Photo

Motorola has ruined me; could OEM bias save some of my sanity?

Started by Christopher Coleman ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Sep 9 '13 @ 11:43 AM

ETrrMHW.jpg

I love phones.  I love tablets.  I love anything that runs Android, at least as long as the amount of time it takes me to hate whatever "it" is due to poor design, lackluster specifications, or bullshit software customization that can't easily be avoided.  The passion that I have for this mobile OS and the ecosystem behind it is very strong, and I know that if you're reading this, there is a good chance that you feel the same way.

I am comfortable in saying that I do not have a bias towards any one OEM.  I've had a small amount of devices compared to some of you, but they have all been from different companies and suffice to say they all had some really good things about them without their lack of things I hated.  The point is, I feel like every single new device is a chance for redemption.  So, to put things another way, I won't ever say that Samsung makes shitty phones because the Intercept I owned for about 10 minutes was slower than...everything, or that LG makes shitty phones because the Optimus V I had only sported a 320x480 resolution screen.  Market trends change, OEMs try new things, and if I put myself into a box like that, I'll only be hurting myself.  With all that in mind, I should be able to stay happier than a pig in shit no matter what I'm using, as long as it can do what I need it to do, right?

Motorola has shown me that even without the unnecessary bias, I can still get just as disappointed in a manufacturer and find myself leaning towards swearing them off for good.  The Moto X was supposed to take over the world. Android's version of the iPhone.  Beautiful design only enhanced by customization,  Specs that, while not top of the line, will handle anything you throw at it, not even taking into account Motorola's unique processor technology which really helps things like battery life and software optimization.  Don't even get me started on how excited I am (was?) about the Active Notifcations and Moto Assist.

But, just like every other manufacturer, they fucked it up.  Exclusivity on certain models and features, a staggered release, and an unjustifiable price point has ruined any chance of the Moto X taking on the mass appeal that was expected.  Watching this play out, as someone who while staying neutral is a big fan of Motorola, is very disappointing.  It makes me angry.  Why Motorola has insisted on ruining what could have been something so big and so great is beyond me.  I can't come up with any reason as to how these practices are justified.

So, all of that being said, maybe there's something to this whole OEM bias thing.  I am beginning to feel like I set myself up for so much more disappointment by not being a hater.

What do you think?

• Cory Streater, dmmarck and Ahowe125 like this

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 9 '13 @ 1:38 PM

Everyone's biased in some way and to some extent. But I feel that no matter where you look you'll eventually find yourself disappointed at some point, so might as well just do what is best for you. Whether that be wait to see if that manufacturer makes something better in your eyes, or look to someone else for something better.

Jerrod #3

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Sep 9 '13 @ 1:49 PM

Just my random thoughts:

The Moto X certainly is in the same size range as the iPhone and the ability to customize it makes it nice even though Apple seems to be trying to do the same thing with their next phone.  The phone will certainly fit into a pocket well which is one thing I really like.  It's true that everything that is being said about the phone seems to indicate that it will run anything you throw at it so this is a plus. No laggy phone here and I think this was a big objective.

​Like you I don't like exclusivity, so I don't like that One carrier got to have the phone before others, but this is not new and even Google themselves did this with the Galaxy Nexus didn't they?  It was on Verizon before it was anyplace else.  It's just the  business model in the USA; OEMs have to grease the ....&#S...for the carriers and then maybe the carriers might act right with them for the next season. The only reason Apple was able to do what they did was because at the time of the first few iPhones, they were big new hits and everyone wanted them....Not so much anymore.

As far as price point. I went to the AT&T site.  All of their current phones are selling at $199.  (I bet if you get this on Verizon it will be sitting at $299..because Verizon doesn't do $199 well).  Every newly released phone is at $199 regardless of what the phone can or cannot do.  The exception is the Galaxy Note 3 which is at $299.  So this phone is at the same price point as every other newly released phone.  The thing is that the price doesn't have anything to do with the phone.  The price is about what they are going to charge for a newly released phone....this is their business model and they are not going to sell a just released phone for less than their cost model is set for.

As for people like us that might want to buy a phone outright.  We don't matter.  The majority of consumers are NOT going to do this and I think this is the market this phone is directed to - people who want a phone with a contract.

When I first heard about the phone my first thought was that we could go to the Moto or google site and buy it just like a Nexus....except...then I realized that Google bought an OEM.  Moto has to act like a USA OEM not a subsidy of phones like parent company Google is. Google subsidizes the Nexus and gets benefit from it because it shows off their next system release and the Nexus is suppose to represent a starting point for what can be obtainable from Android.  Moto on the other hand has to design, manufacture and sell phones so there is no reason I should be thinking that they will act as their parent company does; in fact they probably SHOULDN'T if they want to stay in business. As much as I would like to think the the MotoX will quickly get system updates, i have enough doubts in my mind to make me think that what I really need to get is another Nexus phone.  It's just that I really like the Motox and as much as I like phones I am not buying a phone everytime something comes out.  Just update it and I am fine.

