Started by Cyber Warrior ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Cyber Warrior #1

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 8 '13 @ 9:09 AM

This whole Verizon debacle with their locked down bootloaders got me thinking... while Verizon has yet to see a Google Edition device, they do have a Moto X and Galaxy S4 Developer Edition with a rumored Note 3 on the way. The only difference between Developer and Google Edition is the Developer Edition still has its skin (Sense, Touchwiz, etc..) while the Google Edition takes a skinned device and puts a vanilla Android experience on it. Since the Nexus line is already pure Android, it would fall into the Developer Edition category. So we have a Moto X, Galaxy S4 and possible Note 3 Developer Edition phones... as silly as it sounds, what's stopping Google and Verizon from putting out a Verizon Nexus 5 Developer/Google Edition type device? Its rumored that Verizon and Google were working on something for 2014, I have to wonder if this is whats in the works.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Jerrod #2

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Nov 8 '13 @ 10:32 AM

Perhaps it is because Google would have to have addional license for CDMA.

I think I remember one of them ( Larry Paige?)saying that Google would might consider Vz when CDMA was no longer on their devices

creccaj #3

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Nov 8 '13 @ 1:48 PM

The fact that they need to call a Nexus 5 "Developer Edition" just to get to Verizon is rediculous.  I agree, anything is better than nothing for Verizon customers but its hilarious that Verizon is so thick headed with their "testing policies" that they stopped one of the (if not the) hottest device of 2013.  Personally, after everything that happened with the Galaxy Nexus I highly doubt Verizon will ever see another Nexus phone again.  It is very sad that this fact is probably the truth but in reality if they didn't get the Nexus 4 and now the Nexus 5 I highly doubt we will see something from them.

I did hear rumors of a Google and Verizon "project" but who knows what that could be.  Nothing is stopping them from getting the Nexus 5, hell I am sure Google wants in on Verizon since it is the largest customer base in the US and they could make a killing with the phone on that network.  I would even bet that Google will allow higher prices (off contract) to justify having subsidized pricing so people will give up unlimited data for the phone.  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

Cory Streater #4

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 6:27 AM

Who pushes out the updates for the Verizon Developer Editions? If it's Verizon, it (a N5) ain't happening. They want to control the update process and the testing that goes along with it. That makes it a non Nexus.

creccaj #5

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 6:37 AM

Who pushes out the updates for the Verizon Developer Editions? If it's Verizon, it (a N5) ain't happening. They want to control the update process and the testing that goes along with it. That makes it a non Nexus.

I am pretty sure dev edition phones are controlled by the OEM. I could be wrong though.  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Cyber Warrior #6

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 7:24 AM

Just looked it up.. think it's controlled by Verizon.. Damn you Streater! Foiled again! ;)

It should help with faster updates however.. Anyone know if the Dev Edition Moto X came with any bloatware? What reasons would Verizon have to stall an update if they don't have to alter the software in any way? That was the main argument with the GNex correct? It still had some Verizon goodies on it when it shouldn't have. I wonder if they did the same to the Dev Edition? I'm guessing they probably did.. the phone probably has just an unlocked bootloader and that's about it.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

creccaj #7

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 8:20 AM

Just looked it up.. think it's controlled by Verizon.. Damn you Streater! Foiled again! ;)

It should help with faster updates however.. Anyone know if the Dev Edition Moto X came with any bloatware? What reasons would Verizon have to stall an update if they don't have to alter the software in any way? That was the main argument with the GNex correct? It still had some Verizon goodies on it when it shouldn't have. I wonder if they did the same to the Dev Edition? I'm guessing they probably did.. the phone probably has just an unlocked bootloader and that's about it.

There is no answer to the bolded part above, just that they are Verizon.  GNex was slow for updates but I don't remember that much bloat on it when I got the phone?  Just the Verizon app maybe.  Shit it's been a while but they would have no reason to block updates on dev edition phones.  

