Photo

What do you do with your phone at night?

Started by Ahowe125 ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Poll: Your Phone while you sleep (11 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you do with your phone at night?

1. Nothing, let it ring away (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Just set it to vibrate only (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. Pure silence, I don't want to wake up (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

4. Special Program? I only wan't to hear certain things (describe below) (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

5. Turn the phone off, who needs a phone while I sleep? (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Please Login To Vote:

Ahowe125 #1

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 7:14 AM

I've been meaning to post something about this for a month or so. 

When I used my Razr Maxx I used a program called Bedside (Night Clock) which was nice because it displayed a Dim clock on the screen and only allowed Phone calls and text messages from people I added to my whitelist. 

But now on the HTC it does not turn off the LED lights under the buttons, and its much to bright to be used like I did with the Maxx. 

So I'm trying to figure out what to do with my phone at night. I don't want to hear every time I get a new forum notification or every email I get all night. But I do want to hear when someone calls me or select people text me. 

What does everyone do and what suggestions do you have to try?

Updated by Ahowe125, Feb 8 '14 @ 11:06 AM.

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 7:44 AM

I stopped using Bedside during my GNex days after I discovered I had screen burn in of the clock.

What about using Daydream? It's built into the default settings and allows you to use the clock as a daydream app.. which I just discovered that the clock periodically fades and moves around to prevent burn in.. Only problem is I don't think it has a white list.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Ahowe125 #3

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 7:49 AM

I guess I should add that I'm not overly worried about the clock function as I am the volume and options for notifications. My Fiancé hates when my phone goes off at night waking our 8 month old son. But I dont like silencing the entire phone.

Sent from my Verizon GPE HTC One via Tapatalk

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 7:58 AM

Just found this app:https://play.google....juice.dockclock

The plus version has an option for One owners that turns off the hardware buttons from lighting up when docked. I see it has a night mode for adjusting the audio levels but don't think it has a white list either.

Seems the hardware keys is an HTC One problem.. Just gotta find something that has a white list and a clock app that fixes the Ones keys from lighting up.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #5

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 8:03 AM

In your situation.. you might need two apps to get the results you want.. A profile app that has a night mode with a white list and then a clock/alarm app like the one I linked above which will disable the HTC One keys from lighting up.

tacsig513.png

Treknologist #6

Treknologist
  • 128 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Transformer Pad TF701T

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 8:08 AM

I either silence my phone or leave it several rooms away. 

I choose Android...it's only logical.  VulcanSalute_zps9ab5f775.gif

TreknologistBanner2_zps4447248b.png

Cyber Warrior #7

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 8:19 AM

I'm surprised Android hasn't implented a default profile manager app by now. I remember my BlackBerry had one and did a great job at it. I discovered the Bedside app back in the day because when I switched from a BB, I missed having a built in bedside mode... Bedside app was one that was recommended for reproducing the features that BlackBerry used. Hopefully a future Android update will add this as a feature.. but I've been saying this since the Froyo days.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #8

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 8:25 AM

I'm surprised Android hasn't implented a default profile manager app by now. I remember my BlackBerry had one and did a great job at it. I discovered the Bedside app back in the day because when I switched from a BB, I missed having a built in bedside mode... Bedside app was one that was recommended for reproducing the features that BlackBerry used. Hopefully a future Android update will add this as a feature.. but I've been saying this since the Froyo days.

This is exactly the same thing I went though. My BB Storm 2 had the built in bedside mode so when I plugged it in at night it automatically silenced everything except incoming phone calls. I also found Bedside when I first got my Droid X and wanted the same functions. I never did have a problem with screen burn in, but that issue crossed my mind with the HTC. 

I would rather the screen and button lights just be off, so as long as I was able to find a app to manage the sounds I would be happy. Thanks for doing your initial searches, I still may give that app you posted a shot. 

