2012 Nexus 7 updated to KitKat but...

Started by Jerrod ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Jerrod #1

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Nov 23 '13 @ 11:27 AM

It updated to KitKat today but everything looked the same. I have the printing options, but there is no Google Now on the left screen, no way to add Additional screens,you add the widgets the same way, and the app drawer has the same black background.

Perhaps the update does not bring along the Google Experience launcher.

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 23 '13 @ 11:31 AM

You need the search update if you didn't get it yet.. then the GEL.
http://forums.theand...ll-outs/?p=8961
  • Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Ahowe125 #3

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Nov 23 '13 @ 11:45 AM

You need the search update if you didn't get it yet.. then the GEL.
http://forums.theand...ll-outs/?p=8961

Good to know, my 2013 N7 has not been offered the update yet, but I'll check with this when it does.

Sent from my Verizon GPE HTC One via Tapatalk

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Jerrod #4

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 24 '13 @ 5:50 AM

I don't understand this.
I have an up to date search app.
If the GE launcher was supposed to be included with the KitKat update wouldn't Google have sent it along with the update?

Do you think there is a reason it was not included?

Can the GE launcher be obtained from the play store yet or will it not be available?

Just kind of bewildering.

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 24 '13 @ 7:53 AM

The Google Experience Launcher was announced exclusive to the Nexus 5 as well as some other features. From what I've been reading, the Nexus 5 has a lock on a few KitKat features not found on other devices,, Nexus 7/10, Moto X. Supposedly the smart dialer feature is missing on the Moto X update and the transparent notification bar on the Nexus 7.. although my tablet has it (maybe it's just the 2012?). But once we all received the newest Google Search update 3.1.8, it was discovered that the GEL could be sideloaded onto any device running Android 4.1+. It's been reported that a future update could bring it to all compatible devices, but for now a few of the features are exclusive to the N5 only.. maybe to boost sales?? Like every other Google app, I would imagine the GEL will be available in the Play Store.. but until then, you'll have to side load it.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #6

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 24 '13 @ 11:26 AM

Thanks Cyber

I have the N5 and really like GEL, but I think I will wait until Google makes it available for my N7

Updated by Jerrod, Nov 24 '13 @ 11:27 AM.

C Sab #7

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Nov 24 '13 @ 1:14 PM

Still haven't gotten it on my Nexus 10 yet. -_-

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

Treknologist #8

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Nov 24 '13 @ 3:38 PM

Still waiting to get the update on my N4 and N7.  Looks like the N5 will arrive before my N4 gets the update to KitKat!

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 24 '13 @ 5:14 PM

I waited for about 4-5 days for the update, got impatient so I sideloaded the OTA file.. a few days later I received an OTA but it was for the smaller update that followed KitKat. I'm glad I didn't wait because I have a feeling I'd still be waiting... All I gotta say is the N7 runs awesome with KitKat :)

tacsig513.png

C Sab #10

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 24 '13 @ 5:22 PM

I'm honestly getting closer to sideloading it. This will be a first for me. I've never had to wait this long.

Cyber Warrior #11

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 24 '13 @ 5:29 PM

Yeah, it was the first I ever side loaded an update.. Not so bad if you have ADB setup already on your computer. The hardest part for me was trying to figure out how to get the device into the recovery mode for sideloading.. Once you're in the stock recovery, you have to press volume up + power again in order to get to the sideload options. The instructions I followed left that part out and I spent an hour trying to figure it out.

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #12

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 25 '13 @ 4:10 AM

I waited for about 4-5 days for the update, got impatient so I sideloaded the OTA file.. a few days later I received an OTA but it was for the smaller update that followed KitKat. I'm glad I didn't wait because I have a feeling I'd still be waiting... All I gotta say is the N7 runs awesome with KitKat :)

Are you using GEL?. if I decide to use Gel it loads just like any other launcher?

Cyber Warrior #13

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 25 '13 @ 5:17 AM

Yep, using GEL. Works great, installs like any other app.. except it's not from the Play Store.. yet. Just downloaded the apk.. click on the downloaded file and choose install (unknown sources needs to be checked in security settings). It acts like any other 3rd party launcher, can be switched using the home button or settings menu and can be uninstalled like any other app.

