PRE PAID PLANS

Started by Jerrod ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Jerrod #1

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Oct 23 '13 @ 7:27 AM

When the Nexus 5 is released I plan to move from Verizon to AT&T. Does anyone know about or have experience with their pre-paid plans?

N3xs #2

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Oct 23 '13 @ 8:51 AM

I have no experience but I will be moving myself to T-Mobile from Verizon once I get my Nexus 5 and my VZW contract is over so I would be interested in seeing some feedback on the subject as well ...

What I know is that personally, going from a Family plan on VZW to a family plan on T-Mo I'll be saving $42 a month and I'll have unlimited everything plus the Jump insurance, plus no contract and an unlocked badass phone so I'm pretty stoked about that! 

Verizon is the best nationwide carrier but I don;t live nationwide myself and Ft Lauderdale/Miami has good T-mo HSPA+ coverage plus a decent LTE coverage now as well ... 

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Oct 23 '13 @ 9:52 AM

AT&T offers a $60/month prepaid plan with 2GB of data and $10 for every GB over your limit you use.  Unlimited text and voice.

T-Mo (if available in your area) is $70 unlimited talk text AND data.  A much better deal if you have service available.

If AT&T is the only option, you might consider Straight Talk as well.  $45 a month "unlimited" everything but they throttle you after 2.5GB.

Jerrod #4

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Oct 23 '13 @ 12:59 PM

AT&T offers a $60/month prepaid plan with 2GB of data and $10 for every GB over your limit you use.  Unlimited text and voice.

T-Mo (if available in your area) is $70 unlimited talk text AND data.  A much better deal if you have service available.

If AT&T is the only option, you might consider Straight Talk as well.  $45 a month "unlimited" everything but they throttle you after 2.5GB.

So with prepaid I walk in and hand over the money to cover the next month. Can these payments be automatic or do I have to show up at the store each month? Unlimited talk and text is included so why would one get a two year contract? Will you get the same LTE network and coverage?

Have heard a few people complain about no servce with tmobile so I am not sure about them in my neighborhood

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Oct 23 '13 @ 8:42 PM

Yes, that's how prepaid works.  Pay for a month, then use that month.  I'm not sure if AT&T will do automatic payments but I would be surprised if they didn't.  It's a pretty standard feature nowadays.

People sign contracts to get phones at a low to non-existent upfront cost.

If you go through AT&T directly, you should have the same entire network and coverage area.  Straight Talk will not roam as far as I know.

Jerrod #6

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Oct 24 '13 @ 12:32 PM

Went to the go site. sounds great but states that there is limited 4g service in select areas. Tried to display coverage map,but it hangs every time and never displays.

I know at&t also has share plans so perhaps I get a larger nexus tablet with LTE and use that too. Not sure about that but the option is there.

Ahowe125 #7

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Oct 25 '13 @ 8:59 AM

I've been thinking about this exact thing. In my area T mobile has very weak coverage outside the city and AT&T is not much better.

Verizon just works and has gotten even better in my area. I go Hunting in the same area every year, and in 5 years ago I got no service. Over the past few years not only have I gotten service, but it went from spotty 3g service 2 years ago to pretty decent 4g coverage this year. That alone makes it very difficult to leave them just because I want a Nexus 5. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Jerrod #8

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Oct 25 '13 @ 4:39 PM

I guess I could try to Go plan since it is prepaid and you don't pay any monthly phone subsidy and then if the coverage or service is lousy I can just switch to standard or something else. 60 a month for unlimited and 2gb of data Is worth a try especially since the most LTE data I have ever used in one month was 300mg while on vacation.

Lee Bo #9

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Oct 26 '13 @ 5:37 AM

All the pre-paid plans I have read about throttle your data after 2 gigs.  It's still classified as unlimited, but severely throttled.  These are really great plans if all you do is email, text and surf the web.  However, if you play Ingress, stream movies of music, etc., you will notice a slowdown after your monthly initial 2 gigs.

I am personally looking at moving to T-Mobile's $70 unlimited plan, no contract, upgrade your phone anytime.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Jerrod #10

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Oct 26 '13 @ 1:28 PM

I think with AT&T GO after 2GB you can purchase additional GB for $10 per GB so i would hope that they would not throttle. Think I will visit the store next week and hear the line they tell me.

N3xs #11

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Oct 28 '13 @ 11:03 AM

The $70 everything unlimited plan from T-mo is the best option IMHO ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it is truly unlimited and it does not throttle you.

Also, if you can find someone you trust, or a significant other or a family member who wants to get in on a T-Mo Family plan with you, you can save a bit of money every month.

Individual : $70

2 people: $120 ($60 each)

3 people: $150 ($50 each)

4 people: $180 ($45 each)

5 people $210 ($42 each) 

You have to remember that there is no subsidy and the initial $70/mo plan does not include the monthly cost of your phone nor the insurance you might want to add...

As for me, I'm going to T-Mo with 3 other people when my VZW contract ends; I will walk in with my Nexus 5 (hopefully) and end up paying about $60/mo with JUMP insurance and all taxes included ... 

