First Impressions of my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Started by rawrightjd ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

rawrightjd #1

rawrightjd
  • 1 posts

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 9:47 AM

10762353793_47cef5ca68_b.jpg

Having been born and raised in Texas, there's a catchphrase that I've heard since I was young―”Everything is bigger in Texas”―and I figured that this would be a good place to start with my initial impressions of my newest smartphone...the Samsung Galaxy Note III. Now, I'm perfectly aware that this magnificent little...well big... device came out some time ago. That being said, I have always lusted after a device that possessed the flexibility to allow me to write or draw with it.  

Upgrading from an old Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, the first concern that entered my feeble mind, was the size of the damn thing. I've heard phones called bricks before...but this thing could be the whole facade of a castle built by William the Bastard, after the Norman Conquest of 1066. My concerns over the girth of the Note III  quickly abated when I went to the AT&T store, and experienced my first truly hands-on experience with the device. Despite its size, the Note III is surprisingly light, and its thin construction represents a fine technological achievement from a country which lacked electricity, in many sectors, a mere 50 years ago!

The phone is massive for a reason, the 5.7 inches of screen real-estate are tantalizing! Like a stripper in Vegas, it's bright colors and vibrant movements intoxicate the user with every input. The Super AMOLED screen provides a crisp image, boasting a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels. The color display is crisp and alluring. All concerns about its massive 5.95 x 3.12 x 0.33 inch dimensions fade from the mind.

Also like a Vegas stripper, the Galaxy Note III costs a pretty penny, if you want to take it home with you. Without the authoritarian two-year contract with AT&T this phone will set you back $769.99―and that's before you figure in taxes, so  worthless crack-whores can be given a phone on your dime (but, that's a different issue for a different time).  All in all, with the contract, plus all the goodies that you need with the phone, it comes out to around $500.  

I know that this price still causes one's jaw to drop, but for that amount of money, you're purchasing a very capable phone, with a fantastic screen, 3 gigs of ram, and a processor that has enough power to serve as the primary server for Healthcare.gov...and not crash! In addition, this phone weighs a minuscule 5.93 oz! That's amazing, when you consider the phone has a surface diameter that, like the Great Wall of China, can be seen from outer space!   

The Note III comes with two cameras...which isn't innovative in the modern era, unless you're upgrading from the stone-ages (i.e., you own a Blackberry device). What is nice are the specs of the main camera. It is a 13 megapixel marvel. The list of features bundled with this camera are as robust as the phone itself is large.  The front facing one is a 2 megapixel camera, which is capable, but I wish Sammy had included a higher resolution option for this camera. Nevertheless, the Note III rivals many point-and-shoot cameras out there. (Maybe that's one reason why Kodak went bankrupt!)  

Moving on, the hardware of this phone is nothing short of phenomenal. It boasts a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 system chip. In other words, a quad core 2.3 ghz processor, and a stunning 3 gigs of ram. This device is more like a computer with those specs than a mobile phone! The graphics  processor is the capable Adreno 330. As a result, the display is stunning, videos look fantastic, and the phone screams with speed.

Furthermore, the Note III comes standard with 32 gigs of built-in storage which can be expanded by an additional 64 gigs, via the microSD bay. I wouldn't suggest getting that much storage, unless money is no problem for you, as a 32 gig microSD card runs in the range of $50, which may not seem like a lot, until you recall the stripper-like price tag of the phone itself!

Added to this is its 4g LTE data support, NFC, and even an HDMI connector for TV-out, via its microUSB 3.0 port. Again, this is amazing, considering the fact that this device is mobile, and just-compact-enough to be “hand-held”.  Yet, all of this pales in comparison to the delight of the main oddity of the Note III...the S pen. I'm not sure why Sammy decided to name it the S pen, which―should you flip the order of the words―sounds like “penis”...but, stupid name aside, this aspect of the device is a true delight.  

The handwriting recognition software is smooth, and even recognizes most of my chicken scratch, which could be confused for cuneiform writing from Ancient Mesopotamia. The other nice feature of the S pen, which rests in the bottom of the phone, is that it alerts you when the S pen is pulled out. Thus, losing the S pen is a difficult task. Drawing wise, the Note III is fun, and reminds me of a Wacom tablet, which is a good thing!

