Started by Christopher Coleman ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Nov 4 '13 @ 7:02 PM

Just got a CC and <3 it.  However, I can't seem to get it to feed me 5.1 surround through Netflix even on content marked as such.  The Netflix app on my phone only gives me the option for Stereo.  Any advice?

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 4 '13 @ 9:40 PM

Did a little digging around, seems to be a common problem with different solutions/workarounds based on your setup. One person suggested updating the setting to the highest level under your account .. good/best/better
Worth a shot:https://movies.netflix.com/HdToggle

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Christopher Coleman #3

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 7:13 AM

I did a ton of searching as well and hadn't came up with anything solid.  Tried your tip and it didn't seem to help the issue.  Now I just have to decide if it is a dealbreaker or not.

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 7:31 AM

Is it on the CC end or Netflix end?

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Christopher Coleman #5

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 7:34 AM

I don't have any clue.  I think it's an issue between the Netflix app (but not necessarily the service) and Chromecast, because my Blu-ray player will pull down the surround tracks just fine.  

dmmarck #6

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 7:48 AM

I don't have any clue.  I think it's an issue between the Netflix app (but not necessarily the service) and Chromecast, because my Blu-ray player will pull down the surround tracks just fine.  

Hmmm.  Have you tried streaming Netflix from a Chrome browser?

tacsig513.png

Christopher Coleman #7

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 8:23 AM

Doing so right now and am experiencing the same problem.

dmmarck #8

dmmarck
  • 1381 posts

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 9:39 AM

Doing so right now and am experiencing the same problem.

Hmmmm.

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #9

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Nov 29 '13 @ 6:26 PM

Think I'll buy a Chromecast this month.  I read that you can stream Google Movies but can I stream Google Music(GM)?  My plan is to attach the Chromecast to one of the HDMI inputs on my receiver which controls the TV, players and 5.1  surround sound. Plug it into the electric socket on the receiver so it turns on when the receiver does, I don't need the TV on just the receiver. So i control Google Music from my tablet the stream goes through Chromecast thru the receiver and out of the speakers.  Is this doable?  Does this sound right?   If I turn my TV on will I be able to see my tablet screen too.  Probably don't need that for music, but...

I alternate between Sirius/XM and listening to my GM radio stations on my tablet so it will be great if this works.

Christopher Coleman #10

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 29 '13 @ 6:31 PM

You will be able to use Google Music as described. You won't be able to cast your tablet screen but can cast either a tab from Chrome (or the whole screen) of your PC to get the radio feeds through it as well.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk

Cyber Warrior #11

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 29 '13 @ 6:52 PM

How about it working with a receiver like Jerrod mentioned? I think I'm going to buy a few CC's as well. They're $30 right now with a free $6 Google Play credit.

tacsig513.png

Christopher Coleman #12

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 29 '13 @ 6:58 PM

As long as his receiver is CEC-enabled (peruse the settings menus to enable), he should be able to start casting and it will power on the receiver.

One thing I missed though--
If you want to start casting and have it turn on the receiver magically, you need to use the wall wart to send power to your Chromecast.

If you want to turn on your receiver mannually and then begin casting, use any available USB port that you'd like.

Cyber Warrior #13

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 29 '13 @ 7:27 PM

K cool.. My receiver is always left on/powered on.. It powers my cable box, TV, dvd player and my Revue.. which I might ditch if I like the CC better.

The second CC I plan on hooking up in my spare bedroom which has no cable or anything. I was thinking about connecting my 22" monitor from an old computer I don't use anymore and attaching it to another spare receiver that I have. The lcd monitor doesn't have an hdmi port, which is why I was wondering about the CC working from a receiver.

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #14

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 29 '13 @ 7:58 PM

Just checked the setup instructions and it says that you can set it up from your phone or tablet or even from your widows computer.  Can I set it up with all three so I can play vids from my computer onto the TV too?  Some of the  videos on my Pc playing on my 50 inch TV would be wild.

Christopher Coleman #15

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 29 '13 @ 8:06 PM

What that means is that you can set up your Chromecast using either device. Setting up means basically telling it which network to connect to. You can't stream videos locally from PC to Chromecast. I had some luck converting a movie to WebM format, telling Chrome to play it and casting but it was laggy as all hell and cumbersome. Not recommended. Keep your smart bluray/TV functions handy for that. I can tell you how to set up a dlna server and control it with your phone but that isn't chromecast related in the least and I don't want to derail the thread.

Christopher Coleman #16

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Nov 29 '13 @ 9:31 PM

suppose you might be able to play the video on your PC and stream the entire screen, but you'd have to be running some pretty beefy hardware to make that happen with any sort of success, let alone at 720p (which is the highest bitrate you can stream from Chrome). You'd still be better off using DLNA to stream local media.

I do not recommend trying to make it work with your Chromecast. Even if you did, you'd lose any surround tracks associated with whatever you're watching.

Jerrod #17

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 1:11 PM

None of the vids I was thinking about streaming have surround sound thank you, but thanks for the warning.  I have my receiver set to upscale every  visual input to 1080p  output if it is not already there but   I don't think I'll try vids from my PC which are probably not 720p anyway.  Just a "imagine if" thought I was having.

Cyber Warrior #18

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 2 '13 @ 10:39 PM

So, instead of my initial plan of buying 2 Chromecasts.. I just ordered a Roku 2 O_o for $60 (originally $80)as a Cyber Monday deal. I'm still contemplating if I should pull the trigger and buy a Chromecast.. I'm having a hard time with this lol. I like the fact that you can hook up an external drive to the Roku box USB port and play stored content. I know the Chromecast sdk is getting released in a few days but not knowing what the potential/future of this thing is going to be is driving me nuts, especially during these sales. I'm hoping Chromecast at least opens its doors for Plex. The $6 Google Play credit is good until the 7th so I still have time to decide.. Buy a Chromecast? Or just buy another Roku? :P

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #19

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 11:55 AM

Think I'll buy a Chromecast this month.  I read that you can stream Google Movies but can I stream Google Music(GM)?  My plan is to attach the Chromecast to one of the HDMI inputs on my receiver which controls the TV, players and 5.1  surround sound. Plug it into the electric socket on the receiver so it turns on when the receiver does, I don't need the TV on just the receiver. So i control Google Music from my tablet the stream goes through Chromecast thru the receiver and out of the speakers.  Is this doable?  Does this sound right?   If I turn my TV on will I be able to see my tablet screen too.  Probably don't need that for music, but...

I alternate between Sirius/XM and listening to my GM radio stations on my tablet so it will be great if this works.

Bought a Chromecast from BestBuy this morning. I plugged it into the HDMI 2 port of my receiver and held my breath( I worry about everything).  Turned the receiver and TV on and was presented with the Initial setup screen.  Downloaded the app to my tablet and phone, continued with set up and it works!

I am only streaming Google Music so far but I love this.  With Music you can't contol that actual player controls, but you do see the album art.  Nevermind I tried  it with the TV off and it still works just like I was hoping. I play music through my PC sound system and my Bose radio but this is the first time I have actually heard my songs in surround sound.  I am ready to go kiss myself.

It's great. 

Malik Suleman #20

Malik Suleman
  • 137 posts

Posted Nov 16 '15 @ 10:04 PM

Just got a CC and <3 it.  However, I can't seem to get it to feed me 5.1 surround through Netflix even on content marked as such.  The Netflix app on my phone only gives me the option for Stereo.  Any advice?

reinstall the app