• Lee Bo likes this

N3xs #12

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Oct 29 '13 @ 7:00 AM

The $70 everything unlimited plan from T-mo is the best option IMHO ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but it is truly unlimited and it does not throttle you.

Also, if you can find someone you trust, or a significant other or a family member who wants to get in on a T-Mo Family plan with you, you can save a bit of money every month.

Individual : $70

2 people: $120 ($60 each)

3 people: $150 ($50 each)

4 people: $180 ($45 each)

5 people $210 ($42 each) 

You have to remember that there is no subsidy and the initial $70/mo plan does not include the monthly cost of your phone nor the insurance you might want to add...

As for me, I'm going to T-Mo with 3 other people when my VZW contract ends; I will walk in with my Nexus 5 (hopefully) and end up paying about $60/mo with JUMP insurance and all taxes included ... 

I should add that each individual within the Family plan has the choice between 500MB, 2.5GB, and unlimited.

I find most people are fine with 2.5GB of data monthly and T-Mo doesn't charge you for overages they just slow you down until the next billing cycle.

With those different Data options you can save $10-$20 per line.

I hope that I haven't missed some major negative factor but this is pretty much what I get out of T-Mo's site; seems like a pretty good deal if you have good T-Mo coverage in your area that is ... I'm one of the lucky ones with good HSPA+ and LTE coverage in my area

Jerrod #13

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Oct 30 '13 @ 10:53 AM

Looked at the AT&T go site again. There is s page to manage your account, add more funds and to buy a sim card online. You can select a quantity but I don't see any place to select the type of Sim card.

What type of sim will the N5 take?

Treknologist #14

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Oct 30 '13 @ 7:27 PM

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile Pre Paid earlier this year when I got the Nexus 4.  I'm in Miami and I have good coverage with T-Mobile here, so I have not had any real problems.  I pay $70 a month with everything unlimted and I'm quite happy. 

• Lee Bo, N3xs and Ahowe125 like this

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

N3xs #15

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Oct 31 '13 @ 4:02 AM

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile Pre Paid earlier this year when I got the Nexus 4. I'm in Miami and I have good coverage with T-Mobile here, so I have not had any real problems. I pay $70 a month with everything unlimted and I'm quite happy.

I'm curious, what kind of speeds do you get? HSPA+? LTE?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Treknologist #16

Treknologist
  • 128 posts

Posted Oct 31 '13 @ 4:48 AM

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile Pre Paid earlier this year when I got the Nexus 4. I'm in Miami and I have good coverage with T-Mobile here, so I have not had any real problems. I pay $70 a month with everything unlimted and I'm quite happy.

HSPA+  Remember the N4 doesn't have an active LTE antenna since that option was turned off with one of the updates.  Once I get the N5 I expect to have LTE.  :)  As for actual speeds, I'm getting about 14 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload. 

• N3xs likes this

N3xs #17

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts

Posted Oct 31 '13 @ 4:51 AM

HSPA+ Remember the N4 doesn't have an active LTE antenna since that option was turned off with one of the updates. Once I get the N5 I expect to have LTE. :) As for actual speeds, I'm getting about 14 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.

right I forgot about that but 14 down is about what I get in Ft Lauderdale downtown on VZW LTE so that's not bad at all! Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Treknologist #18

Treknologist
  • 128 posts

Posted Oct 31 '13 @ 4:54 AM

Yes, that's what I got on my Thunderbolt when I was on Verizon, so I didn't really see a difference.  I'm expecting to notice the difference with the N5 since it has a new LTE radio. 

• N3xs likes this

Jerrod #19

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 7:22 PM

So my N5 arrived Nov 5 so I went to the AT&T store to sign up for a pre paid plan. I choose the Go phone plan unlimited talk, text and 2G of data. So far so good. I had LTE as soon as the SIM was inserted and I have it in very room in my house(unlike with VZ). Went to get my hair cut and in the salon data was on H..I guess this was HSPA but even then the data speed was excellent. Today went to another part of the city where I usually have no LTE, but today I had it.

Can prepay monthly via credit card over the web,or at the kiosk in the AT&T store, and a few other places.

So far, good
  • Ahowe125 likes this

Jerrod #20

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 8 '13 @ 11:24 AM

True test will come when I am out of the area.Two weeks from now I will be in Wilmington De. Last time there about 2 months ago I had LTE in the city but outside of it I was on 3g. Person I was with was using iPhone 3 on AT&T 3g and his was surfing cnn faster than mine was. I was slightly pissed.

Cory Streater #21

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 6:40 AM

I have all 3 services now. The main difference that I am seeing is that Verizon's LTE coverage is more consistent. I can drive straight from Seattle to Olympia and have LTE all along the way. Not so much with T-Mobile nor AT&T. At about 5MB, in either direction, it doesn't matter much. You're feeding the phone the most it needs. How much bandwidth does an HD movie consume per second?

