Photo

Battery life is suddenly dreadful (6-7 hours tops!)

Started by cmersman ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

cmersman #1

cmersman
  • 34 posts
  • Device: Galaxy S3 GT-i9300 (CM 10.2)

Posted Nov 20 '13 @ 11:37 AM

So this had been an issue before, I got Greenify and WakeLockDetector and found out facebook and one of my widget apps were causing crazy battery drain. I hibernate them, and all is good.

Recently, this has started happening again and these apps are already hibernated. Here is a few screen shots to see if any ideas can be presented. The phone is staying awake almost 100% of the time

Disclaimer: My Exchange shows heavy use during the day, I get 100's of emails, but I get the same battery drain at night when I get maybe 2-3 emails over a 10 hour period. 

Any help is appreciated, I think i've exhausted my ideas without a factory reset. I noticed my Android System is running higher than what most peoples is

Attached Files

Ahowe125 #2

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Nov 20 '13 @ 11:49 AM

Calling out @Cyber Warrior only because you had a GS3/GS4 and may have some ideas. I've been talking with Carl here today trying to figure it out, but am not sure why its using up so much resources. Mine on the HTC One is a quite a bit lower then his. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 20 '13 @ 12:54 PM

Facebook doesn't surprise me. The Exchange email, even though you're not getting as many emails overnight, is still running and doing its thing, but I don't see that alone being an issue.

Question.. Are you on 4.3 or 4.2? I've yet to upgrade to 4.3 on my GS4 because of the complaints. Also can you open up the Android System and take a screenshot of the running services? I'm curious to see what you have... with all the crap Samsung installed on this device, it's hard to say but even when I was running completely stock, I was getting pretty good battery life.

And you say the problem went away after uninstalling FB.. but eventually came back? I just want to rule out the battery itself.. these lithium ion batteries are rated around 300-400 charges.. with the GS3 already being more then a year old, you're probably pretty close to its recommended life cycle.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

cmersman #4

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Nov 20 '13 @ 1:16 PM

I didn't uninstall FB, I just hibernated it with Greenify. The issue went away and has been gone for a few months. My phone is still fairly new, I only got it about 7-8 months ago and charge once per day. I'd say I would be nearing 200 charges. 

I am still on 4.1.2

Seems to be a lot of services under Android System

EDIT: I also noticed my Google Services has 3.5 hours of awake time on 7 hours of battery, SS attached

Attached Files

Updated by cmersman, Nov 20 '13 @ 1:19 PM.

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 21 '13 @ 8:45 AM

I just checked my Google Services.. While my phone is only discharged for 1hr 52m.. My awake time for services is 1hr 45m.

IDK.. I don't really have any recommendations since every person uses their phone different. It's hard to guess what the cause would be. If it's Google Services, there's so many things that could be syncing causing the problem. I have three accounts on my phone.. 2 just have Gmail synced while my main account has everything checked off except for Picasa Web albums, music, movies and books.

I'll look around to see if I can find any other users with similar issues.. but as with all users who post screenshots of their battery life claiming it's either poor or amazing, it doesn't really mean anything because everyone has different setups and usage behavior.

tacsig513.png

cmersman #6

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 6:06 AM

On that note, I rarely use my phone. I mean it does receive my emails all day long but I never check them on the phone. I would estimate  20 minutes of screen time per day. 

Cyber Warrior #7

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 6:26 AM

You're not rooted are you? So if you did have to wipe the phone at least you could back things up.

Are you on 4.3 or 4.2?

tacsig513.png

cmersman #8

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 9:20 AM

I am rooted, on 4.1.2

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 10:24 AM

Wow you guys didn't get 4.2 yet? I'm guessing they're skipping over 4.2 and pushing 4.3 out instead, once the bugs are fixed?

As for the battery, I'm kind of out of ideas being you know the phone best. What I would probably do is try clearing the cache, dalvik cache in recovery. Maybe try wiping the battery stats?? Or if you don't use all the pre-installed Samsung/Verizon crap.. debloat the phone. Other than that you can try a fresh install if you don't mind wiping the device.

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #10

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 10:54 AM

Wow you guys didn't get 4.2 yet? I'm guessing they're skipping over 4.2 and pushing 4.3 out instead, once the bugs are fixed?

He has an international unlocked GS3 on ATT. Thought he mentioned that 4.2 was available, but didn't want to wipe clean to install it. It could be a good reason now to start fresh.  

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Cyber Warrior #11

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 11:01 AM

My Google Services have been really high lately also but I contribute that to I've recently started using Google Now which requires locations to be on.. before, I would always keep any type of tracking turned off.

tacsig513.png

cmersman #12

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 12:41 PM

So ... very odd. I did a factory reset (from system settings) and now that it has finished.. my Phone now shows as a Galaxy Nexus .................... 

Weird!!!

Going to flash a stock rom tonight.. 

• Ahowe125 likes this

Cyber Warrior #13

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 22 '13 @ 12:46 PM

WTF O_o? Lol.. that's crazy . No wonder you were getting bad battery life, your phone thinks it's a GNex :P
  • Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

cmersman #14

cmersman
  • 34 posts

Posted Nov 25 '13 @ 5:35 AM

WTF O_o? Lol.. that's crazy . No wonder you were getting bad battery life, your phone thinks it's a GNex :P

So alittle more on this, now that my phone thinks it's a Nexus -- I went 2 full days without having to recharge this weekend. All the same apps, nothing has changed other than that restore.