Photo

What should I buy?

Started by dmmarck ,

Poll: Choices, choices, choices. (9 member(s) have cast votes)

What--if anything--should I buy next?

1. Keep the HTC One (Converted to Google Play Edition) (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Black Nexus 5 (6 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. White Nexus 5 (1 votes [11.11%])

4. Moto X (16gb/MotoMaker) (1 votes [11.11%])

Vote Please Login To Vote:

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Oct 28 '13 @ 3:12 PM

Ok, people.  I am very conflicted about what to do, so I need some help.  I will say absolutely nothing to influence the vote--I just want to see how it shakes out and why you would choice A or B or whatever, knowing what I like, what you like, whatever.  

So, if you can, please vote and explain why I should choose what you selected  :).

BTW--I have not and will not be voting until "the time comes."  

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Oct 28 '13 @ 3:21 PM

I will go with the 5th option: wait. At least until the Nexus 5 is announced, because who knows? It might not be as appealing to you specifically as you might think. Though if I had to give an answer I would eliminate the One immediately cause to me I'm not a fan of the device. Not that there's anything wrong with it of course. The Moto X, while a good choice since it got dropped 100 bucks in price plus it runs like a high-end phone despite the specs will probably get outdated even quicker because of those specs. It's not very "future-proof" as they call it.

So if I HAD to pick a phone, I say get the Nexus 5, if only because it's an even better Nexus 4 and that phone was an unexpected gem.

Updated by C Sab, Oct 28 '13 @ 3:22 PM.

• N3xs likes this

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Oct 28 '13 @ 3:23 PM

I will go with the 5th option: wait. At least until the Nexus 5 is announced, because who knows? It might not be as appealing to you specifically as you might think. Though if I had to give an answer I would eliminate the One immediately cause to me I'm not a fan of the device. Not that there's anything wrong with it of course. The Moto X, while a good choice since it got dropped 100 bucks in price plus it runs like a high-end phone despite the specs will probably get outdated even quicker because of those specs. It's not very "future-proof" as they call it.

So if I HAD to pick a phone, I say get the Nexus 5, if only because it's an even better Nexus 4 and that phone was an unexpected gem.

Hmm.  So is wait technically the first option?

Thank you.  Great points all around.

tacsig513.png

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 28 '13 @ 3:24 PM

Yes, the way I see it is you should definitely wait before you decide but for the sake of the poll I choose the Nexus 5. In black because I'm not a fan of white phones for some reason.

dmmarck #5

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Oct 28 '13 @ 3:29 PM

Yes, the way I see it is you should definitely wait before you decide but for the sake of the poll I choose the Nexus 5. In black because I'm not a fan of white phones for some reason.

Interesting....

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #6

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Oct 28 '13 @ 3:30 PM

Black Nexus 5...

Coming from the One, you'll probably hate the screen and look/feel of the Moto X.. Compared to the Nexus, the Moto X is its weaker sibling.

The HTC One I'm guessing you're bored of, you seem to only like it as a GE version. You're a hacker and the One isn't cutting it for you.

I'm assuming you don't like the two tone of the white Nexus 5 since you called it a zebra earlier ;)

So the question is, should you keep your GE One or get a black Nexus 5. I say go for the Black Nexus 5..I think you would be happier with it, but heck what do I know lol. If for some miraculous reason Verizon gets it.. As much as I like the GS4, I might consider it myself. The one thing it's missing is a diesel battery life but 2300mAh ain't so bad.. everything else is a beast on it.
  • dmmarck likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

lpt2569 #7

lpt2569
  • 185 posts
  • Device: GNote2 & N7 Flo

Posted Oct 28 '13 @ 5:46 PM

I voted Black Nexus 5.  If the leaks are correct, the "white" Nexus 5 looks as lame as the "white" Nexus 4.

However, if the Nexus 5 doesn't have the "always listening" awareness features of the current Moto devices, I say get the Moto X.  Seems like a lot of folks absolutely love what that phone offers.

• dmmarck likes this

N3xs #8

N3xs
  • Towel Porter
  • 211 posts
  • Device: Toro, Flo, Grouper, Manta

Posted Oct 29 '13 @ 7:21 AM

I chose the black Nexus 5.

One is old already (7 months is ancient right? lol) 

Moto X is a good contender but I think that being who you are you'll feel a lot more comfortable with a bit more CPU power and muscle like the S800, regardless of the proven and praised prowess of the X... you did get a Mustang and not a BMW 3 series, just saying :P 

And finally the white Nexus 5, which I think is tricky because I personally like the two tone all black front and white back look; and I say it's tricky because it would depend on what material is used for the white color which appears to be matte, which in turn makes it better looking and more prone to become more yellowish than white or at the very best off-white...

So, the black Nexus 5 seems like the best option not to mention the cheapest as well ;) 

Jerrod #9

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Oct 30 '13 @ 9:43 AM

I voted then deleted my vote because it reflected what I want. A nexus 5. Then I see you have GPE HTC one.I would keep this phone because the specs are close to the nexus 5,then wait until 2014 and buy the next nexus
  • dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #10

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Oct 31 '13 @ 11:28 AM

I have decided.

https://www.youtube....h?v=F_sIYWLvXYk

nexus-5-google-play_610x579.png

• lpt2569 and Ahowe125 like this

tacsig513.png

C Sab #11

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Oct 31 '13 @ 11:35 AM

Hell yeah.
  • dmmarck likes this

dmmarck #12

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Oct 31 '13 @ 12:30 PM

WATCH THE VIDEO/SONG PEOPLE

tacsig513.png

lpt2569 #13

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Nov 2 '13 @ 1:59 PM

Did yours ship yet?

dmmarck #14

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 2 '13 @ 2:01 PM

Did yours ship yet?

