• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Oct 9 '13 @ 7:39 AM

Overview:

This is a simple procedure that will allow you to easily root your Verizon Galaxy S4 or AT&T Galaxy S4 without having to wipe your device or flash a full pre-rooted factory image. This method uses a root exploit developed by the people over at xda... the root process involves formatting your external microSD card to exFat and then entering a few simple commands through the app Terminal Emulator on your phone.

Important

Verizon Customers: Build I545VRUAME7 Only!

There are two build numbers associated with the Verizon version of the Galaxy S4: Build I545VRUAMDK & Build I545VRUAME7 .
This procedure is applicable to build I545VRUAME7.

AT&T Customers: Build I337UCUAMF3 Only!
There are two build numbers associated with the AT&T version of the Galaxy S4: Build I337UCUAMDL & Build I337UCUAMF3 .
This procedure is applicable to build I337UCUAMF3.

att-vzw-gs4.png

To view the build number:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Tap the More tab.
  3. Tap About phone.

Download the required files

• Download/Install the Samsung Official USB Drivers (if you don't have them) - Link
  • Download/Install the Android Terminal Emulator app on your device - Link
  • Verizon Only - Download and extract the Root Exploit package on your computer - Link
  • AT&T Only - Download and extract the Root Exploit package on your computer - Link

Phone prep

First you will need to format the external microSD card:

• Connect your phone to your computer and right click on the devices drive.. (or if you have an SD card reader, you can pull the microSD card from your phone and connect to the computer that way.)
  • After right clicking you will want to choose the format option: exFAT (WARNING - this will erase the contents of your sd card, so make sure you back up anything that you need first.)

*** If your microSD card is not formatted as exFAT you will see "permission denied" errors when running the exploit ***

Next you will move the files from the Root Exploit package onto your phones microSD card:

• Download and place the Root Package archive on your Desktop.
  • Extract files from the archive over to your Desktop.
  • Plug in your device to your computer using the USB cable... (or insert your microSD into your computers card reader.)
  • Copy all the files you extracted from the Root Package archive over to the root of your SD card. (nowhere else)
  • Once all the files have been copied, disconnect your device from your computer... (or insert your microSD card back into the phone)

Rooting

• Open the Terminal Emulator app you downloaded earlier.
  • Type the following commands one after another into the app.. hitting enter after each line: (capital letters are important)
cd /mnt/extSdCard
./pwn
./script.sh

Note: - After running the second command you should have seen your $ change to a # meaning you have root access

- The third command is required to make this root access permanent

gs4exploit.png

• After all 3 commands are done, close the Terminal app and check if SuperSU has any update in the Play Store
  • Open SuperSU app and let the binary update itself to the latest (if any updates are available)
  • Once complete, just open a root application and verify that is able to access root properly
  • Reboot your device one time and confirm you still have root access
  • If all is well you should now be fully rooted :)

To verify successful root, install Root Checker app from the market:

root-check1.png

*** Make sure to avoid all future OTA's to prevent this root method from being patched! ***

credit: xda

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :