Started by Jerrod ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Jerrod #1

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Nov 14 '13 @ 3:57 AM

Google Photos

This seems like another gallery app but the pictures seem to be connected to Google+,and you have the option of having them backed up.I am a confused with this app because it is listed in the account sync options but so is something called Google+ photos.
Do I want EVERY photo I take listed under my Google+ Id? What about those pictures I took that I had no business taking? They were safe on my password protected phone,but maybe not now. Of course I don't actually have any of these,but the option was there

ART Developers Option:

My understanding is that this compiles apps into "machine language" during installation instead of having the system do it just in time when you use the app. Seems to be confusion about whether there is any benifit realized under KitKat. Some say the system is faster some day speed increase its being imagined by users.

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 14 '13 @ 8:11 AM

That's a damn good question and one I can't seem to find a straight answer lol.. it's one of those don't ask questions because there's no answer :) ... If I had to guess, Google Photos and the stock gallery app are very similar to the point where you really only need one.. the only main difference is the auto awesome feature which animates similar images/shots taken. I suspect in the future these two gallery apps will be somehow integrated with one another.. There's really no need to have two gallery apps.. one being the Google gallery and the other being the stock manufacturer gallery. Soooo, I believe Google+ backup/sync pulls images from the stock gallery while Google Photos is completely on its own. If you edit a photo in Google Photos, it's saved to that location and wouldn't be backed up under the stock galleries sync option.

If that makes sense, it's kind of confusing.. Just think of it as, Google+ syncs your photos across multiple devices... and then there's two separate gallery apps, stock and Google.. so Google Photos is syncing any changes made using that gallery app only. Most people I think just use the stock gallery app since there's really no difference between the two.. they both can edit and view pics.. Unless you use the auto awesome feature, that would be the only reason to use Google Photos for the time being until they can get these two working together.

Can't comment on ART, don't know much about it.

Edit.. Oh and It's either all or none for backing up photos, hopefully they have an option to choose one day.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Nov 14 '13 @ 8:57 AM

I'll probably just choose the one I like most and disable the other.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Jerrod #4

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 14 '13 @ 2:31 PM

That's a damn good question and one I can't seem to find a straight answer lol.. it's one of those don't ask questions because there's no answer :) ... If I had to guess, Google Photos and the stock gallery app are very similar to the point where you really only need one.. the only main difference is the auto awesome feature which animates similar images/shots taken. I suspect in the future these two gallery apps will be somehow integrated with one another.. There's really no need to have two gallery apps.. one being the Google gallery and the other being the stock manufacturer gallery. Soooo, I believe Google+ backup/sync pulls images from the stock gallery while Google Photos is completely on its own. If you edit a photo in Google Photos, it's saved to that location and wouldn't be backed up under the stock galleries sync option.

If that makes sense, it's kind of confusing.. Just think of it as, Google+ syncs your photos across multiple devices... and then there's two separate gallery apps, stock and Google.. so Google Photos is syncing any changes made using that gallery app only. Most people I think just use the stock gallery app since there's really no difference between the two.. they both can edit and view pics.. Unless you use the auto awesome feature, that would be the only reason to use Google Photos for the time being until they can get these two working together.

Can't comment on ART, don't know much about it.

Edit.. Oh and It's either all or none for backing up photos, hopefully they have an option to choose one day

I think you are correct when saying that if you edit in Google Photos it will not sycn with the gallery, but if you try to delete a photo from Google Photos it will warn you that you are removing it from your device.  It seems like if you use the gallery for anything the photo is transferred to Google Photos, or maybe it use the camera.  Google photos seems to just point at the gallery for it's source.  

I just tried something and now I am really confused.  I turned sync off for Google Photos and I've never had the backup option selected, took two pictures.  When I log on the Google+ from my PC and select photos it is at the set up screen, nothing no pictures show.  If I go to the Google Photos app and slide right for the menu there is what looks like the Google plus home menu and there are photos displayed under it. so I guess my pictures are not really in Google Plus they are just under this menu that looks like a Google Plus menu.

Now I just don't know what to think.

Jerrod #5

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 15 '13 @ 7:21 AM

Print

When I heard about this I was excited.  The ability to print from my phone to my printer.  Well not so fast.  You are going to print as long as you have a hp or other cloud enabled printer. 

Thing is I have a wireless printer on my desk.  I have my desktop Chrome browser configured for cloud print but it requires the PC to be on and interfacing with Chrome to print from it, or the PC can communicate to the printer via wifi for anything else.

I tried to print with the options from the phone but nothing.  Then as soon as I turned on my PC and started Chrome browser there was the document I was trying to print from the phone.

My Chrome browser is configured for my printer so I wish the print function from the phone would recognize the wireless printer on my wifi network and simply print to it.  I had to select the printer in the set up function in Chrome and I think the same thing should be done in the phone print function...select a printer....let the required driver be downloaded to the phone and go.

I have a Canon app that I use to print pictures from my phone and that's how it works without the PC turned on, so its not like it can't be done

Photopaul65 #6

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Nov 16 '13 @ 5:03 AM

I think it's Google reverting a bit back to the "throw it out there and we'll fix it later" approach. I can't figure it out either. Sync is nice, especially when I take photos for ebay or Etsy, but when I'm taking everyday shots, it's a pain to have to go back through my phone AND Google+ to delete all the crap shots. And you have to do both, because if you only delete shots from G+, the crap on your phone will re-sync sometimes. I'd like an option of the shots just going to the Gallery app, then picking the ones I want to send to the G+ photos app for syncing.

And yes, cloud printing is very hit and miss outside a manufacturers app/printer combination.

Jerrod #7

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 16 '13 @ 3:03 PM

I think it's Google reverting a bit back to the "throw it out there and we'll fix it later" approach. I can't figure it out either. Sync is nice, especially when I take photos for ebay or Etsy, but when I'm taking everyday shots, it's a pain to have to go back through my phone AND Google+ to delete all the crap shots. And you have to do both, because if you only delete shots from G+, the crap on your phone will re-sync sometimes. I'd like an option of the shots just going to the Gallery app, then picking the ones I want to send to the G+ photos app for syncing.

And yes, cloud printing is very hit and miss outside a manufacturers app/printer combination.

I turned Sync off for Google Photos and Google+ Photos.  I am hoping this stops the photos from going at least until I can manage them but I am not sure if this works or not.

Jerrod #8

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 16 '13 @ 3:11 PM

Ok I just logged on to Google+ and checked photos and was presented with a screen that says that we can now view photos we have uploaded to our Drive account.   Files that have a JPEG or other photo suffix will be selected.  We can also select those that we do not want to see on Google+

I am in Photo overload.  I don't understand what I am doing with the app on my camera, I don't understand what to do with the photos that may go from my phone to the camera, and now I have photos coming in from my Drive folders.

I am too tired to think about it.  Maybe next week. 

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 16 '13 @ 3:54 PM

For managing which photos get uploaded...
One thing you can do if you don't use wifi often is.. Set the backup to wifi only.. Then you can delete the crap photos first and when ready to backup the good ones, turn wifi back on... Actually better yet just keep the sync off until you are ready to backup the good photos and then shut off the sync when done.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Jerrod #10

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 17 '13 @ 8:33 AM

So far I have Sync turned off until I figure out what the H..I want to do.  I don't think any of this is a bad idea and most likely it is a good one, but I need time to figure out what I want from all of these options.

This is brain work for next week.....not on a weekend.