Photo

*** ~ Beginners' Questions, Please ~ ***

Started by droidiscute9461 ,

Best Answer Cyber Warrior , Dec 19 '13 @ 8:58 AM

Cory covered everything pretty well but I'll add my two cents.

I'm new and I have almost never used my phone. Could anyone be so kind as to help me with some of these problems and questions?

Links to good guides would be great!

~ Apps ~

* Apps that you delete are still showing up when you press the application icon
** How to fix?

How are you deleting these apps? Are you uninstalling them or just removing the icons from the homescreen (which doesn't uninstall)

* What is the best way to dl apps without a google account?

Without a Google account, I would recommend Amazons app store like Cory mentioned.. however setting up a Google account is free and will make things a whole lot easier... Android is based off Googles services so having an account is beneficial.

* How can you transfer apps from your computer to your phone?

** Getting apps on the phone isn't very easy (small screen, hard to type, tabs of apps already on the laptop), so it's better to just transfer it from the computer to the phone.

Again like Cory mentioned AirDroid.. but its a lot easier if you would just set up a Google account and use Googles Play Store for downloading apps straight from your phone.

How do you know which apps needs wifi so that it works? (I have no data plan, almost never used the phone)
** The apps doesn't say "needs wifi/data connection" or "works offline"

Without a data plan, you would most definitely need wifi.. in fact you really should have a data plan, a smartphone without a data plan is almost useless to a degree.. you can get away with using wifi to a certain extent but its not very practical. Pretty much any app that syncs/updates different intervals throughout the day.. Email, weather services, navigation, music/video streaming and so on.. it really depends on what you have installed and setup. 

* From the google play app, I'm trying to dl my first app -- mapfactor play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator

Not sure whats going on there.. you said you have no Google account  :confused:  but you're trying to download Google apps from your phone which does require a Google account. Like Cory mentioned. Google Maps with Navigator which is already built into your phone is the best option.

* How can you increase the wifi signal strength?** It's very low

Nothing to do with the phone but your homes router/public wifi hotspot

** Others had different problems like couldn't connect, or random disconnection after the upgrade

*** One said 4.0.4 wasn't playing nice with an older router
**** Maybe upgrading would make things better

Not an Epic user either so can't comment on that one but yes upgrading would probably help.

Go to the full post

• Sign In To Reply:  

droidiscute9461 #1

droidiscute9461
  • 10 posts

Posted Dec 17 '13 @ 10:44 PM

I'm new and I have almost never used my phone. Could anyone be so kind as to help me with some of these problems and questions?

~ Apps ~

** How to fix?

** Getting apps on the phone isn't very easy (small screen, hard to type, tabs of apps already on the laptop), so it's better to just transfer it from the computer to the phone.

* How do you know which apps needs wifi so that it works? (I have no data plan, almost never used the phone)

* From the google play app, I'm trying to dl my first app -- mapfactor play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator
** but on the phone, when I search for it, I can't find it. It says "no results found"
*** When I go to Apps, there's another a few "top" ones. I can't all of them or a list.
*** Also, when I go to Apps > Categories > Travel & Local > there's only a few apps
**** I need the gps! I get lost SO MUCH!

~ Wifi ~

* How can you increase the wifi signal strength?
** It's very low
** Others had different problems like couldn't connect, or random disconnection after the upgrade

~

Phone Model: SPH-D710 (samsung epic)
Android Version: 4.0.4 (trying to upgrade this)
Build Version: IMM76.FF18

Please link!

Cory Streater #2

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Dec 18 '13 @ 11:38 PM

Hi Droidiscute,

~ Apps ~

** How to fix?

Can you cite an example of this? Is this an app that you installed via the Google Play Store? What process did you follow to uninstall the app? I've never seen any reminants of an app left after a proper uninstall. If it's an app that came pre-installed with the phone, it's there for good, unless you resort to hackery.

Not having your phone connected to your Gmail account severely impacts the usefullness of the device—since Androids integration with Google services is the primary driver behind its functional value.

That said, if you are simply looking for 3rd party app store alternatives — I would suggest Amazon's market. I have no personal experience with any additional marketplaces, and I recommend avoiding unofficial app stores.

Try Airdroid for all your file management needs. One of its many features enables you to connect to the device via a standard desktop browser. Once connected, you can install apps directly from your desktop. There are other options as well, but I find this one to be the fastest and easiest.

How do you know which apps needs wifi so that it works? (I have no data plan, almost never used the phone)

I think it's safe to assume that any app that requires a network connection will, by default, use a carrier connection if available. Whether the app has additional settings for connecting to WiFi only (e.g., YouTube has an option to do this), is one that you will need to discover once the app is installed and you have reviewed its settings.

If you're referring to the "App Permissions" popup that displays when you install an app — this popup does not elaborate beyond stating the types of networks used by the apps. It should either be obvious by the product description.

Again, an example would be helpful.

The link that you posted is a valid link and is showing as being supported on all my devices. Perhaps yours is not a supported device. There appears to be an alternate link for the same app here. Also you can login to play.google.com on your desktop and browse the app store from there. Opening an app for viewing will display a popup asking you to grant access necessary for the app to function. And speaking of alternate ways of installing apps, you can install an app, over the air, directly to your phone this way.

Download an install Google Maps with Navigator. That's what your phone was really built to do.

You can't do anything on the phone itself. You can try to make enviromental changes to reduce interferance, and if you're seeing a lot of error log messages on your router, you might seek out firmware updates that could potentially alleviate your problem.

I can't speak to that, since it's been several years since I've toyed with the Epic.

Cyber Warrior #3

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Dec 19 '13 @ 8:58 AM   Best Answer

Cory covered everything pretty well but I'll add my two cents.

~ Apps ~

** How to fix?

How are you deleting these apps? Are you uninstalling them or just removing the icons from the homescreen (which doesn't uninstall)

Without a Google account, I would recommend Amazons app store like Cory mentioned.. however setting up a Google account is free and will make things a whole lot easier... Android is based off Googles services so having an account is beneficial.

Again like Cory mentioned AirDroid.. but its a lot easier if you would just set up a Google account and use Googles Play Store for downloading apps straight from your phone.

Without a data plan, you would most definitely need wifi.. in fact you really should have a data plan, a smartphone without a data plan is almost useless to a degree.. you can get away with using wifi to a certain extent but its not very practical. Pretty much any app that syncs/updates different intervals throughout the day.. Email, weather services, navigation, music/video streaming and so on.. it really depends on what you have installed and setup. 

Not sure whats going on there.. you said you have no Google account  :confused:  but you're trying to download Google apps from your phone which does require a Google account. Like Cory mentioned. Google Maps with Navigator which is already built into your phone is the best option.

Nothing to do with the phone but your homes router/public wifi hotspot

Not an Epic user either so can't comment on that one but yes upgrading would probably help.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

Billy Pro #4

Billy Pro
  • 11 posts

Posted Mar 8 '17 @ 5:17 AM

Totally agree. I've experience some issues like you did.