Photo

Galaxy NX Pricing Explained

Started by C Sab ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

C Sab #1

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 1 '13 @ 6:25 PM

tinhte_samsung_galaxy_nx_3.jpg

So, as we all know Samsung has released the pricing and many other details about the Galaxy NX mirrorless camera such as the specs, availability, etc. The pricing however is what has been causing quite a hubbub after it was revealed that the GNX would cost approx. $1600US for just the body alone and approx. $1700US for the body and a standard 18-55mm kit lens which is a common bundle among mirrorless and DSLR cameras. And honestly, I don’t see why this is such an outrageous price.

And now, let me drop some knowledge on you about cameras that my love for photography has allowed me to learn in order to explain why I find the pricing of the GNX to be pretty reasonable. Also, since there’s really no reason that I can think of for anyone to get the body alone I’ll be using the body/kit lens for 1700 dollars in this comparison.

So first let me explain a bit about mirrorless cameras. Basically, they’re like DSLR’s but more compact however it has no viewfinder, uses a different mount so it’s incompatible with DSLR lenses, and uses a different kind of auto-focus. From what I can tell they range in price from $800-$2000. That’s right $2000, which is several hundred dollars more than the GNX costs. Plus, if you look at the DSLR category, some of them go for 4 times the amount the GNX does. Sure, there are plenty of reasons why they’re priced that high but it makes the price of the GNX seem not so high doesn’t it?

Also, let’s not forget the main selling point behind the camera: Android OS. That’s right. And these aren’t specs you can just ignore either. We have a quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM and a 20.3MP sensor. Plus again let’s not forget it has Android. Anyway, if we take into account the high-end specs, that accounts for about 500-600 bucks if we compare to a smartphone that has those same specs, which brings the remaining value to about 900-1000 dollars, which if you remember the price range of mirrorless cameras is almost at the bottom of the price range so this plus the other few points I’ve made already give you the idea that Samsung is giving us a good price for this product.

Or are they?

Well, the only way to know for sure is to know how well the camera itself works which we don’t know yet. As far as I can tell, there aren’t really any previews of images taken with this camera and there probably won’t be until it gets released sometime in October and the reviews start coming in. Personally though, even if the camera has issues when it’s released that’s another benefit of the GNX running on Android with constant sharing capabilities: OTA updates. Just like with phones, any issues with the camera can most likely be fixed with a quick software update which is a huge point in its favor as well as all the other benefits of having Android in your camera.(Thankfully Samsung didn’t decide to put phone capabilities on this thing cause talking on the S4 Zoom in public sounds like another day in reality compared to holding a full-on camera to your face and talking into it. You’d look like someone from Monty Python.)

So, there you have it. Everyone causing such a ruckus over the pricing of the Galaxy NX when if you think about it, you realize it’s perfectly reasonable. As long as the camera itself holds up against other cameras in its class. But that’s a discussion for another day.
  • Cory Streater and Ahowe125 like this

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Sep 1 '13 @ 10:11 PM

Nice write up & excellent points. I'm actually very intrigued by this camera and can't wait to give it a shot.

I'm still green when it comes to a lot of camera terminology, so I've been trying to study up on it. I found this article a while bank, and I think it does a pretty good job of explaining megapixels and sensor sizes.

That said, do you think (from an optics standpoint) that the NX4 would be similar to the Canon EOS M?

It seems to me that having Android on board with photo editing and all the sharing possibilities will make this quite compelling.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 2 '13 @ 6:40 AM

I think having Android on this camera will make a huge difference. If things go well, i think Samsung might have just changed photography forever but we'll have to wait and see what happens. Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

Updated by C Sab, Sep 2 '13 @ 6:40 AM.

Malik Suleman #4

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 16 '15 @ 10:02 PM

I think having Android on this camera will make a huge difference. If things go well, i think Samsung might have just changed photography forever but we'll have to wait and see what happens. Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

so what can we do with that if nots available?