Started by Cyber Warrior ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Sep 28 '13 @ 2:02 PM

I just ordered this off of Amazon.. should be here in a few days. I plan on using it with a Nexus 4 style wireless charging orb.

qi charge gs4.jpg

I'll share my thoughts when I receive it. Anyone else using wireless charging? The one Samsung makes was ridiculously expensive.. plus you need to use a bulky battery cover.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

N3xs #2

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Oct 3 '13 @ 8:02 AM

I'm using a red Nokia wireless charging plate I got at half price on the AT&T website: http://www.att.com/s...dSearchTerm=PLA

It bought it for my new N7 and my future phone whatever it may be...

I can say that it works perfectly with my N7 ;) 

N3xs #3

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Oct 3 '13 @ 8:03 AM

I'll share my thoughts when I receive it.
did you get your coil yet? I'm interested in the results ;) 

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Oct 3 '13 @ 8:23 AM

Yes, I just received everything yesterday actually. The wireless receiver for the phone works great.. no bulk whatsoever and works flawless. Only problem that I'm having is I think my Galaxy S4 with its case on.. made the phone too heavy for the QI orb charger and the phone slides down to whatever surface it's on causing the charge to stop. When using the orb, the phone needs to sit off the ground about a quarter of an inch to be in the charging zone. I've read a lot of complaints about these orb style chargers and people finding their phones slide completely off and hit the ground. My phone doesn't slide completely off but it's far enough to stop the charging. What I did was add a little ledge for now in front of the charger so the phone can't slide all the way down. So far I don't mind it but it 'is' an inconvenience.

My Nexus 7 works just fine with the orb both in landscape and portrait, there's no sliding but I also don't have a case on my tablet so it's pretty light compared to the G4.. the orb feels slightly too small to hold a tablet, it's somewhat of a balancing act.. but it does work.

So the receiver I'm 100% happy with.. on the other hand, the orb could be better.. I'm thinking I should have just bought a flat charging station. My advice for anyone looking to buy a wireless charger.. If you have a case on your device, buy a flat charger.. Not the orb.. the slight difference in weight is just enough to cause the device to slide. Or maybe if you have a sticky TPU rubber case it'll have better results holding up against the rubber charging pad. My case has a smooth back, so that's probably not helping the grip.
  • N3xs and Ahowe125 like this

tacsig513.png

N3xs #5

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Oct 3 '13 @ 9:33 AM

@Cyber Warrior, great news, I might order one for my Gnex ... but I dunno I only have 3 months left with it... The Nokia charger is my first wireless charger ever and I must say that I'm pretty impressed with it. I don;t ever have to worry about my tablet sliding off as you mentioned since it's a flat charging station and it has this little LED light that indicates when it's charging not to mention that the N7 makes a noise when it connects... 

I also want to get a Fat Boy from Nokia, it looks awesome and it would be better for my N7 size-wise:

nokia-fatboy-wireless-charger.jpg

Cyber Warrior #6

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Oct 4 '13 @ 5:23 PM

I just ordered this one for the car.. I don't think they make it tablet sized :) but I got it for my GS4 based on some xda reviews.. there's a youtube link as well on the websites header.

sitefrontpic.png?w=540&h=245

http://owlpad.net/

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #7

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Oct 4 '13 @ 5:26 PM

@N3xs, yeah I'd probably wait until you get a new phone that way you're not stuck with a ton of unusable accessories... unless they're universal. 

tacsig513.png

N3xs #8

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Oct 7 '13 @ 6:59 AM

@N3xs, yeah I'd probably wait until you get a new phone that way you're not stuck with a ton of unusable accessories... unless they're universal. 

Well, that's a good point, but I thought Qi was the most common standard for mobile devices today... good thing I don't have the cash to spare for yet another wireless charger right now ;) ... I'll wait for the Nexus 5 (or new Nexus 4) to come out and see what it's compatible with