Android Tablets Outsell Ipad

Started by Treknologist ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Treknologist #1

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 8:05 AM

I just saw this article and thought I'd share it here:  http://www.slashgear...arket-01299866/  Not surprising.  :)

• Cory Streater likes this

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Christopher Coleman #2

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 8:25 AM

This isn't a surprise to me at all.  There are a helluva lot more Android tablets to choose from today, and Apple has only very recently embraced the smaller tablet form factor.  They certainly can't match the price point of a Nexus 7 or even a Nexus 10.  I wonder if Apple fans are drifting away, or there is just more saturation of Android than before.

• Cory Streater and Ahowe125 like this

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 10:49 AM

Can't wait for the iSheep to claim this is only because there are more Android tablets and only 2 iPads. Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

Updated by C Sab, Oct 1 '13 @ 10:51 AM.

• Cory Streater likes this

Treknologist #4

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 12:49 PM

Already have seen those type of comments on G+.  "How  can you compare thousands of tablets against one iPad?"  We could see this coming.  Their denial continues. 

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 2:03 PM

I honestly just laugh at them, there's no point using logic and common sense with these people.

Christopher Coleman #6

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 2:38 PM

Explain to me how that stance doesn't make sense. There are countless Android tablets that are cheaper, and more accessible to all economic classes of people. So, as time passes they will gain market share because of the overabundance of choices. It's the most reasonable assessment in my eyes, and I also don't see why it's a negative view to have.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk 4

C Sab #7

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 3:32 PM

Because they act like it's only because of the number of different Android tablets that they outsold iPads. The way I see it, this is a load of crap. Plus I think I read somewhere that they didn't count the cheap China-made models in these numbers.

Christopher Coleman #8

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 3:45 PM

I don't understand how that is a "load of crap" when it makes so much sense. Even removing "cheap China made" tablets from the numbers (which are for sale in stores everywhere across the US so I'm not sure why we would exclude them), there are still a lot more companies producing Android tablets than there are iPads. More visibility, cheaper prices = more sales = reports like this that don't even really say anything useful in the first place.

lpt2569 #9

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 4:43 PM

The iPad is still the best selling single device in the tablet market. Samsung sells more tablets than any other Android tablet mfg. But no single Samsung tablet model sells more than the iPad. Android has the marketshare due to sheer volume, plain and simple.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

• Cory Streater, Christopher Coleman and Ahowe125 like this

Christopher Coleman #10

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Oct 1 '13 @ 4:48 PM

Exactly.

C Sab #11

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 2 '13 @ 5:43 AM

No, Android would still have the same marketplace if it only had one tablet and smartphone as well. The iPad still sells more as a single device but this doesn't downplay Androids achievement.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

Christopher Coleman #12

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Oct 2 '13 @ 7:59 AM

I hate to break it to you man, but this isn't really an achievement for Android.  Something like this would fall into that category, but not the article in the OP.

C Sab #13

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 2 '13 @ 8:20 AM

Depends on how you look at it.

In terms of the link, that's impressive though I suspect the Vita's falling popularity is a big factor.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

Cory Streater #14

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Oct 2 '13 @ 10:40 PM

Isn't the only thing that matters here is that 50% of tablet buyers made a conscious decision to choose an Android flavored tablet over an iOS flavored tablet? Who cares what size or manufacturer they were sold by? If Android sucked, those 50% would have bought an iPad.

On the other hand, one could argue that the only fair comparison would be to match up the Nexus line with the iPad line, since the Nexus is the only device that offers a pure Android experience, just like the iPad offers up a true iOS experience.

For example, I'm sure the Kindle line is included in those numbers, yet when you turn on a Kindle you'd have to be a real Android nerd to know that it even exists. Is it fair to include the Kindle?

Also, can one assume that the Nexus 7 is responsible for this?:

"a large sample of tablets running Animoca apps indicated 7-inch Android-operated tablets far outnumbered their 10-inch siblings."

lpt2569 #15

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Oct 3 '13 @ 2:51 AM

I think the most interesting question is why those 50% who bought Android did so? Was it because it was Android, or because it was the least expensive option and that was the deciding factor. If there was an iPad that sold for less than $200 how many people would pick that over an Android tablet? Not sure we'll ever really know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

C Sab #16

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 3 '13 @ 7:54 AM

It'll be debated for eternity. Besides, we all know sale numbers don't equal quality. Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

Updated by C Sab, Oct 3 '13 @ 7:59 AM.