Started by dmmarck ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

dmmarck #1

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Nov 2 '13 @ 11:43 AM

Now, I'm not a photographer, so I'm hoping C and some others chime in...

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Nov 2 '13 @ 3:19 PM

Overall, the comparison was easy for me to make. The S4's camera is definitely better overall to me but not by a huge amount which is saying something cnsidering Samsung devices have some of the best cameras in the industry.

Honestly, the N5's camera is nothing to go crazy about, but it's a huge step up from the Nexus 4 from what I've seen and while it isn't great I think people should be satisfied with the result.

Updated by C Sab, Nov 8 '13 @ 8:10 PM.

dmmarck #3

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 2 '13 @ 3:20 PM

Overall, the comparison was easy for me to make. The S4's camera is definitely better in brighter conditions and it's front facing camera is definitely better than the N5's. Everything else though was either a tie or a very close win for the N5.

Honestly, the N5's camera is nothing to go crazy about, only being slightly better if not tied with the S4's camera but considering the history of the Nexus line's cameras and the fact that Samsung phones have some of the best camera's in the industry I think that people who were worried about the N5's camera can put those fears to rest.

Appreciate your input, thank you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

tacsig513.png

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 2 '13 @ 3:29 PM

Overall, the comparison was easy for me to make. The S4's camera is definitely better in brighter conditions and it's front facing camera is definitely better than the N5's. Everything else though was either a tie or a very close win for the N5.

Honestly, the N5's camera is nothing to go crazy about, only being slightly better if not tied with the S4's camera but considering the history of the Nexus line's cameras and the fact that Samsung phones have some of the best camera's in the industry I think that people who were worried about the N5's camera can put those fears to rest.

Appreciate your input, thank you.

It's what I'm here for.

Also, I've checked a few other sites. I notice that while the One still comes out on top overall in low-light the N5 comes VERY close and the One is known as the phone to beat for low-light photography so the N5 deserves praise for that.

Video looks pretty good too. Not quite as smooth as the S4 was but the difference isn't anything to worry about plus it's obvious OIS is present compared to phones lacking it.

Updated by C Sab, Nov 2 '13 @ 3:30 PM.

Cory Streater #5

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 6:49 AM

I had to mute the volume to get through that video, but from what I saw, I thought the Galaxy S4 was far superior in all but low light conditions. Even then, I have to wonder if he is one of those who didn't realize there's an almost invisible ring of protective plastic civering the silver parameter of the camera. Leaving that on greatly affects quality in low light conditions and closeups. His closeups looked blurrier than they should, which is a result of the protective ring interfering with the light sensor. Regardless, Samsung spends a considerable amount of effort on their camera software, so it's no surprise to me that it wins.

Is it the new trend to talk 90 miles an hour in videos now?

C Sab #6

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 7:52 AM

I had to mute the volume to get through that video, but from what I saw, I thought the Galaxy S4 was far superior in all but low light conditions. Even then, I have to wonder if he is one of those who didn't realize there's an almost invisible ring of protective plastic civering the silver parameter of the camera. Leaving that on greatly affects quality in low light conditions and closeups. His closeups looked blurrier than they should, which is a result of the protective ring interfering with the light sensor. Regardless, Samsung spends a considerable amount of effort on their camera software, so it's no surprise to me that it wins.

I forgot about that plastic ring over the lens.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

dmmarck #7

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 7:55 AM

Contact him? I don't mind the speaking at 90 mph because I just tune it out regardless.

I also don't think the gap is "far" regardless of which wins.

Which is, all considered, a goddamn miracle.

tacsig513.png

C Sab #8

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 3 '13 @ 6:10 PM

Now that I've taken another look at the video I notice that besides the sky, in the outdoor pics the S4's camera picks up a bit more detail in the buildings/structures. Honestly though, no matter how you look at it the N5 has a good camera so I think the biggest concern of the phone is no longer a concern.