Photo

Developers settings

Started by Jerrod ,

Best Answer Cyber Warrior , Oct 3 '13 @ 6:22 PM

I've seen a few opinions on setting it at 4 or lower.. meaning only 4 apps will run at the same time.. While this may increase performance, it will kill multitasking possibly making things worse. The developer options are more for testing purposes.. I'd say if you really want, play around with different settings and see how you like it but the only thing I've ever seen a developer say to touch under those options would be the animation speeds.. setting them to 0 or .5x to make the device feel quicker. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it.

Also I believe the background process setting resets itself after a reboot.. so keep that in mind. Go to the full post

• Sign In To Reply:  

Jerrod #1

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Oct 3 '13 @ 5:59 PM

On my Nexus 7 and I guess my Galaxy Nexus there is a developers configuration section in the setting menu.  I've looked at some of them, most I am not interested in although I have modified some of the animation  and GPU options.

One option I am not clear about is the one that lets you set the number of background processes.  I assume this means the number of other processes or activities that can run in the background while you are in the foreground app at the same time.   I am leaving mine set to the default, but what is the default, how does it work, and do you gain or lose anything by mucking around with this setting?

Curious about this because there have been a few times where the phone/tablet response has slowed for a bit, then I discover some notification was on it's way in.  I would rather have continued with what I was doing and have the notification show up when I had completed what I was doing or when device was idle. 

Updated by Jerrod, Oct 3 '13 @ 6:06 PM.

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Oct 3 '13 @ 6:22 PM   Best Answer

I've seen a few opinions on setting it at 4 or lower.. meaning only 4 apps will run at the same time.. While this may increase performance, it will kill multitasking possibly making things worse. The developer options are more for testing purposes.. I'd say if you really want, play around with different settings and see how you like it but the only thing I've ever seen a developer say to touch under those options would be the animation speeds.. setting them to 0 or .5x to make the device feel quicker. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it.

Also I believe the background process setting resets itself after a reboot.. so keep that in mind.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :