LG G2 G2 LG Android AT&T Google

• Sign In To Reply:  

creccaj #1

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 5:31 AM

As many of you are already aware, I must have the newest phone out on the market and usually the top tier ones are too good to ignore.  This is another one of those cases where I find myself loving the phone when I check it out in the store and buying it after playing with it for about 10-15 minutes.  That being said, how much do I like it a couple days after I do buy it?  Well lets find out!

Over the next 14 (now 13 since I got the device last night) I will be posting daily updates about thoughts about this phone.  Likes, dislikes, annoyances and surprises.  Don't expect me to come out of the gate saying this phone is the end all of phones, it isn't in my eyes yet, LG has some making up to do for poor phones in the past (exclude Nexus 4 of course).  

So without any further ado, lets get to it!

Day 1 - Purchase Day and Initial Impressions

I found myself talking to a couple different people through out the day about the device so I figured I would go check it out after work considering I hit about 2-3 AT&T stores on the way home.  I get to the store around 5:45 - 6pm EST and I go check out the phone.  The first thing that stood out to me immediately was the gorgeous screen.  Reviews, pics and videos don't do this phone justice.  The screen on the this device is clean, crisp and ultra clear.  Once I got over the gorgeous screen I played around with it and boy this phone is FAST.  Nothing made it stutter or hiccup in performance and and damn well shouldn't with a Snapdragon S800.  

After playing for about 20-30 minutes I ended up getting the AMEX card out and walking out with Black LG G2.  First day I can't really say much considering after I purchased the phone I downloaded a couple of apps that I use on a daily basis, set up my gmail and set up my home screen.

I am going to address the elephant in the room, the buttons.  I have been on the side of "I don't think I will ever get use to them" for a while now.  Well, I can safely say that I can get use to them.  I have had the phone less than 24 hours and I already have become accustomed to using them on the back.  It feels very natural to hold the phone and use the buttons on the back as well as the double tap to sleep and wake feature which is an excellent add-on.  

So after a short day 1 experience, I can say that the screen is brilliant, performance so far is top notch, buttons are great on the back and the phone feels amazing in the hand.  Lets see what a full day brings tomorrow (now today) ;).  

Day 2 - LG UI Destroyed This Phone

So a full day has gone by with the device and I am sad to say that the device is back in the box ready to go back to AT&T once the store doors open.  Why?  The LG UI.  I tried to love it and I tried to rationalize it but the UI that LG put on this device made it look cluttered and cartooney the more and more I looked around the phone.  I tried to love the phone for the screen and and the battery as well some of the good features but in the end, that UI was just an abomination.   

I would be able to live with the UI if I could use something like Nova or Apex, but by switching to a third party launcher disables the use of the double tap feature to sleep and wake the screen.  Huge issue for me there considering I would get annoyed real quick having to pick up my phone just to press the power button to turn the screen on.  

The other thing worth mentioning... the sound.  While its not bad, when you turn the volume all the way up it gets very distorted.  Not something you would want it today's world.  

So as much as I would have loved to do a full 14 days with this device, I don't think my sanity would take it.  After much discussion/arguements between myself and the TAC staff (mainly Cory and Dylan :P) I came to the conclusion that I was trying to rationalize the phone because of that S800 CPU and screen.  However, the old saying still remains... You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.  

For now, I will resume all mobile computing on my trustworthy Nexus 4.  When I got to AT&T to return the device I will consider exchanging it for a Moto X so that I can have a Nexus like experience with 4G LTE.  That being said, we will see what happens.  

• N3xs and Ahowe125 like this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 6:59 AM

I Must have now.

Questions I have:

1. Can the fonts be changed?
  2. How is battery life?
  3. How does the screen compare to the S4, particularly color contrast and brightness. How do the whites on the two screens compare?
  4. If you open Settings > Storage > Internal Storage, how much does it say for remaining?
  5. What is the Antutu benchmark score?
  6. How does the camera compare to the S4?
  7. How is build quality? I think the black makes it look a little cheapish on camera.
  8. How jittery is The Verge when you load and scroll through their page?

creccaj #3

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 7:16 AM

I Must have now.

