Photo

[Guide] Rooting a Verizon Galaxy S4 (Build VRUAMDK)

Started by Cory Streater ,
Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUAMDK How to Root

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cory Streater #1

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Oct 8 '13 @ 6:45 PM

Overview:

The following procedure will walk you through the process of rooting a Verizon Galaxy S4, using a root exploit developed by djrbliss (Dan Rosenberg) and a script I've written to streamline the process.

You will use a Windows only (Mac users read post #2) application, called ODIN, to flash a pre-release kernel for the Verizon Galaxy S4. You will then run a script capable of exploiting the pre-release kernel in order to gain root access. Once you've successfully rooted, you will reflash the official kernel. Last, but not least, the script will give you the option of installing a custom recovery by Team Win Recovery Project.

The entire process (excluding download time) takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Important:

about build number 2.jpg
Build I545VRUAMDK Required

There are two build numbers associated with the Verizon version of the Galaxy S4: build I545VRUAME7 & build I545VRUAMDK.
This procedure is applicable to build I545VRUAMDK.

The script will check your build number prior to flashing. If it doesn't meet this requirement, it will let you know and then exit.

To view the build number:
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Tap the More tab.
  3. Tap About phone.

Download:

Download the following zip & extract its contents to your desktop:

Attached File  TAC VZW GS4 I545VRUAMDK Root Tool Pack.zip   51.48MB   146 downloads

The zip contains five separate folders, each of which will be used throughout the procedure that follows.

1. Samsung Drivers – necessary for Windows to communicate with the phone.
  2. ODIN – a Windows based application used to flash the ROM.
  3. Pre Release Kernel – contains a tar file that will flash an exploitable kernel.
  4. Root Tools – contains a script that will run the root exploit, install SuperSU, and (optionally) TWRP recovery.
  5. Release Kernel – contains the release kernel.

G4 Root Pack.jpg

Phone Prep:

Follow the steps below to prepare your phone for flashing:

1. Charge it.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable.
  3. Open the app drawer.
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. Scroll to the bottom and tap Developer Options.
  6. Toggle the on/off button (upper right corner) to the on position.
  7. Enable USB debugging.
  8. Turn the phone over and remove the battery.
  9. Reinsert the battery.
  10. Simultaneously press and hold the following 3 buttons:
    • Home button
    • Volume down
    • Power
  11. Release when you see the “Warning!!” message regarding the installation of a custom OS.
  12. Press the Volume Up button to continue.
    The screen will display a green Android robot with the words “Downloading… Do not turn off target!!” underneath.
  13. Plug the phone into your computer.

Flash The Pre Release Kernel:

The following steps have been tested and confirmed on a fresh install of Windows. If you're having connectivity issues, between the phone and computer, check for conflicting drivers and/or antivirus, spyware, firewall, and tethering applications.

1. Install the Samsung drivers located inside of the Samsung Drivers folder. You can skip this step if you've already installed them in the past.
  2. Open the ODIN folder and double-click the ODIN executable.
    You should see a blue bar under ID:COM — indicating a connection has been made between your phone and ODIN.
  3. Enable the checkbox next to the PDA button.
  4. Click the PDA button.
  5. Navigate to the Pre Release Kernel folder and double click the tar file (kernel).
    ODIN will load the kernel and verify its MD5 hash. The kernel file name will display to the right of the PDA button once it’s ready.
  6. Click the Start button.
    ODIN will flash the kernel and reboot the phone — a process that should take less than two minutes.

Run The Root Tool:

1. Once the phone has booted and has reconnected to your desktop, open the Root Tools folder and double click Root It!
  2. A Windows Command window will open. Follow the prompts that guide you through the process of rooting.
  3. Choose Yes when prompted to install a custom recovery.

Return Phone To Download Mode:

1. Disconnect the USB cable.
  2. Turn the phone over and remove the battery.
  3. Reinsert the battery.
  4. Simultaneously press and hold the following 3 buttons:
    • Power
    • Volume down
    • Home button
  5. Release when you see the “Warning!!” message regarding the installation of a custom OS.
  6. Press the Volume Up button to continue.
    The screen will display a green Android robot with the words “Downloading… Do not turn off target!!” underneath.
  7. Plug the phone into your computer.

Flash The Stock Kernel:

1. Open the ODIN folder and double-click the ODIN executable.
    You should see a blue bar under ID:COM — indicating a connection has been made between your phone and ODIN.
  2. Enable the checkbox next to the PDA button.
  3. Click the PDA button.
  4. Navigate to the Release Kernel folder and double click the tar file (kernel).
    ODIN will load the kernel and verify its MD5 hash. The kernel file name will display to the right of the PDA button when it’s finished.
  5. Click the Start button.
    ODIN will flash the kernel and reboot the phone — a process that should take less than two minutes.

Credits:

• Motochopper: Android root exploit by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
  • SuperSU: Chainfire chainfire.eu
  • BusyBox: Stephen (STERICSON) busybox.net/products.html
  • TWRP: Team Win Recovery Project teamwin.in
  • Scripting: Cory Streater forums.theandroidchannel.com

Related Articles & Tutorials:

Questions? Sign in and post them below.

Follow Cory Streater on Google Plus

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Oct 9 '13 @ 12:38 PM

Mac users:

• There is no Mac version of ODIN.
  • If you Google search "Mac ODIN alternative" — you will likely come across an open source application called Heimdall. I spent hours trying to get Heimdall to work, and ran into one road block after another.
  • A Windows virtual machine running inside of Parallels will not work. Windows will not detect your phone.
  • Some people spin up Windows on a Mac using an application called Bootcamp. I’m told this works as well, but I haven't personally tried it.
  • Best option: a Windows virtual machine running inside of VMWare Fusion will work just fine. This is the option I went with. There’s a 30-day free trial if cost is a concern. It's also available on Amazon for $43.00 

• dmmarck likes this