Who this is for:
Your Verizon Galaxy S4 is rooted, and you wish to return it back to factory defaults — possibly to return it to Verizon or to ensure you can successfully receive official OTA (over the air) updates.
This procedure is specifically written for Verizon Galaxy S4's running Baseband Version I545VRUAME7. You can view the Baseband version via the About phone screen in the Settings menu:
You will use a Windows only (Mac users read post #2) application, called ODIN, to flash the official Verizon stock ROM that shipped with your phone. All files are included below. The entire process (excluding download time) take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. Your phone will be completely wiped clean.
Follow the steps below to prepare your phone for flashing:
- Charge it.
- Disconnect the USB cable.
- Turn the phone over and remove the battery.
- Reinsert the battery.
- Simultaneously press and hold the following 3 buttons:
- Volume down
- Middle button
- Release when you see the “Warning!!” message regarding the installation of a custom OS.
- Press the Volume Up button to continue.
- Connect the phone to your computer.
- Set the phone aside for now.
The screen will display a green Android robot with the words “Downloading… Do not turn off target!!” underneath.
The following process has been tested & confirmed on a fresh install of Windows. It does not account for any:
- Existing Samsung mobile drivers you may have installed.
- Antivirus, spyware, nor firewall applications.
- Samsung Drivers – necessary for Windows to communicate with the phone.
- ODIN – a Windows based application used to flash the ROM.
- ROM – contains a tar file that will be flashed to the phone.
You should see a blue bar under ID:COM — indicating a connection has been made between your phone and ODIN.
ODIN will load the ROM and verify its MD5 hash. The ROM file name will display to the right of the PDA button when it’s finished.
ODIN will flash the ROM — a process that can take up to approximately 7 minutes.
Phone ROM Flash:
- Your phone will reset/reboot once ODIN has finished.
- As it boots, you will see:
- An Android robot with a spinning orb.
- A Samsung logo.
- An animated Verizon 4G LTE logo for up to 5 minutes.
- And finally, the setup wizard prompting you to select a language.
Your phone is now back to stock.
Questions are welcome!
Follow Cory Streater on Google Plus