The only issue I've noticed so far is when I'm in the Play Store and press Home.. the Google Search/Launcher force closes for a second, then re-opens. That's the only bug so far.. I don't know if that's a bug that I'm just having or if it's a bug on all devices but other than that, GEL works flawless, same as the Nexus 5.

Screenshot_2013-11-25-08-14-10-picsay.jpg Screenshot_2013-11-25-08-12-26-picsay.jpg

tacsig513.png

Lee Bo #14

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Nov 25 '13 @ 4:49 PM

My 2012 N7 is KitKatofied (sideloaded) and I also sideloaded GEL and really like it.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

C Sab #15

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Nov 25 '13 @ 5:13 PM

Yeah, it was the first I ever side loaded an update.. Not so bad if you have ADB setup already on your computer. The hardest part for me was trying to figure out how to get the device into the recovery mode for sideloading.. Once you're in the stock recovery, you have to press volume up + power again in order to get to the sideload options. The instructions I followed left that part out and I spent an hour trying to figure it out.

Well I got the OTA today O now I don't need to. :P

Treknologist #16

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Nov 25 '13 @ 5:20 PM

My N7 finally got the OTA update today.  :)  My N5 also arrived today. Now I just need my N4 to get the update.  :)

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Jerrod #17

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 26 '13 @ 7:15 PM

Here is another BUT, and it applies to the N7 and N5

I went to a restaurant web site on my N5 , wanted to view their lunch and dinner menus selected them and they were downloaded.  I have done this before on my N7  and GNEX so no big deal.

I went to the download app in the drawer opened the menus which where in PDF format, read them and was done.  I next tried to delete them.  I cannot find any option to delete in this download app.  If I select a picture I am offered an option to pick the app to view them in, but for this there is no app the PDF just opens.  I can do all manner of things, print, share, view it differently, rotate - no delete.

When I select help I am taken to quickoffice help telling me to select the trash can....except there is no trash can these screens.

I have Astro File manager so opened it, then selected the download folder.  It opened in this same app as was used in the download app and still no way to delete.

Went to my N7 download app, selected some previous PDFs and same thing.  Same app...no way to delete.

I am stumped.  Both devices are turned off and charging and I won't use them again until tomarrow morning  but now I am wondering if there is some default set that is forcing the PDFs to open in whatever app this is. 

Cyber Warrior #18

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 26 '13 @ 7:27 PM

In the download app or any/most other file managers..just long press on the file to bring up more options..like delete.

What app are the pdf's opening in? Is it Quick Office? If so just clear the default in the settings for manage apps..if you want the option for other PDF viewers. Or it could just be that you only have one PDF client installed and that's why you are not seeing any other options for other PDF apps.

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #19

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 27 '13 @ 8:06 AM

Ok I have sort of solved this, but what a mess it was.  In 4.0 and 4.3 you could go to the download app select the file or PDF and just delete it, Or you could long press and be given an list of apps to open it.  In 4.4 when you go to download apps and press the PDF or document you want it immediately opens in in quick office.  There is no dialogue giving you the choice of what to use. Once in the quick office that is installed on the device  there is no way to delete the document you are using.  You can print it, rotate it and do one thousand other things but not edit it or delete it.  I have quickoffice pro on my tablet and it will allow you to edit, delete...everything....but not this included version.

If I  use an external file editor like Astro of Es and you press on the file you are taken right to quick office.  With help from others I found that if you are in ES or Astro and long press the file you will then get options to delete or edit at the bottom of the screen.

What confused me was that in the old download app, you could delete the file right from there.

Something else.  I went to Quick office app in the setting menu with the intention of disabling it.  Once I selected disable I was asked if I wanted to use the Factory application instead.

I don't know what this means, so I left the setting menu.  I am wondering if the factory app is the actual app that quickoffice has developed instead of the app that is streamlined and automatically included with KitKat.

Very confusing and I was not at all happy yesterday. 

