Photo

My Nexus 5 Experience

Started by C Sab ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

C Sab #1

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Nov 8 '13 @ 8:39 PM

So, I decided to go to the mall today and at one of the carrier stores they had a Nexus 5 on display. I don't think I need to tell any of you how excited I was to finally get a chance to try it out. I spent about 20 minutes with it to try and see how it held up with what I've been hearing. I am pleased to announce that most of what you guys and others I know have been saying has been confirmed for me. So here's my first impressions on the device.

Design: Having had the Nexus 10 for almost a year I knew what I was getting into when I held it as the Nexus 5 is pretty much built the same way. This is a good thing because like the Nexus 10, the Nexus 5 feels very good in my hand and despite the soft back it feels light without feeling fragile. I will miss the glittery glass back of the Nexus 4 but oh well.

Software: Well what can I say that hasn't been said already? This is a very fast phone. How fast? Well funny enough, right next to this demo Nexus 5 was a demo G2 which before the Nexus 5 came out was pretty much the fastest smartphone available so what better phone to compare to in terms of performance? Now I'll credit this to both the work that Google has done to the new version of it's OS or the fact that the same people that made the G2 also made this phone but while swiping through homescreens, opening and closing apps, etc. on both phones at the same time (left hand on the G2, right hand on the Nexus 5) the Nexus 5 easily matched the G2 and in fact unless it was simply a matter of me not perfectly timing my movements on both phones I could swear that when it came to a few certain actions the Nexus 5 actually did them slightly quicker than the G2. With what I said before about the G2 being the fastest device available when it came out just a short while ago this is impressive. Again, I don't know who deserves the credit more for this but it doesn't matter, what matters is that the Nexus 5 practically dares you to even think of trying to make it lag.

If you try, it will laugh at you and show you the foolishness of your actions.

Camera: Here is where what I've heard hasn't been entirely true. For those of you who have not seen the comparison video Dylan uploaded of the Nexus 5 camera against the S4 camera, the person who does the video says that one thing he doesn't like about the Nexus 5's camera is that you can't tap to focus. If you tap, the camera takes a picture instead. This. Is. Not. True. I tapped the screen, forgetting that this guy had said this and to my surprise, the Nexus 5 didn't snap a picture, it focused. I don't know why things were different here. Maybe there's a box you check off to choose what tapping the camera screen does but know that the Nexus 5 camera does have the ability to tap to focus.

As for the actual picture quality, the results were what I expected: nothing special but perfectly acceptable.

I would rank the camera thus:

-The G2 is the clear winner

-Next would be the Note 3

-Close behind is the S4

-I would put the Nexus 5 here. But not by a huge amount. It comes close to the S4 which itself has a great camera.

-The Z/ZL are pretty much the same phone so I'll put them in their own spot here

-Finally, here's the One's spot.

I was also shown a video comparing the Nexus 5's camera to that of the 5S. Honestly, if I were to add the latest iPhone's camera to the list it would be below the Nexus 5 at best. Honestly, when the two were compared, the Nexus 5 was the clear winner with the only exception being the flash thanks to the dual-LED that the 5S has.

And that's all I can really say right now. I wasn't able to get a good amount of time with it but after a very short time this is what I can be sure of and the Nexus 5 has succeeded where all other Android phones failed (the G2 came close but I don't see myself getting used to the button placement): it made me change my mind about upgrading to the S4.

I know that'll make quite a few of you happy. :P

• Cyber Warrior, dmmarck and Johnny5 like this

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 8 '13 @ 8:41 PM

Pretty good for 20 minutes I'd say. :P

Updated by C Sab, Nov 8 '13 @ 8:41 PM.