Yes. Here Monday.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• lpt2569 likes this

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #15

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 8:21 AM

@dmmarck, Sad to see your leaving the HTC party for the Nexus. I'm always a day late and a dollar short, lol. But honestly I'm super happy I picked mine up. It will most likely be the last unlock-able phone Verizon sees for a long time, if ever again. With S-Off and the ability to flash AOSP or even GPE, this phone is a beast. Pretty sure my Razr was not going to see the 4.4 update, lol. 

Have fun with that Nexus, I'm excited to see what you all think about them and if it is going to live up to all the hype. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

dmmarck #16

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 10:06 AM

@dmmarck, Sad to see your leaving the HTC party for the Nexus. I'm always a day late and a dollar short, lol. But honestly I'm super happy I picked mine up. It will most likely be the last unlock-able phone Verizon sees for a long time, if ever again. With S-Off and the ability to flash AOSP or even GPE, this phone is a beast. Pretty sure my Razr was not going to see the 4.4 update, lol. 

Have fun with that Nexus, I'm excited to see what you all think about them and if it is going to live up to all the hype. 

@Ahowe125, the One's a great phone, but I certainly foresaw this inevitability (ask @creccaj).  

Glad to see you were able to get SOFF; AT&T had a radio OTA months ago that sealed ours, so I had to spend hours trying to revert.  Well worth it.

I assume you can't do a full GPE conversion?  What does the GPE port have, just a ROM?  I highly suggest trying to get the new HBOOT.  

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #17

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 10:43 AM

@Ahowe125, the One's a great phone, but I certainly foresaw this inevitability (ask @creccaj).  

Glad to see you were able to get SOFF; AT&T had a radio OTA months ago that sealed ours, so I had to spend hours trying to revert.  Well worth it.

I assume you can't do a full GPE conversion?  What does the GPE port have, just a ROM?  I highly suggest trying to get the new HBOOT.  

It would seem all the different stock versions are on the S-Off list. So Verizon has not patched it yet. 

Its not a full GPE, but a Port built on top of sense framework. Its really kinda a cross between Sense, GPE and AOSP. Pretty close to a pure google experience. It still has Beats Audio and a few other things from the stock ROM. 

Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port

I did end up flashing a new custom HBoot from This Thread on XDA - Not sure exactly what I got flashing it, but it was just on my list of things to do. 

So I used rumrunner to achieve S-Off, unlock the bootloader, and get root. Then flashed the custom Hboot, then flashed TWRP and finally made a backup and flashed my ROM. It was a bit different then I'm use to on the locked down Razr using Safestrap, but overall it was pretty straight forward. 

I like the GPE Port, but he plans on making a 4.4 AOSP that I'll end up switching to as long as its not too buggy. 

• dmmarck likes this
| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |

dmmarck #18

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 10:46 AM

It would seem all the different stock versions are on the S-Off list. So Verizon has not patched it yet. 

Its not a full GPE, but a Port built on top of sense framework. Its really kinda a cross between Sense, GPE and AOSP. Pretty close to a pure google experience. It still has Beats Audio and a few other things from the stock ROM. 

Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port

I did end up flashing a new custom HBoot from This Thread on XDA - Not sure exactly what I got flashing it, but it was just on my list of things to do. 

So I used rumrunner to achieve S-Off, unlock the bootloader, and get root. Then flashed the custom Hboot, then flashed TWRP and finally made a backup and flashed my ROM. It was a bit different then I'm use to on the locked down Razr using Safestrap, but overall it was pretty straight forward. 

I like the GPE Port, but he plans on making a 4.4 AOSP that I'll end up switching to as long as its not too buggy. 

Awesome.  Yeah I think I could have used rumrunner (which was created by figuring out how to get past HBOOT 1.55, which essentially sealed SOFF for a few months), but I chose to:

1. Wipe my device completely (was running CM10.2 nightlies)
  2. Flash a stock nandroid
  3. Flash a stock RUU
  4. Use revone for SOFF
  5. Removed tampered flag
  6. Changed CID
  7. Flashed the GPE RUU
  8. ???
  9. Profit

It's been a great experience, but I'm still bugged by a few things (mainly the hardware keys).  Going to miss the speakers though; easily the best on any phone.

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #19

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 11:00 AM

@dmmarck, For sure, I love the speakers and Beats audio on the phone. I'm not sure why more manufactures are not using front facing speakers. 

Its nice that I didn't have to do anything with RUU or CID in order to get the GPE.  

dmmarck #20

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 11:01 AM

@dmmarck, For sure, I love the speakers and Beats audio on the phone. I'm not sure why more manufactures are not using front facing speakers.

Its nice that I didn't have to do anything with RUU or CID in order to get the GPE.

Well I could have done it like you did, which is more akin to a ROM, but I wanted Google OTAs in case I had to sell.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #21

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 4 '13 @ 2:17 PM

I made the right decision.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• lpt2569 and Ahowe125 like this

tacsig513.png

C Sab #22

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 4 '13 @ 3:33 PM

Of course. We told you to get it. :P

• dmmarck likes this

lpt2569 #23

lpt2569
  • 185 posts

Posted Nov 4 '13 @ 3:38 PM

Everyone takes a wrong turn now and then. ;)

dmmarck #24

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 4 '13 @ 3:47 PM

Everyone takes a wrong turn now and then. ;)

Shit happens. Lol

tacsig513.png

Reply to this topic