Started by Ahowe125 ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Ahowe125 #1

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Sep 25 '13 @ 10:50 AM

So this is more of a router question for those of you that know routers. But it may involve Android as well. Here is my story. 

First the devices involved

- DLink DIR-655 Wireless N gigabit router  (Cat 6 Ethernet between it and the modem)

- Comcast cable modem - Zoom 5431 IIRC

- 1 Desktop Computer with Cat 6 Ethernet

- 1 Laptop Computer with Cat 5e Ethernet

- 1 HP Deskjet Printer on Wireless G

- 1 Apple iPhone 4s on Wireless N

- 1 Apple iPad Mini on Wireless N

- 1 Apple iPod on Wireless G/N? (it has been off the last few times I looked)

- 1 2013 Nexus 7 on stock 4.3 (unlocked and rooted)

- 1 OG Razr Maxx (CM10.2 based ROM)

For the past month or so, My Home WiFi has been crap. It has been dropping signal all the time. I actually believe that the router is turning off the WiFi signal and bringing it backup.  It also seems to be refreshing the "internet" because the connection up time resets when this happens. The Cable Modem "up time" is not effected by this and never resets.  

Here is where things get weird. Its either a very strange coincidence or directly related to the issue. Most of the only time the router seems to "drop" connection, is when my Android devices are connected. I only say this, because before I left for work it dropped connection when my phone was on the Wifi. Then when I remotely logged into the router from work, it had been connected for 4 hours. The exact amount of time It had been since I left work leaving the router with no Android devices connected. 

I have been checking the logs for anything out of place, and I can't seem to identify the issue. I have been going at this for a while now and am close to saying screw it and replace the router. But I just bought this unit a few years ago and don't see it being bad. 

Anyone have any thought? Ideas? or need more information to help? Like I said, I'm not really sure this is Android related, so if need be you can move this topic. 

Thanks 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Christopher Coleman #2

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 8:27 AM

I'm not very knowledgeable on routers, but I have an issue at home with my DSL modem. It doubles as a wireless router but we can't use it because there seems to be a maximum amount of devices it can handle before exhibiting exactly the same behavior as you are describing.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

Ahowe125 #3

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 5:30 PM

I'm not very knowledgeable on routers, but I have an issue at home with my DSL modem. It doubles as a wireless router but we can't use it because there seems to be a maximum amount of devices it can handle before exhibiting exactly the same behavior as you are describing.

I will have to look into that. I can report that the router has been up for three days following this post and the only thing different is that I have kept my phone off the wifi. Not sure what, but it seems to be messing it up. Maybe you are on to something with the number of connections.

Sent from my 2013 Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |

Christopher Coleman #4

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 5:41 PM

I wish I knew for sure. Do routers have a shelf life beyond physical wear and tear on the ports? Or should they technically operate as expected forever?

Also, if you have yet to check for a firmware upgrade for the router, can't hurt to do so.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 4

Ahowe125 #5

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Sep 30 '13 @ 5:46 AM

I have not had a chance to check into the number of clients that can connect. I don't think that is an issue though. 

I did however switch my Razr from the CM10.2/AOSP/4.3 ROM that I was running back to a Blur(4.1.2)/AOSP based ROM Backup I had before I switched and I kid you not, the router has been fine. 

Could it honestly be something to do with how the wifi is handled in that Custom Kernel? Could it have been causing issues? And then why is it not widely documented?

Either way, I was having some Data issues with that CM10.2 based ROM as most Razr owners do, so I switched back to the stock based for now until some more bugs get worked out. 

Ahowe125 #6

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 6:11 AM

Forgot all about this thread, but I have updates!

So a month ago, I upgraded to the HTC One from the Razr Maxx. When I first got it, on stock Sense the WiFi worked fine. Everything was good with the router and my house was happy. 

Then I started tinkering and installed a GPe Ported custom ROM and once again, it started crashing my WiFi router. I contacted the Dev of the ROM and we tried to troubleshoot the issue with no resolution. 

Then I did some more research and found out that some Android devices don't play well with my specific D-Link router. Furthermore they like Wireless N even more. So one band-aid fix I found was to simply disable the Wireless N part of the router and force devices to use Wireless G instead. So far it has fixed the issue and the router has been working fine for almost 2 weeks.

When my HTC One gets 4.4 I'm going to turn the Wireless N back on and see if it still has issues or not. 

Just thought I would update the thread in case it helped anyone else out down the road. 

Treknologist #7

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 8:12 AM

Did you find out how many devices can be connected at the same time with the router?  Usually there's a limited number (up to 10 for many).  I was having issues with my Belkin N router and I decided to go ahead and the the Asus RT-AC66U AC router and that has worked like a charm.  The signal is much stronger and even if the signal weakens some, there's still plenty of speed on the connection. 

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Ahowe125 #8

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 9:11 AM

Did you find out how many devices can be connected at the same time with the router?  Usually there's a limited number (up to 10 for many).  I was having issues with my Belkin N router and I decided to go ahead and the the Asus RT-AC66U AC router and that has worked like a charm.  The signal is much stronger and even if the signal weakens some, there's still plenty of speed on the connection. 

I have not found that information anywhere, but I would be surprised if it couldn't support 6 wireless clients and 2 wired clients. Not to mention the issue came and went with the different ROM's/OS versions, not the addition/subtraction of computers. I say that because there was a time when I added a customers computer for repair to my network and it worked fine. 

I'm pretty content using Wireless G as I don't really notice a speed difference on my phone/tablet or even computers. If this is the only thing that makes it work until I'm ready to buy a new one, then so be it. lol