Photo

Apps on KitKat

Started by C Sab ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

C Sab #1

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 9:01 AM

So I had a random thought just now (well, one of a million I get each and every day) and it goes thus: KitKat has been designed to run smoothly on low-end devices and I mean really low-end. Like 512MB of RAM low-end, which everyone here should know is probably the lowest you can get and still run a modern-day smartphone OS. Anyway, my thought was since KitKat is designed to run on such low specs just as well as it does on high-end specs then wouldn't that mean apps that are optimized for it would also not require as much power to run them smoothly?

If so, this could probably give the Moto X an extension of it's life cycle since as we all know the Moto X runs just as well as any high-end device available today with mid-level specs but eventually as apps get bigger and more detailed (especially games) they will require more power to run them well, something the Moto X will fail to do much faster than the high-end phones but if what I'm guessing is true then the Moto X might not have that issue anymore.

Anyone else see where I'm coming from or am I just shooting shit?

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 5 '13 @ 7:59 PM

No, I think you are correct.. one of the arguments when the Moto X specs were leaked was that it didn't matter because the device was built that way since it would run fine with the upcoming Android 4.4 optimized software. After ICS was released, Google stated that their next version of Android (KitKat) would be even more "buttery smooth" and that the software would be better optimized for an even greater user experience. Each year we were seeing bigger and badder hardware but Android was still lagging, so no matter how many cores you had or how much RAM you got.. it was pointless because the software wasn't utilizing it correctly... the hardware surpassed the software. Now that we have this new 'killer' software, which was supposed to be more smoother then ICS, (although I have yet to use KitKat so I can't say if it lived up to the hype) devices with not so stelar hardware could take advantage and utilize the software more efficiently... again I have to see this in action, I would love to see how much of an improvement 4.4 runs on a lower end spec device. 

As for the Moto X.. I think it will be just fine for its life span, the same as any other device.. eventually it will be outdated. I think until they can fully balance out the software with the hardware for the best optimization possible, we're still going to be missing a piece of the puzzle no matter how good the software is or how good the hardware is... the two need to be in sync with each other for the best experience... and something tells me KitKat isnt that missing piece.. its probably a good start, things are slowly catching up and getting better.. but Android has more work to do.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Photopaul65 #3

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Nov 6 '13 @ 4:39 AM

This is exactly why I hesitate to even consider the Moto X. My upgrade is in March, and my prior experiences tell me that Android devices start falling behind at 15 to 18 months in their life cycle. In March, the Moto X will be 8 month old hardware, albeit unique hardware, so do I ignore my gut feeling and just go with what Google is proclaiming?

I know 2 gb of RAM goes a long way to improve Android, and none of my current devices sport more than 1 GB, and today's quad-graphics really help with the intense games, I'm just really afraid of committing 2 years to any device that is less capable than the current flagships of today. I could just tough it out and wait for the MotoX2, but being a Verizon customer I'm always paying the subsidy, and I hate doing that and not getting a new phone as soon as I'm able to.

Prove me wrong, Google. I really don't want to have to buy an S5 just to be current.

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 4:01 PM

This is exactly why I hesitate to even consider the Moto X. My upgrade is in March, and my prior experiences tell me that Android devices start falling behind at 15 to 18 months in their life cycle. In March, the Moto X will be 8 month old hardware, albeit unique hardware, so do I ignore my gut feeling and just go with what Google is proclaiming?

I know 2 gb of RAM goes a long way to improve Android, and none of my current devices sport more than 1 GB, and today's quad-graphics really help with the intense games, I'm just really afraid of committing 2 years to any device that is less capable than the current flagships of today. I could just tough it out and wait for the MotoX2, but being a Verizon customer I'm always paying the subsidy, and I hate doing that and not getting a new phone as soon as I'm able to.

Prove me wrong, Google. I really don't want to have to buy an S5 just to be current.

You summarized my fears with the Moto X perfectly.  Although, truth be told, it was a tough decision... (between that or the Nexus 5).

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 5:20 PM

The only reason I see to get the Moto X over the Nexus 5 is better battery life and the touchless control.

Photopaul65 #6

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 5:24 PM

Unless you're on Verizon, then the Nexus 5 isn't an option, yet ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

C Sab #7

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 5:30 PM

Unless you're on Verizon, then the Nexus 5 isn't an option, yet ;) Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Fair enough. ;) Silly Verizon.

Photopaul65 #8

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 5:32 PM

I call Verizon a lot of things, none nearly as nice as "silly"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

C Sab #9

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 7 '13 @ 6:25 PM

Well they haven't infected my country (yet) so I just poke fun.
  • Photopaul65 likes this