 AM

You thought otherwise?

no :P

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck #24

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 6:23 AM

Screen looks fantastic. No pink tint. Could be whiter though.

Screen is a little too small.

I wish I could remove this damn bracket so I could feel it in my hands.

4G is wicked fast, but then again, I'm standing smack middle of the store.

Two bloatware apps. Voicemail and My ATT. I could live with that.

No pre configured Play Store account. Won't be downloading any benchmarking apps. Boo :/

Cool stuff: read text messages to me while driving. Use the accelerometer to determine that.

Silenceo while I'm sleeping, unless somebody important calls or texts.

Motocare app: built in user manual, with both chat and a call button if I want immediate assistance. Cool.

Moto Connect: "Get notifications on your computer screen too."

UI Looks like a Nexus overall.

There isn't a custom color in this store I like. The white phone looks dirty to me. I would definitely get black.

Eh I'm bored already. I think I'll just download apps that can do this.

The one I played with yesterday had faint orangeish pink tint.  Screen wasn't bad but it fell short of what I prefer.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cyber Warrior #25

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 7:07 AM

Mmm.. make me want a boobie smoothie too. PB FTW.

This phone is not for tech enthusiasts.. the average person will walk into the store, see a huge display with the options to customize the look of the phone and probably think it's cool and want one. I can see this phone being a popular trend with kids/teenagers.. "hey! look at the colors of my phone!" 

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Jerrod #26

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 11:03 AM

I forgot to add... there's a feature on the GS3 and GS4 that can detect whether you're looking at the screen or not. As long as you're looking at the screen, the backlight will not shut off regardless of its timeout settings. It will also take into consideration your angle of sight in determining whether to rotate the screen or not.

Both are extremely handy, and neither is part of the Moto X, which is surprising considering its contextual awareness capabilities.

Good one @Jerrod lol

I bet there is a patent for this floating around somewhere.  I certainly would patent it if I were Samsung and if I were MOTO I would patent the hell out of every little thing I did.  This is why I don't expect to see the Moto applications in the play store to be extended to other manufacturers phones.   It's wonderful to be nice like Google, but business is business.

Google on the other hand doesn't do this but this is how they can make use of Moto --- patent the hell out of everything Moto develops = best of both worlds for Google.

Malik Suleman #27

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 16 '15 @ 2:08 PM

att store replied me to wait for that