Questions I have:

1. Can the fonts be changed? - Yes, however currently fonts downloaded from market do not show up in font changer like it does on the S4.  This does come with more built in fonts than the S4.  
  2. How is battery life? - Can't tell you a good number yet, didn't start at 100% out of the box, will give you a better indication once I get to "normal" day to day use.  
  3. How does the screen compare to the S4, particularly color contrast and brightness. How do the whites on the two screens compare? - Brightness is on the same level as the S4, but the colors look a little less saturated than the S4.  The best way I can describe it would be that it is like the new Nexus 7 (2013) screen, but brighter and sharper which I would bet comes down to the fact that its a smaller screen.  Screens are very VERY close between the S4 and G2 but I honestly like the G2s screen more.
  4. If you open Settings > Storage > Internal Storage, how much does it say for remaining? - Don't need to tell me how to get to storage Cory :P, but mine is showing 24.12gb of storage.  After installing applications I have about 22.77gb of storage left.  Better than the S4 on that front.  
  5. What is the Antutu benchmark score? - Don't believe in benchmarking phones, not a good indications of daily use so I won't be doing one.  If you don't like it, go buy your own and do it :P
  6. How does the camera compare to the S4? - Pretty damn solid, haven't snapped many pics yet, tonight I will when I am at a pig roast with some buddies but the 1 or 2 pics I took last night in a dimly lite restaurant came out very clear.  Optical Image Stablization seems to work very well, I have shaky hands when taking pics so I have a feeling that this will come in handy for me.   
  7. How is build quality? I think the black makes it look a little cheapish on camera. - Build quality feels on par with the S4.  The black isn't as bad as some of the reviewers say.  Yes you will get finger print smudges, but that is the same case will plastic/glass phones that are black.  I personally like the black for this phone because the screen blends in so nicely with the minimal bezels on the front.  I don't have any creaks either unlike some reviews say.  
  8. How jittery is The Verge when you load and scroll through their page? - Loaded the Verge mobile site and desktop site.  Scrolling is very fluid and no jittering unless the webpage didn't load the picture yet.  Scrolling very quickly down the page does produce a little jitter here and there but I have had the same experience will all Android phones.  Did this on Chrome Beta.  

Answer bolded above :P.  

• Cyber Warrior likes this

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 9:20 AM

Lol.. Phone whore.
  • creccaj likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

creccaj #5

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 9:35 AM

Lol.. Phone whore.

Dually noted.  

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #6

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 9:54 AM

Lol.. Phone whore.

Dually noted.

I'm just jealous ;) I look forward to your thoughts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

creccaj #7

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 9:57 AM

Lol.. Phone whore.

Dually noted.

I'm just jealous ;) I look forward to your thoughts.

So far so good.  Will probably update with day 2 later tonight for first thing tomorrow morning.  

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 1:07 PM

How's the speaker quality? Crisp, loud? I hate that they removed the dual speaker look from the Verizon variant.. however on the other hand, it opened my eyes to the fact that it was never dual speakers to begin with. One side is a speaker, the other side is a microphone. They also changed the buttons on the back of the Verizon variant which I understand is actually an improvement because it's more raised.

Thoughts on the UI? How tolerable is it for you? The notification pull down doesn't seem to bother me as much as the look of the cartoon menus/settings.

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #9

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 4:14 PM

Need to flash it immediately.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #10

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Sep 14 '13 @ 5:02 PM

Sounds like a solid device.

creccaj #11

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Sep 15 '13 @ 3:19 AM

How's the speaker quality? Crisp, loud? I hate that they removed the dual speaker look from the Verizon variant.. however on the other hand, it opened my eyes to the fact that it was never dual speakers to begin with. One side is a speaker, the other side is a microphone. They also changed the buttons on the back of the Verizon variant which I understand is actually an improvement because it's more raised.

Thoughts on the UI? How tolerable is it for you? The notification pull down doesn't seem to bother me as much as the look of the cartoon menus/settings.

I have no issues with the quality with the device at all. Not the best when comparing it something like the One but it's good.

I prefer the flat buttons that are the same color as the back of the device. Like the uniformity.

One thing that is going to annoy me is the fact that if you install Nova or Apex the double tap to sleep and wake doesn't work. Only reason I am still using the stock launcher.

I will post post day 2 soon with thoughts on UI.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

tacsig513.png

Treknologist #12

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Sep 19 '13 @ 3:49 PM

I just got an invitation from LG to "meet" the LG G2 at an event they are having in Miami Friday next week. I registered already!  Looking forward to it!

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

dmmarck #13

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 4 '13 @ 8:19 PM

Remember that time @creccaj had a G2?

tacsig513.png

C Sab #14

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 4 '13 @ 8:44 PM

Is this still Day 2 technically? ;)

creccaj #15

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 6 '13 @ 11:46 AM

@dmmarck, I remember that time, now I have the Nexus version.  

• dmmarck likes this

tacsig513.png

C Sab #16

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 6 '13 @ 2:02 PM

I bet the UI can't compare to the new stock one. ;)

dmmarck #17

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 3:58 PM

@C Sab, it does compare, however, to Sunday morning cartoons. 

tacsig513.png

C Sab #18

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 4:10 PM

Nothing beats cartoons of the Saturday morning variety.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

dmmarck #19

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 4:24 PM

lol I forgot which day they air, so sue me

tacsig513.png

C Sab #20

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 4:52 PM

lol I forgot which day they air, so sue me

Haha They air them both days.