C Sab #9

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 9:18 AM

I used that profile feature on my Blackberry, and now I just leave my android on my bedside table on silent.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Ahowe125 #10

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 11:18 AM

Well I did some searching and I did find Sound Profile, which seems to get me what I want at night/ after I set it up. Allows me to mute everything except for phone calls. I can deal without the whitelist for text messages if needed. It does also have the option to load an app on profile activation, so maybe I'll end up loading both like you said. 

I tried 3 or 4 different apps before I found this one. Most of them did not give the option to split the notifications from the phone call volume as the stock system keeps them together on the newer versions of Android. This app still managed to do it though. 

Still interested in knowing what everyone does, as you may have another option I have not found yet. 

Jerrod #11

Jerrod
  • 265 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2012 tablet

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 1:05 PM

My action is not listed in the poll so I will mention it here.  For ever my action at night is to turn the phone completely off and put it on the charger.  I like to start each day with a rebooted clean system so I get this by turning it off completely off.

With the N5 I was  trying to determine battery performance so some nights I left the phone on.  Other nights I would turn the phone off but not put it on a charger.

My usual and prefered action   is to turn the thing off and put it on a charger.....then go to bed.

• Cory Streater and Ahowe125 like this

Ahowe125 #12

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 1:58 PM

My action is not listed in the poll so I will mention it here.  For ever my action at night is to turn the phone completely off and put it on the charger.  I like to start each day with a rebooted clean system so I get this by turning it off completely off.

With the N5 I was  trying to determine battery performance so some nights I left the phone on.  Other nights I would turn the phone off but not put it on a charger.

My usual and prefered action   is to turn the thing off and put it on a charger.....then go to bed.

I added that option just for you. :-)

I also like to have a fresh phone in the morning, so every morning before I pull it off the power I restart it using my modified power menu from my ROM. 

Cyber Warrior #13

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 3:58 PM

I was using the Bedside app and turning off all notifications except from important/emergency contacts. Ever since my burn in problem I've been just leaving the phone as be.. I don't get as many notifications at night like I used to in the past. Some nights I'll snooze my Hangouts app but that's about it..... If notifications ever become excessive at night again, I'll use the night mode found in 4.3+ or some other sound manager.

tacsig513.png

Jerrod #14

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Nov 30 '13 @ 9:09 PM

I added that option just for you. :-)

I also like to have a fresh phone in the morning, so every morning before I pull it off the power I restart it using my modified power menu from my ROM. 

Thanks I voted!

Cory Streater #15

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Dec 1 '13 @ 10:40 PM

My problem is that I turn everything off and forget to turn it back on again.

I've gotten better lately though because I have to be alert in the event a certain person calls.

Looks like there are some profile apps that can accomplish the task: Sound Profile, Profile Scheduler, and Smart Profiles - to name a few. I'm too lazy to set all that up though ;)

Cyber Warrior #16

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 2 '13 @ 5:25 AM

My problem is that I turn everything off and forget to turn it back on again.
I've gotten better lately though because I have to be alert in the event a certain person calls.
Looks like there are some profile apps that can accomplish the task: Sound Profile, Profile Scheduler, and Smart Profiles - to name a few. I'm too lazy to set all that up though ;)

Same lol.. I'm also too paranoid I'll forget to switch the profile back when it's morning... unless maybe if they set automatic.. I'd still probably be paranoid and constantly checking the settings every two minutes.. cough OCD.. I'm already checking my volume levels every two seconds,, no need to obsess over more things to double check :P

tacsig513.png

Ahowe125 #17

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Dec 2 '13 @ 7:18 AM

Sound Profile

So for a few days now I have been using the above app, and it seems to handle a few of my requirements. 

The problem with just setting the phone to silent or vibrate, is that I only want my phone calls to ring through at night for emergency purposes. But because the new versions of Android forces notifications and ringers on the same volume, I couldn't do it manually though the the stock settings. 

This app is kinda nice in that you can adjust the profiles, and even have it change other system settings (like wifi, bluetooth) and also change your background. So when I have it on the "Calls Only" setting, it changes my background to all black since its normally at night when I use it. It also has an Icon in the status bar to let me know which profile I'm using. 

