Photo

Google vs Microsoft

Started by C Sab ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

C Sab #1

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Dec 2 '13 @ 9:13 AM

So I'm sure everyone here knows about or at least has heard about Microsoft recently starting a smear campaign against Google that they call "Scroogled" (basically a combo of Google and screwed). When I say they're smearing Google, I mean they're going after everything Google has: from it's Chromebooks to the search engine itself and blasting Google for stealing user data for their own gain, and other such wrongful acts.

This doesn't seem to be working however as most people have merely been laughing at MS for even daring to think that this would ever have any success but what do you think?

Me personally, I agree with the majority. Honestly, this is something a politician would stoop too which shows Microsoft hitting a new low. Not to mention Microsoft has been caught doing the same stuff they're accusing Google of doing, but the difference is that Google has been using that data to IMPROVE their services for those users and the users know that while MS on the other hand clearly hasn't been doing the same as Windows 8 has many of the same issues that WIndows has had since Windows 98.

Also, if there's one thing I know is that this proves one thing: Microsoft is scared of Google. I mean this isn't from bashing the Google search engine which on it's own is just moronic, as it's been the #1 internet search tool for decades, long before Microsoft's Bing came out and honestly who the fuck have you seen these days ask someone something and when that person didn't know the person who asked would say "I'll just Bing it"? Answer: no-one. No-one has ever said that. I've tried Bing, half the results were on the other side of the planet from the results Google search gave me and not in a good way.

No, the fear comes from the fact that they're bashing Chromebooks which have such little market share, and the fact that they're meant to be niche products, not mainstream devices like Windows laptops. So why is MS scared of them? Because they've been slowly gaining popularity and many Windows laptop users have actually been replacing their machines with a Chromebook......and preferring them! Despite the fact that Chromebooks are limited to their browser OS it has some major advantages over Windows, and Macs too which share some (but not many) of the issues Windows laptops do (despite Mac users' constant attempt to deny this fact) and while Chromebooks are currently just a niche product and will possibly be a niche product forever, you can't deny the stats: it's a niche that more and more people over time are glad to see being filled. And let's be honest, any success by Microsoft even now isn't because of their mobile devices that's for sure (lol) so Google is pretty much hitting them where it hurts.

So in conclusion I say this: Maybe you don't have much to be afraid of Microsoft in terms of Chromebooks (at least not yet, if ever), but they and the rest of Google services are here to stay and most of them are far superior to your own. And people know it.

Updated by C Sab, Dec 3 '13 @ 8:07 AM.

wyndslash #2

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 2:49 AM

I'm just tired of the ever-long "updating" process that my Windows laptop is subjected to almost every week now. 

It would look better for Microsoft if they would indeed just focus on improving their products. But I wouldn't even know where to begin.

They have to build a better ecosystem wherein users would be willing to be locked in, like Apple/Google/ Amazon (to a certain degree with their Kindle Fire tablets). The lack of apps on their WP app store is certainly damaging, though. Microsoft should not let themselves become irrelevant. It might not be an overnight process, but with Google advancing its Chromebook army, Microsoft's armor is slowly getting chipped away.

C Sab #3

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 9:50 AM

The problem with Windows updates isn't how often we have to go through with them, it's that they're pointless. It's all useless shit that never seems to make any difference in performance, battery life, etc. I could completely turn off WIndows Updates and never lose out on anything.

wyndslash #4

wyndslash
  • 225 posts
  • Device: Galaxy Note 2

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 5:35 PM

If my mom didn't need a specific program (Windows only), I'd switch her to a chromebook.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

C Sab #5

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Dec 7 '13 @ 7:17 PM

Yeah, that would be good. I already would have if I didn't use Steam.