Started by dmmarck ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 12:05 PM

The "Nexus 5" is the logical name for the next Nexus (phone).  While some of the Android world still has no idea--or at least, no confident idea--in how these things are named (like you, /r/Android), I really do think naming has to be tied directly to the screen size or form factor.  Here's why.

Think about it.  It's not possible for these devices to be actually named (numerically) based on which Nexus they are (first, second, etc.)

First up, the Nexus named phones:

1. Nexus One
  2. Nexus S
  3. Galaxy Nexus
  4. Nexus 4
  5. Nexus 5

But then we have the Nexus named tablets:

1. Nexus 7 (2012)
  2. Nexus 10 (2012)
  3. Nexus 7 (2013)
  4. Nexus 10 (2013) (expected)

...And the miscellaneous "Nexus" devices (to which I'm somewhat out of the loop on) which may or may not be classified, properly, as Nexus devices:

1. Dream/G1
  2. Moto Xoom
  3. Nexus Q
  4. Google Glass

If we started sorting the above-listed stuff out chronologically by release date, we get this:

1. Dream/G1 (Oct. 2008)
  2. Nexus One (Jan. 2010)
  3. Nexus S (Dec. 2010) (yes, there were two Nexus phones in 2010!)
  4. Moto Xoom (Feb. 2011)
  5. Galaxy Nexus (Nov. 2011)
  6. Nexus Q (June 2012) (although, technically it was only available at I/O and through pre-order)
  7. Nexus 7 (July 2012)
  8. Nexus 4 (Nov. 2012)
  9. Nexus 10 (Nov. 2012)
  10. Google Glass (Feb. 2013)
  11. Nexus 7 (Jul. 2013)
  12. Nexus 5 (___ 2013)
  13. Nexus 10 (___ 2013)

(And keep in mind, it's quite possible I'm missing things!)

If we take this aggregate view for what it is, and assume that all devices are, in fact, properly Nexus devices, the only appropriately-named device based upon numerical or chronological order is the first generation Nexus 7.  That's it.  Even if we take out the G1, Xoom, and Q, we still have the Nexus 7 being the 4th Nexus device and the Nexus 4 being the 5th Nexus device.  Doesn't really make sense, does it?  It even makes less sense when we consider the second generation Nexus 7 still being called the Nexus 7, even when it is device #11 (or 8, depending on how you are counting).

As such, if folks argue and say it'll be the Nexus 5 because it's the fifth Nexus phone, they're nuts.  Google clearly adopted a naming system based upon form factor, a naming system completely supported by this year's second generation Nexus 7.  Therefore, if the next Nexus phone has a 5 inch screen, it's the Nexus 5.  If it has a 4 inch screen, it'll be the Nexus 4 (2013 model) (or some variation thereof).  

If, on the other hand, Google calls a 4 inch screen phone the Nexus 5 then they're just taking one too many happy pills up there in Mountain View and probably hate us.

• Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 12:50 PM

I'm guessing the 'Nexus 5' will be named the Nexus 4 (2013)...the same as LG/Google did with the Nexus 7 2012/2013.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 12:52 PM

I'm guessing the 'Nexus 5' will be named the Nexus 4 (2013)...the same as LG/Google did with the Nexus 7 2012/2013.

If it has a 4 inch screen, I agree.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Christopher Coleman #4

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 1:12 PM

Hmm. Tough call. I think you're right though, we will probably be sticking to yearly models as opposed to increasing numbers unless the screen is bigger. It seems to be a growing trend (Samsung, Apple, and Google with the new N7)

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 4

Jerrod #5

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 1:13 PM

Size?  I mean the Nexus 4 was not the first Nexus to have a 4 inch screen.  The Galaxy Nexus also has a 4 inch screen, so I don't think screen size is going to be the sole determining factor in a name and this next phone is rumored to have a 4.96 inch screen which is still 4 inches.

Before the Galaxy Nexus was released there was speculation about the name of the device.  One of the names was The Nexus Prime.  I like that name.

Google might just call this phone the Nexus LG 2.  Or maybe the Nexus X.

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 1:15 PM

Size? I mean the Nexus 4 was not the first Nexus to have a 4 inch screen. The Galaxy Nexus also has a 4 inch screen, so I don't think screen size is going to be the sole determining factor in a name and this next phone is rumored to have a 4.96 inch screen which is still 4 inches.

Before the Galaxy Nexus was released there was speculation about the name of the device. One of the names was The Nexus Prime. I like that name.

Google might just call this phone the Nexus LG 2. Or maybe the Nexus X.

I don't think it had to be the first to have a 4 inch screen to justify the use of 4. If you look at the naming, this criteria applies to stuff for 2012 and after, not necessarily 2011 and before.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Treknologist #7

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 3:05 PM

If they are linking the name to the screen size, then it would likely make sense for it to be Nexus 5 if the screen has the expected 5" size.  As dmmarck points out, the other two Nexus devices have retained names based on their screen size so Google may just decide to do the same thing with the phones.  We'll have to see.

• dmmarck likes this

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

C Sab #8

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 5:10 PM

I don't really put too much thought into the name of a phone. As long as a phone isn't named something stupid (you have no idea what kind of names I've seen for existing devices) then I'm happy.

Jerrod #9

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 1:11 PM

Kind of agree with C Sab here.  I don't care what the name is.  Just give me a great phone.  Chances are I am going to rename it anyway.  You know, I call my phones different names anyway - , Johnny, Pete, Sam, George, Frankie, My thingie, My phoneru....so the name of the phone doesnt' matter cause I am gonna call it something else anyway.

Bring it on!  I'll call it something that pops into my head

C Sab #10

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 9 '13 @ 8:40 AM

Kind of agree with C Sab here. I don't care what the name is. Just give me a great phone. Chances are I am going to rename it anyway. You know, I call my phones different names anyway - , Johnny, Pete, Sam, George, Frankie, My thingie, My phoneru....so the name of the phone doesnt' matter cause I am gonna call it something else anyway.

Bring it on! I'll call it something that pops into my head

I like coming up with nicknames for my techie partners. My phone is called Sami. Haven't thought of one for my Nexus 10 or Nikon yet though.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4