They are starting to tax prepaid plans in my state, which makes them less impressive.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

Christopher Coleman #22

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 8:37 AM

Netflix recommends 5mb/s for HD streaming

Ahowe125 #23

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 11:42 AM

I have all 3 services now. The main difference that I am seeing is that Verizon's LTE coverage is more consistent. I can drive straight from Seattle to Olympia and have LTE all along the way. Not so much with T-Mobile nor AT&T. At about 5MB, in either direction, it doesn't matter much. You're feeding the phone the most it needs. How much bandwidth does an HD movie consume per second?

They are starting to tax prepaid plans in my state, which makes them less impressive.

That is the type of thing that pushed me to upgrade to the One on Verizon instead of waiting for the N5 to come out and leave Verizon. I envy you guys that live in areas that have good AT&T and T-Mobile coverage. Verizon is king in my area. 

• Cory Streater likes this
| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Lee Bo #24

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 4:21 PM

Where I live Tmobile has the exact same coverage at VZW.  I'm not under contract but do have a grandfathered unlimited plan so I can leave whenever I want.  I guess what I'm afraid of is leaving VZW for Tmobile, and Tmobile, for whatever reason, not working out to my liking, and I won't be able to go back to VZW with unlimited data.

• Cory Streater likes this

Cory Streater #25

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 6:09 PM

Where I live Tmobile has the exact same coverage at VZW. I'm not under contract but do have a grandfathered unlimited plan so I can leave whenever I want. I guess what I'm afraid of is leaving VZW for Tmobile, and Tmobile, for whatever reason, not working out to my liking, and I won't be able to go back to VZW with unlimited data.

Ditto. I used 8GB of data last month, all because I took a few courses on Lynda.com. Burning through data doesn't take much these days.

When it comes down to it, I get tired of phones faster than I get tired of solid and reliable coverage.

Lee Bo #26

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 6:23 PM

Where I live Tmobile has the exact same coverage at VZW. I'm not under contract but do have a grandfathered unlimited plan so I can leave whenever I want. I guess what I'm afraid of is leaving VZW for Tmobile, and Tmobile, for whatever reason, not working out to my liking, and I won't be able to go back to VZW with unlimited data.

Ditto. I used 8GB of data last month, all because I took a few courses on Lynda.com. Burning through data doesn't take much these days.

When it comes down to it, I get tired of phones faster than I get tired of solid and reliable coverage.

Only 8 gigs? I ended last month's billing cycle with 927 gigs. I was shooting for that 1 tb mark but missed it.

sent from my Galaxy Note II

Cory Streater #27

Cory Streater
  • 1533 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 6:28 PM

Seriously?! I guess I need not panic that I'm being watched like a hawk by Team Verizon for my measily data usage.

Christopher Coleman #28

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 9:24 PM

927 gigs

wut?

Lee Bo #29

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts

Posted Nov 10 '13 @ 5:21 AM

Ok, I guess that needs a bit of explanation.

<takes a deep breath>

As the saying goes, "one person ruins it for everyone".  Thanks to a person in my office who loves to stream music, I had to create a policy that absolutely no streaming of any kind was allowed on our network, and I also had to add a web filter to our firewall to block some sites.  Since I'm a huge music lover, I have my phone, via Tune In, connected to Square Groove Radio (www.squaregrooveradio.com, I know....couldn't resist the plug) pretty much 24/7.  SGR is a FREE internet radio station I came across a few years ago and I became good friends with the owner, so I also update the playlist at will from my phone.  There is a nice back story to SGR that I'll go into on a later post.

I'm also involved in development and testing of some custom Android apps that our company uses for productivity.  Some of this testing requires constant VPN connections to our network until the end of said test is complete.  We also use Log Me In for remote connections to our servers for monitoring and troubleshooting and the Android app has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion.

Netflix movies at least a few times a week.

Linux has been a large part of my life for a long time and anytime a new version of a particular flavor comes out, I'll usually download the ISO to my phone and then copy it over. I also pretty much play Ingress anytime I'm in a car, either as a driver or passenger.

Now I normally don't to that much data every month.  My normal monthly data usage hovers around 20-30 gigs.  Last month was the end of the fiscal year so we had a lot to do before closing the books on the year.

As for Cory's comment above, yes I will get a phone call from Verizon asking me about my data usage.  Anytime I hit 20-ish gigs or more, I always get a call and they always threaten to put me on a tiered data plan.  I always tell them that, according to my lawyer, that would be a breach of contract, and while the case would be tied up in litigation, I'd just port my number over the Tmobile and keep on keeping on.

Yes, a lot of this cold be done over wifi, but I have Charter <don't get me started on that> and sometimes my 4G connection is a lot faster.  :-)

<gasps for air now>

Christopher Coleman #30

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 10 '13 @ 8:29 AM

Well, thanks for that, lol.  Makes sense now.  I don't know what it's like to have a reliable mobile connection so I couldn't dream of using over a couple gigs right now, which I guess is a good thing for when I am finally able to make the switch so I don't go nuts with overages.