Photo

Will the Nexus 5 be a critical device for Android's future?

Started by dmmarck ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Oct 10 '13 @ 6:40 AM

So in a week or so (or a few weeks, depending on rumors) the new Nexus phone should debut, pre-orders should begin, and Google will unveil 4.4 to the masses.  A lot of us, me included, look forward to a Nexus device release because of what it represents--change, newness, and an opportunity to look inside the machine that is Googledom.

But ever since the One, S4, Moto X, and Z1, I've had a weird, nagging feeling that I just could not shake:  is stock Android and the Nexus program "tapped" out?

Think about it.  HOLOYOLO is neat.  I love the design language.  But aside from a massive UI change (which there appears to be none on the horizon), what will 4.4 bring?  A bit more butter?  Maybe a few more settings?  More conformity?  What, exactly, will be "new," "awesome," or "groundbreaking"?

Maybe I'm just a wee bit disenfranchised with Android's current offerings.  Maybe I should not expect tectonic plate shifting with Android/Nexus release.  But at this point, it feels like 4.3 and 4.4 are akin to Apple's iterative iOS updates (the latest, iOS7, notwithstanding).  At this point, what does a new Nexus phone represent other than a spec update?  Maybe a carrier-less utopian phone for the masses?  That's my current fear, at least--that it is now a known quantity and any sort of weird, "Nexiian aura" is gone.  Whether or not my fear becomes reality remains to be seen. 

With that being said, I'd be a liar to say that the very device I blasted months ago tempts me as a fairly attractive option.  And it has for quite a while.  For the longest time I tried to figure out why it tempted me, and weirdly (and somewhat coincidentally), it took a small glance at my old Galaxy Nexus to figure it out.

It innovates.

Moto X.png

Hopefully the Nexus 5 will too.

• lpt2569 and Ahowe125 like this

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

lpt2569 #2

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Oct 10 '13 @ 6:47 AM

But ever since the One, S4, Moto X, and Z1, I've had a weird, nagging feeling that I just could not shake:  is stock Android and the Nexus program "tapped" out?

Yes.

• dmmarck likes this

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Oct 10 '13 @ 7:54 AM

They'd have to come up with some extremely cool and useful new features. We already have a good idea of the specs and the design. What's left?

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4

Christopher Coleman #4

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Oct 10 '13 @ 8:08 AM

Iterative updates are not a bad thing.  You can't expect mind-blowing features and innovation every year, especially not from the Nexus program.  If that was the case, Google would be churning out Samsung-style craziness inside stock Android, and nobody wants that.  Stock Android needs to be simple among a world of mostly over-complicated manufacturer skins and feature sets.

This is a stale year for mobile tech, overall.  We saw some AWESOME devices released but have hit a wall with the spec wars (even the trolls who do nothing but clamor for more speed recognize this.)  However, when the spec race is over, OEMs need to turn to new tech to keep things fresh.  Next year, we'll see more fingerprint readers, and more innovations regarding camera performance (not just more MP), curved displays / batteries, etc...that will bring some newness to the mobile tech world.

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 10 '13 @ 10:45 AM

I sincerely hope the MP wars end soon. Reminds me of the bit-wars from the old game console generations. Equally pointless.

But I agree, these days people complain if each new device doesn't completely revolutionize mobile technology, the S4 improved on the S3 (one of the most praised devices of all time, for good reason) in every way yet people focus onvhow similar it is. Doesn't stop people like me from getting it.

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Oct 10 '13 @ 11:30 AM

I sincerely hope the MP wars end soon. Reminds me of the bit-wars from the old game console generations. Equally pointless.

But I agree, these days people complain if each new device doesn't completely revolutionize mobile technology, the S4 improved on the S3 (one of the most praised devices of all time, for good reason) in every way yet people focus onvhow similar it is. Doesn't stop people like me from getting it.

While I agree (in part), the Nexus series is used to debut something new (usually a new version of Android).  So there's more excitement and expectation behind something like that than there might be for an S4.

tacsig513.png

C Sab #7

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 10 '13 @ 11:40 AM

While I agree (in part), the Nexus series is used to debut something new (usually a new version of Android).  So there's more excitement and expectation behind something like that than there might be for an S4.

True, but the S4 is probably the best example I can give to support the fact (and I think we can all agree on this) that the non-casual consumers of mobile devices have gotten a bit spoiled with the latest devices over the last 2 or so years and as such their expectations have exploded and as a result they expect each new device to be as big of an improvement over their predecessors as they were compared to their own predecessors.

As a result, when a device (again the S4) comes out and doesn't meet the expectations people have had for this device then they'll consider it a disappointment while ignoring the improvements that have been made. I'm not saying it doesn't justify people saying it's not enough for them to upgrade to that device, that's for them to decide but people should be happy with what we have and and with what we get in the future because we take for granted stuff we'd hate to lose...until we lose it of course.

The Nexus 5 is mainly the showcase device for the new Android KitKat upgrade, and while we don't know what improvements it'll bring over the Nexus 4 I think we should be happy with the ones we get because the Nexus 4 was a great phone and this one will most likely(hopefully) be better in every way and that should be enough...for now.

Jerrod #8

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Oct 16 '13 @ 1:54 PM

This question may belong somewhere else in this forum but here it is:

I have been reading the rumors and at least twice people have written stating that Google typically updates nexus devices for two years.

I thought Google updated the device as long as it was capable of running the software. If it's just two years how is this any better than Verizon?

dmmarck #9

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Oct 16 '13 @ 2:02 PM

This question may belong somewhere else in this forum but here it is:

I have been reading the rumors and at least twice people have written stating that Google typically updates nexus devices for two years.

I thought Google updated the device as long as it was capable of running the software. If it's just two years how is this any better than Verizon?

think the correct cycle is either 2 or 3 major updates.  I'll have to check; at one point I knew it off the top of my head.

The easy way to predict it is this:  did the Nexus S get 4.3?  If not, then I presume the GN won't get 4.4  So it would have had 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3.  So maybe it's 4 major releases?

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #10

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Oct 16 '13 @ 6:40 PM

Thanks. Please check because I don't consider point releases major. Major would be 4 to 5, 5 to 6. As long as the hardware can run it,what's the problem?

Chetan Takyar #11

Chetan Takyar
  • 4 posts

Posted Oct 16 '13 @ 10:30 PM

Not really. Where Google fails the other OEM's will surely do amazing work. However I still prefer Stock over any overlays/skins.

C Sab #12

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 17 '13 @ 8:08 AM

The Nexus 5 is the only phone left that might keep me from upgrading to the S4. We shall see what this phones brings to the table.