• ohgeegeo likes this

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 11:22 PM

Old thread but I think this needs to be discussed further now. Why? I think the Moto G might be a better example of what Coleman was talking about than the X. It has most of the benefits with none of the downsides (especially price.)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

wyndslash #5

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 2:51 AM

Old thread, but given the recent developments, CC, has your feelings changed?

Christopher Coleman #6

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 5:19 AM

It isn't that my feelings have changed; but they're sort of irrelevant now. The Moto X is available on all major carriers via the Moto Maker and they seemed to do right by simply offering an unlocked Moto G easily purchased straight through them.

Zeeshan Khan #7

Zeeshan Khan
  • 40 posts

Posted Nov 6 '16 @ 5:35 AM

https://play.google....aner.rambooster

Ever felt that your phone or tablet is lagging and more slow by the day? Phone cleaner 2017 clean & boost optimizes your Android Phone,
RAM, and battery with a single tap.Phone cleaner 2017 clean & boost provides one-click optimization, automatic boosting,
and the ability to manually control processes that optimize your device’s resources.

Key Features :

> Optimize And Clean.
> Fast Phone cleaner 2017 -clean & boost.
> Smart Cache Phone cleaner 2017.
> Apps Cleaner and Booster.
> Master Battery Saver.
> Enhance your OS performance.
> Unwanted Storage Space.

https://play.google....khan.free.songs

Zeeshan Khan #8

Zeeshan Khan
  • 40 posts

Ever felt that your phone or tablet is lagging and more slow by the day? Phone cleaner 2017 clean & boost optimizes your Android Phone,
RAM, and battery with a single tap.Phone cleaner 2017 clean & boost provides one-click optimization, automatic boosting,
and the ability to manually control processes that optimize your device’s resources.

Key Features :

> Optimize And Clean.
> Master Battery Saver.

Zeeshan Khan #9

Zeeshan Khan
  • 40 posts

Key Features :

> Optimize And Clean.
> Master Battery Saver.

Zeeshan Khan #10

Zeeshan Khan
  • 40 posts

Old thread but I think this needs to be discussed further now. Why? I think the Moto G might be a better example of what Coleman was talking about than the X. It has most of the benefits with none of the downsides (especially price.)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

Key Features :

> Optimize And Clean.
> Master Battery Saver.

Zeeshan Khan #11

Zeeshan Khan
  • 40 posts

Posted Nov 6 '16 @ 5:36 AM

Just my random thoughts:

The Moto X certainly is in the same size range as the iPhone and the ability to customize it makes it nice even though Apple seems to be trying to do the same thing with their next phone.  The phone will certainly fit into a pocket well which is one thing I really like.  It's true that everything that is being said about the phone seems to indicate that it will run anything you throw at it so this is a plus. No laggy phone here and I think this was a big objective.

​Like you I don't like exclusivity, so I don't like that One carrier got to have the phone before others, but this is not new and even Google themselves did this with the Galaxy Nexus didn't they?  It was on Verizon before it was anyplace else.  It's just the  business model in the USA; OEMs have to grease the ....&#S...for the carriers and then maybe the carriers might act right with them for the next season. The only reason Apple was able to do what they did was because at the time of the first few iPhones, they were big new hits and everyone wanted them....Not so much anymore.

As far as price point. I went to the AT&T site.  All of their current phones are selling at $199.  (I bet if you get this on Verizon it will be sitting at $299..because Verizon doesn't do $199 well).  Every newly released phone is at $199 regardless of what the phone can or cannot do.  The exception is the Galaxy Note 3 which is at $299.  So this phone is at the same price point as every other newly released phone.  The thing is that the price doesn't have anything to do with the phone.  The price is about what they are going to charge for a newly released phone....this is their business model and they are not going to sell a just released phone for less than their cost model is set for.

As for people like us that might want to buy a phone outright.  We don't matter.  The majority of consumers are NOT going to do this and I think this is the market this phone is directed to - people who want a phone with a contract.

When I first heard about the phone my first thought was that we could go to the Moto or google site and buy it just like a Nexus....except...then I realized that Google bought an OEM.  Moto has to act like a USA OEM not a subsidy of phones like parent company Google is. Google subsidizes the Nexus and gets benefit from it because it shows off their next system release and the Nexus is suppose to represent a starting point for what can be obtainable from Android.  Moto on the other hand has to design, manufacture and sell phones so there is no reason I should be thinking that they will act as their parent company does; in fact they probably SHOULDN'T if they want to stay in business. As much as I would like to think the the MotoX will quickly get system updates, i have enough doubts in my mind to make me think that what I really need to get is another Nexus phone.  It's just that I really like the Motox and as much as I like phones I am not buying a phone everytime something comes out.  Just update it and I am fine.

Key Features :

> Optimize And Clean.
> Master Battery Saver.

Zeeshan Khan #12

Zeeshan Khan
  • 40 posts

Posted Nov 6 '16 @ 5:36 AM

Key Features :

> Optimize And Clean.
> Master Battery Saver.

Zeeshan Khan #13

Zeeshan Khan
  • 40 posts

Posted Nov 6 '16 @ 5:37 AM

Key Features :

> Optimize And Clean.
> Master Battery Saver.