Jerrod #20

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 8 '13 @ 5:40 PM

Decided to install the GEL on my 2012 Nexus 7. Now I feel better. All is happy. Interesting that it kept my original screen setup, folder content wallpaper and everthing
  • Cyber Warrior likes this

Jerrod #21

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 9 '13 @ 3:12 AM

In the download app or any/most other file managers..just long press on the file to bring up more options..like delete.
What app are the pdf's opening in? Is it Quick Office? If so just clear the default in the settings for manage apps..if you want the option for other PDF viewers. Or it could just be that you only have one PDF client installed and that's why you are not seeing any other options for other PDF apps.

Yeah long press works brings the options up. I don't know why I didn't remember this, but I guess everything was different and logic flew above my brain at that moment

Jerrod #22

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 12:13 PM

I accepted the update to 4.4.1 for my 2012 N7.  Downloaded it, got busy then turned the tablet off.  I turned it back on yesterday.  The thing is the GEL is only displaying two screens.

It will display Google Now to the left and one other screen to the right.  All of my apps there were on the screens to the right will not appear because the screen will not scroll right.

This is minor in the world of execution because the apps are still in the app drawer however you cannot move an app from the drawer to any screen except the first one. You cannot move anything from the main screen right because there are no other screens to move to.  I just returned to the stock launcher

Anyone else see this or is it just me.

Cyber Warrior #23

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 12:47 PM

The way KitKat works with Homescreens has changed. You will only have two, Google Now on the left and one main Homescreen. The new way of adding more screens is you have to add or take an app icon or widget from the main Homescreen and long press and hold it to the right edge of the screen.. this creates a new homescreen. Same applies for adding more screens.

There's nothing wrong with your tablet/launcher.. this is how Google changed the way of adding new screens.. I'm not sure why and I find it more confusing, especially if you didn't know about it.. but this is the new way of doing things.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #24

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 1:08 PM

The way KitKat works with Homescreens has changed. You will only have two, Google Now on the left and one main Homescreen. The new way of adding more screens is you have to add or take an app icon or widget from the main Homescreen and long press and hold it to the right edge of the screen.. this creates a new homescreen. Same applies for adding more screens.

There's nothing wrong with your tablet/launcher.. this is how Google changed the way of adding new screens.. I'm not sure why and I find it more confusing, especially if you didn't know about it.. but this is the new way of doing things.

interesting way of doing things, kinda sounds like they took a page from Apple/Sense using Google Now as the far left, and making all other pages go to the right. That's how both of them do things. 

My N7 is now on 4.4.2 and I use Nova so I did not experience this home screen thing. Maybe I'll have to give the GEL a chance and see how I like it. I don't use Google Now all that much, so I'll most likely end up sticking to Nova. 

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |

Jerrod #25

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 1:46 PM

. Did you get updated to 4.4.1 and have GEL installed? If so then there is something wrong with mine … Maybe my seizure meds are acting up. When I tried to move an icon to the right screen the highlights showed on the right and I was a unable to slide right. I also tried to place an app from the drawer on a right screen and it would only go the the left one.

I'll try again later. Wow what days I am having. Now I see that you are using nova. Please excuse my question

Updated by Jerrod, Dec 13 '13 @ 1:52 PM.

Cyber Warrior #26

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 2:34 PM

@Jerrod.. Yes I was on stock 4.1 with the GE Launcher. I just updated to a custom stock ROM, using CLEANROM 4.4.2

Another small update was released, the newest version is 4.4.2 if you haven't gotten it yet.

Using GEL on my N7 and Nova on my S4.

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #27

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 3:54 PM

Going to try it again because like I said it might be me!

Jerrod #28

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 4:09 PM

OK set to GEL,rebooted and no go.Google now on left screen one home screen on right. Switched back. It's ok. I can certainly use tablet with it's original launcher.

Cyber Warrior #29

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 5:42 PM

Hmm... maybe its a bug with the 2012 version. I just realized thats what you have.. I'm using the 2013. I'll check around and see if there are any other reports about the launcher having bugs on the 2012.

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #30

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Dec 13 '13 @ 5:47 PM

Hmm... maybe its a bug with the 2012 version. I just realized thats what you have.. I'm using the 2013. I'll check around and see if there are any other reports about the launcher having bugs on the 2012.

Same here, lol mine is also the 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4