moto x google apps

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 24 '13 @ 9:01 PM

The Moto X phone was announced and its main selling points were its customization options as well as some cool features such as its on screen notifications, the ability to wake the phone with your voice and activating the camera by a few shakes of the wrist.

Do you love the cool features of the Moto X phone but can't upgrade or just flat out don't like the phone? No need to worry, the Devs have you covered.

In this guide I'll be showing you 3 apps that mimic the main features of Motorola's new Moto X and how to turn almost any phone into one with a few simple steps. Also at the very end is a video for visual references. Enjoy!

1) DynamicNotifications:

DynamicNotifications allows you to receive important notifications when your screen is off. When you miss a call or receive a new email/SMS, the display will discreetly light up to let you know, without needing to unlock the device. Most phones only have a pulsing notification LED that doesn't actually tell you anything about the incoming notification - with DynamicNotifications, you can immediately decide if something is important enough to act.

google-play-small-availablenow.png

2) Open Mic+ for Google Now:

With Open Mic+ for Google Now, access all the commands from anywhere on your phone. Simply say "Okay Google" or wave your hand in front of the screen. Screen on, screen off Google Now will be ready to listen.

3) Twisty Launcher:

With Twisty Launcher opening your favorite apps is easier than ever. All you need to do is hold your phone in your hand and flick to the left twice to open your camera. Twisty Launcher will look for this hand gesture from the background, so you can perform the gesture from inside any app. This makes it super easy to not miss a quick photo opportunity.

youtube.jpg

Complete the look: Download the Moto X wallpapers here

• Cory Streater, Lee Bo and lpt2569 like this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

wyndslash #2

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Aug 25 '13 @ 12:28 AM

Thanks for this. I'll try it out :))

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Cory Streater #3

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 25 '13 @ 7:21 AM

This is awesome. Thanks!

Lee Bo #4

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Aug 25 '13 @ 3:18 PM

Seriously sweet apps and review.  I think TAC needs to double your salary.

• Cory Streater likes this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Ahowe125 #5

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Aug 25 '13 @ 3:54 PM

Pretty cool, It's worth noting that it might do a number on your battery. I was reading on Russel Holly's G+ page (a writer for geek.com), that it was killing the battery on his HTC One like crazy. Sounds like it was because of the lack of special processor that the Moto X has to process the voice data with out using the main CPU. 

Here is the picture he posted

Has anyone on this site tried it yet? What were your results? 

Updated by Ahowe125, Aug 25 '13 @ 3:55 PM.

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Cory Streater #6

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Aug 26 '13 @ 5:59 AM

Cyber: have you left those apps on your phone? I'm kind of interested in battery life as well.

The processor theory that Aaron mentions makes a lot of sense. They didn't architect that processor for any other purpose than to offload the more battery intensive contextual awareness fictionally unique to the Moto X and the new Droid line.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

Ahowe125 #7

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Aug 26 '13 @ 6:54 PM

Decided to give Dynamic Notifications a try, just got it installed and setup. I ended up getting the premium features because I wanted it to auto-wake when coming out of my pocket and also use a night-mode. Will use it tomorrow to see how I like it and what kinda drain it has on battery life if at all. 

Tried to also get twisty launcher, but apparently its not compatible with my phone. Must not have something it needs inside this old Razr. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Aug 26 '13 @ 8:39 PM

Cyber: have you left those apps on your phone? I'm kind of interested in battery life as well.

The processor theory that Aaron mentions makes a lot of sense. They didn't architect that processor for any other purpose than to offload the more battery intensive contextual awareness fictionally unique to the Moto X and the new Droid line.

Not for long because I really don't need them at the moment.. If for some reason I buy a Moto X, I don't want to ruin all the fun :) 

Like any app the runs in the background AND triggers the screen on.. it's going to affect battery life. How much depends on the user. I think the Moto X definitely has the advantage with the dedicated core for these features but this is fun to try out if you wanna see what the Moto X is like without owning the phone. 

I've always been a fan of the Active Notifications.. I think it's a really cool feature especially for my own daily use/lifestyle. 

The Always Listening feature is pretty neat too. Android has always had great voice to text accuracy so it definitely doesn't feel gimmicky because it actually works. 

The camera gesture.. I can do without. I have no need for something like that. I use a side bar app which gives me access to any app I want at any time from any screen simply by sliding my finger across the screen like a notification bar. 

• Cory Streater likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Ahowe125 #9

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Aug 27 '13 @ 5:29 PM

Here is the finished article about the apps on a non moto X.

http://www.geek.com/...h-apps-1568497/

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Eclipse v2.2 using Tapatalk 4

Treknologist #10

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Aug 28 '13 @ 1:43 PM

Well, I tried Open Mic+ and had to take it off the phone.  While it worked pretty good (it still has its bugs), the apps was just a battery hog. 

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Lee Bo #11

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Aug 29 '13 @ 7:30 AM

While Twisty Launcher is a great app, if you place your phone in a cradle or holder in your car, the vibration while driving was constantly triggering the app into starting the camera.  Had to uninstall it.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Malik Suleman #12

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 28 '15 @ 1:34 AM

i did't get and any solution?