Moto X dev edition just gives you the ability to unlock the bootloader... no guarantee of update speed or anything of that nature like the Google Play Edition phones.  

tacsig513.png

Cory Streater #8

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 10:13 PM

Verizon has a rigorous network testing and certification process that funnels through infinite layers of old as dirt wireline bell head executives, all of which are out of touch with their end users. Or are they? They aren't exactly losing customers over their business model.

Jerrod #9

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Nov 10 '13 @ 3:48 AM

My family had phone service with Bell of Pa and when I started service I did so with them. Then they changed their name to Verizon. Come cell phone time I went with them. The point is people tend to stick with what they have and if it provides good cell service they are happy and will put up with whatever the rules might be. They must see some advantage to making a change.

For the majority of Verizon customers there is no advantage,so Verizon will continue to control and dictate everything and every policy they can.

After having the Gnex experience with them I decided that if I want a Nexus experience I would have to leave Verizon. So I did. Please note that this was only possible because I have good enough service from At&t in my area. T mobile is here too but At&t is a bit more consistent.

My fear is that even with the developers edition you are still going to subject to Verizon tight control over everything..and you will receive updates six months after they are released just like what happened with the genes.

I am not holding any hope that Verizon Will change not as long as their customer base is growing.

creccaj #10

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 10 '13 @ 4:53 AM

Verizon has a rigorous network testing and certification process that funnels through infinite layers of old as dirt wireline bell head executives, all of which are out of touch with their end users. Or are they? They aren't exactly losing customers over their business model.

They aren't... yet.  AT&T is slowly creeping up on them with the LTE network and T-Mobile/Sprint are tempting people by still offering unlimited data.  Verizon is getting away with it for now but how much longer do you see them doing the same thing before people jump ship for good?  

tacsig513.png

dmmarck #11

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Nov 11 '13 @ 9:30 AM

They aren't... yet.  AT&T is slowly creeping up on them with the LTE network and T-Mobile/Sprint are tempting people by still offering unlimited data.  Verizon is getting away with it for now but how much longer do you see them doing the same thing before people jump ship for good?  

AT&T > Verizon in some markets (like DC).

Verizon lost me, and I had a line with them since 2000.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Johnny5 #12

Johnny5
  • 89 posts

Posted Nov 11 '13 @ 8:15 PM

They aren't... yet. AT&T is slowly creeping up on them with the LTE network and T-Mobile/Sprint are tempting people by still offering unlimited data. Verizon is getting away with it for now but how much longer do you see them doing the same thing before people jump ship for good?

AT&T > Verizon in some markets (like DC).

I am also on the verge of leaving Verizon. I just have to take my family with me so it will be work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Lee Bo #13

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Nov 12 '13 @ 5:32 AM

The number I have now I got with Bell Atlantic Mobile in 1993.  In the late 90's, possibly 1999/2000, Bell Atlantic became Verizon Wireless.  Yep....been a VZW customer THAT long.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

dmmarck #14

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Nov 12 '13 @ 7:17 AM

The number I have now I got with Bell Atlantic Mobile in 1993. In the late 90's, possibly 1999/2000, Bell Atlantic became Verizon Wireless. Yep....been a VZW customer THAT long.

Lol that's quite a history!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

creccaj #15

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 12 '13 @ 5:07 PM

The number I have now I got with Bell Atlantic Mobile in 1993.  In the late 90's, possibly 1999/2000, Bell Atlantic became Verizon Wireless.  Yep....been a VZW customer THAT long.

Parents were in the same boat as well.  They have had their lines on Bell and now Verizon since 1995 or 96.  They have no reason to cancel their service though since Mom uses an iPhone and Dad refuses to give up his Blackberry.  However, if my Dad ever did give up his Blackberry he wants my Nexus, loves the feel and size of it.  I feel like that's a win since he is under the impression that only "fags and women" use iPhones.  His quote... not mine.  

tacsig513.png