Started by BobbyKing ,
Pandora Chromecast Chromecast Update News

• Sign In To Reply:  

BobbyKing #1

BobbyKing
  • 20 posts
  • Device: Moto X/Nexus 4/Nexus 7

Posted Sep 27 '13 @ 12:14 PM

Just got myself a chromecast (finally). This is thing is awesome! Does anyone know when Pandora will be compatible? I thought they were one of the original launch partners along with Netflix.

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 6:22 AM

Hi Bobby,

At launch time Google announced that Pandora support would be enabled in a future update. They've yet to live up to that promise, and I noticed there's no longer any mention of Pandora on the Chromecast product page in the Play Store.

The most recent update announcement, by a Chromecast Engineer, only mentioned updates to the kernel, security fixes/enhancements, and robustness improvements (whatever the hell that is). That was 10 days ago, and there hasn't been any content provider related news from the Chromecast team lately.

From my vantage point, the only accomplishment I've seen from them since launch, are updates that block development of apps that enable playback of media from sources other than those they've established partnerships with.

I'm back to mostly using a Roku. In regards to 3rd party apps, it does a lot more (including Pandora support) for just $20 more. That said, it doesn't stream Google Play content, which is quite a trade off. Out of the box, Roku also lacks support for YouTube, although it can be added by side loading an app called VideoBuzz.

Here is a link to the announcement.
  • BobbyKing likes this

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 6:58 AM

Can you load Pandora in Chrome and just cast the entire tab over?

BobbyKing #4

BobbyKing
  • 20 posts
  • Device: Moto X/Nexus 4/Nexus 7

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 7:04 AM

Thanks Cory. The lack of development is a little disappointing. I have a Western Digital streaming device that is similar to a Roku and have been using that.

Chris, that is how I am accessing Pandora for the time being. It just would be easier to manage everything from the phone so I can easily and remotely change songs/stations etc.

Joelupr #5

Joelupr
  • 1 posts

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 3:46 PM

Can you load Pandora in Chrome and just cast the entire tab over?

Yes. You can absolutely use Chrome and cast the tab and Pandora will work beautifully. No smartphone support Yet. Chromecast is fairly new and I hope that other providers launch their apps. This is not google's fault. Google blocked some apps that doesn't provided a steady Chromecast experience. But its up to other providers like Pandora to launch their apps on time...

Christopher Coleman #6

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 9:35 PM

Ah, Google. Why u release all products in beta?
  • BobbyKing likes this

Malik Suleman #7

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 16 '15 @ 10:07 PM

becasue just for testing they release in beta