Started by Lee Bo ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Lee Bo #1

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Sep 3 '13 @ 8:06 AM

(I thought this might go under "Android 101", but I can't start new topics there)

I was asked this morning by a coworker about using a USB device on an Android tablet with no USB connection.  When I asked details about what they wanted to do, I was told they wanted to move a lot of files off the device and onto the SD card but wanted to know if a USB mouse would work as a convenience.  I told them they would need an OTG (On The Go) adapter/cable to convert the micro USB to a standard USB and it should work great.  Afterwards, I connected said adapter to my Nexus 7 and used the Logitech keyboard/mouse combo.  I also have a Logitech Touch K400 that I use if I need to compose an email and just don't want to use my laptop.  Works great.

20130903_115613.jpg

This works great too:

20130903_120756.jpg

Updated by Lee Bo, Sep 3 '13 @ 8:10 AM.

• Cory Streater likes this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Lee Bo #2

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Sep 3 '13 @ 8:12 AM

I also use the same OTG adapter to connect an external hard drive to watch movies while on long trips.  So far it's working great on Nexus 7, Galaxy Note II and Droid Bionic.

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 3 '13 @ 11:47 AM

I use an OTG cable to connect a flash drive or card reader to my Nexus 10. Works perfectly.

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Sep 4 '13 @ 9:16 PM

So in that picture you posted, is that a wireless transmitter plugged into the OTG cable?

How does one know if their device is OTG compatible? Did you just plug it in, and boom it (e.g., keyboard and mouse) started to work?

Lee Bo #5

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Sep 5 '13 @ 12:04 PM

So in that picture you posted, is that a wireless transmitter plugged into the OTG cable?

How does one know if their device is OTG compatible? Did you just plug it in, and boom it (e.g., keyboard and mouse) started to work?

I got the OTG adapter because I was going on a trip and wanted to be able to watch movies from an external source.  I got one to test and was able to connect a 1TB external drive to my N7.  While I was on my trip I had to reply to a rather lengthy email but didn't want to type it all on my tablet.  I had the K400 touchpad keyboard in my bag and figured what the heck, if it works great, if not I'll type it all on the tablet.

• Cory Streater likes this

Jerrod #6

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Sep 30 '13 @ 12:34 PM

What brand adapter did you get and where did  you find it?  You mention using it on the Nexus 7.  What about the Galaxy Nexus...I think it doesn't have a USB connection.

What about the Nexus 4 and I guess Nexus 5?   Do/will they have a USB connection or the same thing my GN has?

Thanks alot.

Lee Bo #7

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 7:26 AM

This is the actual OTG adapter that I got:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should work on anything with a micro charging port.

Updated by Lee Bo, Oct 1 '13 @ 7:27 AM.

Christopher Coleman #8

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 8:30 AM

The device needs to support USB OTG as well.  @Jerrod, the Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 4 all support USB OTG.  Presumably, the Nexus 5 will follow this trend.

Sidenote: @Lee Bo, I really like that little Logitech KB/trackpad number you're using. I see it in stores regularly and always end up talking myself out of picking it up, but it looks like it would be the perfect little wireless solution for a larger-screen setup like a home theater.

Jerrod #9

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 11:57 AM

This is the actual OTG adapter that I got:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

THAT'S IT?  This is the thing that will allow you to read from your tablet or watch movies from it?

I don't need anything else?

Lee Bo #10

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 12:02 PM

Sidenote: @Lee Bo, I really like that little Logitech KB/trackpad number you're using. I see it in stores regularly and always end up talking myself out of picking it up, but it looks like it would be the perfect little wireless solution for a larger-screen setup like a home theater.

STOP talking yourself out of one.  You won't realize just how much you use it until you get one, then you'll be kicking yourself in the butt for not getting one sooner.

Lee Bo #11

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 12:05 PM

THAT'S IT?  This is the thing that will allow you to read from your tablet or watch movies from it?   I don't need anything else?

As Chris pointed out, the device will need to support USB OTG, but any newer (2 years) device should be ok.  There were a few apps I has to get from the Play store (free) to allow my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet to read from an external source, but that was it.  Now if you want to WRITE to an external storage device, your device will need to be rooted.  I could watch movies all day long while unrooted, but then I wanted to more files between my external hard drive and tablet, so root was needed.

Jerrod #12

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 4:50 PM

My next phone will be N5,but my 2012 N7 will need the apps. Can you tell me which ones?

Lee Bo #13

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Oct 26 '13 @ 5:41 AM

My next phone will be N5,but my 2012 N7 will need the apps. Can you tell me which ones?

Unfortunately most of them require root:

https://play.google....tickmount&hl=en

https://play.google....ul.usbotg&hl=en