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 8 '13 @ 10:24 PM

I'll give you my quick review, I have one but it's up for sale.. no intention of keeping it. As C Sab mentioned, if you've held an N10 or the newer N7,it has the same backing but a little softer IMO, maybe even slightly different material which is a lint magnet, in fact opening the package I was surprised at how much lint/debris was already on the device and it was fresh out of the box. The phone feels great in the hand though, very comfortable. Having played with an LG G2 in store, I knew the phone was going to fly and it does.. very smooth and snappy. If the G2 can push that heavily skinned LG UI, then without a doubt it can handle the Nexus' minimal OS and KitKats optimised software. The screen looks beautiful, no complaints.. I tested the camera and thought it was just fine.. pics were clear, color was good. I tested the speaker and as other reviews have reported.. it was kind of weak.. most speakers on Android are though minus the HTC One.. but it was definitely one of the lowest I've ever heard, hopefully an update fixes that. Other then that there really isn't much to see.. It's a Nexus, not much to look at or play with.. it's a very simple phone but powerful. If it ever came to Verizon I'd definitely consider buying one for myself.. only complaint might be the 2300mAh battery since I'm coming from the GS4's 2600mAh.. get a few extra hours out of it.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 8 '13 @ 10:34 PM

Yeah, I don't see why they didn't put a bigger battery in. Maybe they were that confident about the new update's lower power consumption.

creccaj #5

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts
  • Device: Hammerhead | Flo

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 6:15 AM

Yeah, I don't see why they didn't put a bigger battery in. Maybe they were that confident about the new update's lower power consumption.

Or because its $350...?

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

Moderator - Accountant - Android Enthusiast

C Sab #6

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 11:27 AM

Perhaps.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

C Sab #7

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 1:48 PM

So, im probably comitting blasphemy here but I've decided to get my Nexus 5 through my carrier.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 3:51 PM

Whys that? It's cheaper through the Play Store no? Or you don't want to wait?

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #9

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 7:30 PM

Actually, I can get it for only $99 bucks on-contract. I only pay $35 bucks a month and I get 6GB of data plus I read on the Rogers forums that apparently Nexus devices sold through the carriers are still factory unlocked like the ones sold from the Play Store so with all that it would be better to get it through Rogers. And if it isn't unlocked, then well, it's a Nexus device. How hard could it be to do it myself? :P

Updated by C Sab, Nov 9 '13 @ 7:31 PM.

creccaj #10

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 10 '13 @ 4:54 AM

Actually, I can get it for only $99 bucks on-contract. I only pay $35 bucks a month and I get 6GB of data plus I read on the Rogers forums that apparently Nexus devices sold through the carriers are still factory unlocked like the ones sold from the Play Store so with all that it would be better to get it through Rogers. And if it isn't unlocked, then well, it's a Nexus device. How hard could it be to do it myself? :P

Factory unlocked is different than carrier unlocked.  Unless it states then you buy the phone from Rodgers that you can pay the subsidized price and then go to another carrier with the phone just by putting a new SIM in I would be careful.  

tacsig513.png

Nexus 5 - Stock w/ Franco Test 8 | Nexus 7 2013 - PA 3.99 | Mako (Retired) - Purity ROM

C Sab #11

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 10 '13 @ 8:50 AM

I'll ask the person that handles the corporate deal Rogers has with my mom's work. Either way my plan is great so I probably won't change carriers anyway. At least not until the next Nexus.

creccaj #12

creccaj
  • Wait, wut?
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 12 '13 @ 5:11 PM

If they got the Nexus 5, willing to bet they won't have any issues getting whatever comes next.  They aren't Verizon :P

tacsig513.png

C Sab #13

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 13 '13 @ 10:03 AM

Well, I might get the next one from Google Play anyway. :P We'll see, but I have no doubt they'll get the next Nexus too.

bobbypham #14

bobbypham
  • 1 posts

Posted Sep 23 '15 @ 5:20 PM

Thank you so much for your post.

I am using Nexus 5 as my best favourite ever :)

I gave up iPhone...No iPhone anymore.

Anw, my Nexus sometimes have some bugs and automatically shut down?

Do you know this situation?

Thank you!