It does not have the white-list for text messaging like I wanted, but I can live without that. 

Jerrod #18

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 2:31 PM

I think I read someplace(always thinking something that I didn't) that the batteries in our phones are designed for a finite number of charges and once that is hit the battery is done.  Is this true?  If so is it still a good idea to charge my phone battery  every night even if the battery does not need to be?

Updated by Jerrod, Dec 7 '13 @ 2:31 PM.

C Sab #19

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 3:01 PM

I think I read someplace(always thinking something that I didn't) that the batteries in our phones are designed for a finite number of charges and once that is hit the battery is done. Is this true? If so is it still a good idea to charge my phone battery every night even if the battery does not need to be?

I do. That's the benefit of having a backup. When that one craps out, you have a fresh one.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk 4

Cyber Warrior #20

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 7:01 PM

I remember reading a specific number also.. I forget what it is but I remember it was around a years worth of charging if you charge once a day.. so maybe 365-400??? I don't pay any attention but then again I don't think I've ever kept the same phone for more than a year.. If I did notice a drastic decline, I would definitely replace the battery though.

tacsig513.png

C Sab #21

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 8:10 PM

My 3VO has long since hit that decline. When data/Wifi is on, I swear this fucking thing is lucky to last 2 hours.

wyndslash #22

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Dec 8 '13 @ 3:55 AM

It's certainly a relief to have a removable battery. I charge my phone twice a day simply because I play games on it for hours :P

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Jerrod #23

Jerrod
  • 265 posts

Posted Dec 8 '13 @ 11:43 AM

I remember reading a specific number also.. I forget what it is but I remember it was around a years worth of charging if you charge once a day.. so maybe 365-400??? I don't pay any attention but then again I don't think I've ever kept the same phone for more than a year.. If I did notice a drastic decline, I would definitely replace the battery though.

It might be more than this because I charged my previous phone everynight and the battery in it is fine. I keep my phones for multiple years and I want to keep my N5 like this as well, so from now on I will  only charge it when the battery is really low.

Updated by Jerrod, Dec 8 '13 @ 11:45 AM.

Lee Bo #24

Lee Bo
  • Android Addict
  • 242 posts
  • Device: Currently rocking the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted Dec 18 '13 @ 12:55 PM

Alarm on, sound off, see you in the morning.

Twitter: @Android_Lee

Christopher Coleman #25

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 4:42 AM

Set alarm, possibly a podcast and go to sleep. I don't silence my phone; it stresses me out knowing I won't hear my phone if something messed up happens.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk

wyndslash #26

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 7:10 AM

Read, play games, don't sleep. Regret next morning lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ahowe125 #27

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 7:35 AM

Set alarm, possibly a podcast and go to sleep. I don't silence my phone; it stresses me out knowing I won't hear my phone if something messed up happens.

Sent from my XT908 using Tapatalk

See I'm kinda the same way about phone calls. It's my only phone in the house besides my fiancé's.

Sent from my Verizon GPE HTC One via Tapatalk

Ahowe125 #28

Ahowe125
  • 260 posts

Posted Dec 29 '13 @ 11:02 AM

Just an update, I'm still using Sound Profile, and it seems to do the job. When I'm getting ready for bed(or any time I want it quiet), I set it to calls only and it is nice and quiet all night long. It actually gives you quite a bit of control. 

Photopaul65 #29

Photopaul65
  • Be a fan, not a fanboy
  • 60 posts
  • Device: A soon to be retired GNex

Posted Jan 3 '14 @ 11:27 AM

I leave mine on with notifications sounds off and the ringer set low. I figure if someone calls me at 2 am, it's an emergency. It damn well better be anyway, for their sake!

Beezy #30

Beezy
  • 9 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 10:46 AM

I never turn down the volume at night. You never know when you might get a call that is something you need to handle or be a part of,I use to put mine on vibrate but not anymore everyone knows that if you call me at night it better be for a good reason. I have set all other apps g+,gmail,etc to only vibrate. It got very annoying having to look at my phone just for a email so only text and phone calls ring my phone.