Its battery is good too! Boasting an alleged talk time of 25 hours, and a 4G stand-by time of 380 hours, or 15.8 days. Google's Android 4.3, “Jelly Bean” runs smoothly, when not marred by Sammy's worthless “Touch-wiz” interface. Nevertheless, this device is a pleasure to use, and though ungainly in size, after adjustment, I think I might fall in love with the size too!

• Cyber Warrior, Christopher Coleman and dmmarck like this

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 10:11 AM

Thanks for the review.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Lee Bo #3

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Nov 9 '13 @ 4:26 PM

Grrrr....now I want to leave VZW for Tmob and get one.  :-)

• dmmarck likes this

Twitter: @Android_Lee

dmmarck #4

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Nov 11 '13 @ 9:29 AM

Great review!

You should create a gallery with your sketches ;).

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Ahowe125 #5

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Nov 12 '13 @ 10:00 AM

Grrrr....now I want to leave VZW for Tmob and get one.  :-)

Wait? Why leave Verizon to get one? Can't figure out a way to upgrade? Don't have another line to transfer the upgrade to?

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Lee Bo #6

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Nov 12 '13 @ 11:52 AM

Wait? Why leave Verizon to get one? Can't figure out a way to upgrade? Don't have another line to transfer the upgrade to?

I used my sons upgrade to get my Note 2 and I gave him my Bionic.  It's his first smartphone so I thought if was a smart choice.  Since I'm on a grandfathered plan, I cannot touch my line or I lose unlimited data.  I also don't quality for the Verizon Edge program because the only customers that's available to are shared data plan users.  So really the ONLY benefit to a grandfathered plan in the unlimited data.  At least with TMobile I'd get the exact same coverage that Verizon gives me plus I can buy a phone on a payment plan.  Yes, I'm still paying full retail for the phone, just don't have to pay it all up front.  Plus, being able to upgrade to a phone ANY time I want to and still keep unlimited data.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Ahowe125 #7

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Nov 12 '13 @ 12:00 PM

Since I'm on a grandfathered plan, I cannot touch my line or I lose unlimited data.  I also don't quality for the Verizon Edge program because the only customers that's available to are shared data plan users

If you wanted to keep your unlimited just follow those steps to transfer your upgrade to your Son's line and then use the phone on yours. I did not have to do this last time to get my One, but the website did have the option plain as day. If my sister wants to upgrade (cause I took hers) then I'll have to transfer my upgrade to her line so she can upgrade. 

At least with TMobile I'd get the exact same coverage that Verizon gives me plus I can buy a phone on a payment plan.  Yes, I'm still paying full retail for the phone, just don't have to pay it all up front.  Plus, being able to upgrade to a phone ANY time I want to and still keep unlimited data.

Gotcha, I could see that as a reason to switch. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Cyber Warrior #8

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 12 '13 @ 12:51 PM

Be careful with those upgrade programs, from my understanding you end up paying twice as much for the phone in the end.

you would be better off buying the phone out right, and then selling it 7 to 8 months later for at least half of the price. Example.. it's going to sound like a lot but this is the Note 3 we are talking about.. Buy the phone for $800,keep it for about 8 months, around the time the Note 4 gets announced.. Sell the Note 3 for ~$400 and pay the difference of $400 for the newer Note 4..which isn't too far off from the subsidized price.

The only catch with this system is, you need to keep your phones in pristine condition to get the best value and you need to repeat the process every 7-8 months.. which means you could also be stuck with a backup device for a month or two after you sell the old and wait for the new.(i find i get the best value right before the newer phone is announced) If you don't have the money at the time, you are better off putting it on a credit card then using those upgrade programs.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Johnny5 #9

Johnny5
  • 89 posts

Posted Nov 14 '13 @ 7:36 AM

Agree. Upgrade programs are more for those that pay full retail anyway. If you are trimming a budget, subsidize. I don't like dicking around on Craig's list and wondering about my information. You can wipe all you want, but it remains. That is why a secure trade in is better IMO. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Updated by Johnny5, Nov 14 '13 @ 7:37 AM.