Started by creccaj ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

creccaj #1

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 5:15 PM

If you look at this device without an brand bias, you would think that this would be a no brainer when it comes to lining up next to the other top tier devices out there today.  Insane specs, amazing screen, good battery size and respectable camera.  It sounds like it would be lining up right next to the S4 and One or perhaps even surpassing them.  

Sadly we do not live in a world where bias does not exist.  We live in a world of brand names and reputations and this is where I think this phone will fall a little flat.  Take away the Nexus 4, you can't really consider that an LG phone considering it doesn't have LG's skin.  LG has never had a device on all the major networks which does hurt them, they haven't been exposed to the public in the same way that HTC or Samsung has.  But that no problem right?  Specs and press are enough to hurdle over this right?

I am not so sure.  LG doesn't have a great track record with devices.  Yes they have some solid devices (Optimus G and G Pro) but they don't have popularity behind it.  This right here would be enough to stop the average consumer from buying the phone but for those of us who research phones to the bitter end that doesn't matter.  

For us, it comes down to changing the norm.  I am talking about the buttons.  This for me could possibly be a deal breaker, I am unsure how well they will work or if I will be able to get use to them.  I am sure anything is possible to get use to over time and use but I highly doubt this will be a trend that all manufacturers will follow.  So even if you do get use to it, when you get a phone that doesn't have buttons in the same position it will be annoying to some to re-learn the button layout.

That isn't even the biggest deal breaker, the UI is.  I despise the LG UI.  It looks like they are making it a toy and adding way to much and it gets in the way of itself.  Too much in the notification pane, the menus are a mess and overall the main UI isn't my preference (though that can be solved with a 3rd party launcher).  

So I ask you, what would stop you from buying a G2?

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 7 '13 @ 5:37 PM

Honestly, I don't really see much reason to not get this phone. I just have to see if my corporate plan would allow me to get it. (My selection is limited because of my corporate account.)

creccaj #3

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 6:49 AM

The more and more I look at it the more I like the design of it but I don't know if I would be able to handle the LG UI.  I played around with the G Pro in the store for a little bit one time and it was quick, but all the menus look childish, more so than TouchWiz with the S4.  

Knowing me, I will probably get it so who the hell knows what happens.  Snapdragon S800 mmmmmm.

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 7:23 AM

Love the phone.. Love the uniqueness of the buttons.. Love the dual speakers located on the bottom... Love the specs.. HATE the user interface, it looks like a cartoon.. What a shame because I would buy this phone in a heartbeat if it weren't for the UI.

Anyone know what the Dev community is like for this phone? If someone can do a complete overhaul and create a nice looking stock themed ROM for the phone... I might be tempted.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

creccaj #5

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 3:49 PM

Love the phone.. Love the uniqueness of the buttons.. Love the dual speakers located on the bottom... Love the specs.. HATE the user interface, it looks like a cartoon.. What a shame because I would buy this phone in a heartbeat if it weren't for the UI.

Anyone know what the Dev community is like for this phone? If someone can do a complete overhaul and create a nice looking stock themed ROM for the phone... I might be tempted.

So if CM came to this phone u would be set lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Christopher Coleman #6

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 8:06 PM

My biggest problems are the cluttered to hell pulldown and the icons. A custom launcher and icon set will do wonders.

Jerrod #7

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 9:00 PM

What would stop me? ......If LG is making the next Nexus with an S800 processor.  Stopped dead in my tracks.

• Cyber Warrior likes this

Christopher Coleman #8

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 9:01 PM

That is true. The next Nexus looks nice

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Sep 8 '13 @ 10:49 PM

My biggest problems are the cluttered to hell pulldown and the icons. A custom launcher and icon set will do wonders.

Custom launcher won't help that notification pull down ;) It seems extreme but that doesn't bother me as much as the cartoon settings/menus.

If the Nexus 5 doesn't make it to Verizon.. this may be a contender if I see decent Dev support.. Not just CM.. which I actually find boring, but a nice stock themed ROM and a nice AOSP/AOKP style ROM.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :