• Sign In To Reply:  

ChadRT #1

ChadRT
  • Knowledgeable enough to mess it up...
  • 21 posts
  • Device: Verizon SGS3 i535

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 12:35 AM

Hello everyone,

First I wanted to say thank you for being here, I have tried other sites and after reading some of your posts I think you all are the most helfull bunch of folks out here and have really bent over backwards to help some of the posters out here...

I generally consider myself to be pretty computer literate as I manage a workplace network with 30 systems, VPN, vlans etc.  But I have been trying for a week now to get my phone to take a root and custom ROM.

I started off by following this thread http://galaxys3root....xy-s3-sch-i535/ and when I follow steps 1-9 I am golden everything works good, I have a rooted device!

The trouble begins when I try to follow the rest of the instructions.  I either end up soft bricked or I get prompted by a screen that says "verizon detected non approved software bla bla...) then I am back to square one.  Of course I can always Odin back to life again and then if I have tripped my counter I use the paid version of Triangle Away to get me back to 0.

I have tried to use ROM Manager, goo.im, manual install of CWM and everytime I do I end up back at the "veryizon detected non approved software" or it boots into the recovery app of CWM everytime and wont recognize the /sdcard/ to mount so I can transfer the files over to the device.  I have even tried to side load the CM image I wanted to install.

I have checked the download to make sure I had a d2vzw image for CM

I have followed many tutorials and I keep having problems.  I almost think I need to just TAway and go back to stock and live in VZW prison :)  I am hoping someone out here can help me out with this little issue.  Thank you so much!

NOTE

MY SETUP:

Intel Core i3-2328M 4GB Ram

Win7 Ultimate SP1 64bit OS

Odin3 v3.07

root66_VZW_I535VRBLK3_nowipe.tar.md5

adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030  for adb (It works and recognizes the device)

100% Charged battery most of the time never below 70%

Good OEM cables from phone to computer and once something starts I leave it alone till it finishes. (no accidently bumping the cables here)

Thank you to everyone!!

Cyber Warrior #2

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 5:30 AM

Thanks for all the info.. that helps. Where are you getting the ROM downloads from? Are they coming from within the ROM Manager or GooManager app or are you downloading from the developers page/site?

Edit: I think I know what your problem is.. By any chance did you follow steps to unlock the phones bootloader? Or did you only root the phone? To install custom ROMs you need to unlock the bootloader and then root the phone.

This guide/program by Cory Streater will unlock the bootloader, root the device and install a custom recovery.. basically everything you need to start flashing ROMs packaged into one easy toolkit for your device.
http://forums.theand...one-click-root/

Follow the steps to install the toolkit.. you should have no problem running it the condition your phone is in. What's going to happen is.. the program will unlock your bootloader which will also wipe the device clean so make sure you back up any important files from the phone and SD card that you don't want to lose. Since unlocking the bootloader wipes everything, you will lose your previous root. The next steps of the toolkit will then root your phone for you and install a custom recovery.. After all is done you should have no issues flashing the custom ROM. Let me know if you need help or have any questions.
  • Ahowe125 likes this

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

ChadRT #3

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 10:25 AM

I have ran forums before and getting people to provide the proper informaiton to assist them is sometimes the most difficult part and you end up with 3 days of dialogue before you even have the basics of their setup to start diagnosing the issue :D

Thank you for your help!

Cyber Warrior #4

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 5:02 PM

Awesome, thanks for the kind words. Yes, this forum was built with the intent to cut the bullshit and be as helpful as possible unlike some other forums. We have a very knowledgeable staff and a great community which we are trying to grow.

You didn't say if you ever unlocked the bootloader or not but I'm 95% sure you didn't based on the message you were receiving so I hope all is well now. See you around.

tacsig513.png

ChadRT #5

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 11:48 PM

No I dont think that I had unlocked the bootloader.  I had assumed that I was doing by using tools like goo.im and ROM Manager.  But it is so nice to have a place I can go to ask questions and get people who really care about my issues and dont blast me because of my lack of understanding over a particular situation!!

NOTE

This application is intended for use with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III.

1. Open Settings > Developers Options & enable USB Debugging on the S III.

2. Connect your S III to the computer.

3. Click the button below to initiate the root process.

Credits:

* Motochopper by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)

* Custom Recovery by Team Win Recovery Project

* SuperSU by ChainFire

* CASUALApp by Adam Outler

* Scripting and repackaging by Cory Streater

The Android Channel Forums: http://forums.theandroidchannel.com

--s3vzw toolkit--

1 of 10: Waiting for Verizon Galaxy S III...

Waiting for ADB device connection. When Windows 7 recognizes the device, we will continue. Don't touch anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2 of 10: Found it...

3 of 10: Pushing root exploit...

2975 KB/s (1283460 bytes in 0.421s)

4 of 10: Pushing root tools...

3012 KB/s (96260 bytes in 0.031s)

2836 KB/s (1858064 bytes in 0.639s)

3076 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.592s)

5 of 10: Pushing recovery...

2758 KB/s (6389760 bytes in 2.262s)

6 of 10: Pushing bootloader...

2853 KB/s (2097152 bytes in 0.717s)

7 of 10: Rooting Verizon Galaxy S III...

[+] This may take a few minutes.

8 of 10: Installing superuser to system partition...

error: device not found

error: device not found

Something went wrong. For community assistance, please visit forums.theandroidchannel.com.

done

Script Complete

ChadRT #6

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 11:58 PM

OK so my thought for this little situation is maybe because I was already rooted, using an older version of android software (

root66_VZW_I535VRBLK3_nowipe.tar.md5) and should go totally stock follow the instructions for bringing my phone back to stock including the OTA.  Then when the phone back to stock image I can retry the tool you have provided?

I will wait before I do that but I am just trying to help myself and throw ideas out there.  The more I do that and get feedback from the forums the more I can learn.

Cory Streater #7

Cory Streater
  • Your Wish Is My Command
  • 1533 posts
  • Device: Samsung S6 Edge

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 12:17 AM

That's exactly what you should do.

I would follow this procedure first:http://forums.theand...-stock-412-rom/

And then use the tool I wrote to root.

That error message implies that ADB isn't able to communicate with the S3 whilst trying to run the exploit — probably somehow related to the custom nowipe ROM you're using.

Thanks for the kind words and welcome!

ChadRT #8

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 3:58 AM

The first part went super excellent and my phone is back to stock and I am running VRBMB1 now this is definately a stock ROM with no bells or whistels and no root.  So we are on track with that part but...

The update it is suggesting is 116 megs and not the 110 you talk about in the post that returned me to "stock".  One thing I worry about is that on some other forum I read it was talking about some OTA update that would lock the phone's bootloader and recovery using encrypted softwares that will render my phone totally unable to rooted or install custom recovery software.  So here is me talking this out before I proceed further.  I found it http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2589314 that link is my worst nightmare.

Your post says I will be enhanced to VRBMF1 but that is not true if I take this update I will be on VRUCML1 as this document suggests from VZW http://support.veriz...e/galaxy_s3.pdf please advise me on this issue I am worried that if I do this I am stuck in VZW prison????????????

Cyber Warrior #9

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:20 AM

Yes you are correct,do NOT update like the instructions say.. I didnt even realize there was a new software version that locks the bootloader. That thread will have to be updated. If you want I have manual instructions if you want to skip the toolkit.

Follow this:
1. Flash the stock Boot chain in Odin.

2. Flash the VRALEC boot loader.

3. Flash TWRP in Odin.

4. Boot into TWRP.

6. Flash VRALE6 Bootloader

7: Flash Root.zip.

8. Install SuperSU from the Play Store.

TWRP: http://techerrata.co.....0.0-d2vzw.img

Root.zip: http://goo.gl/pY4Om2

VRALEC: http://goo.gl/dYuIhm

VRALE6: http://goo.gl/Ss7bf7 (don't worry if this fails in ODIN, LEC should be just fine without LE6)

Stock boot chain: http://goo.gl/FxeqvN

SuperSU: https://play.google....e.supersu&hl=en

Otherwise, if you do use the toolkit, you can flash the MF1 stock image in ODIN first and then run the toolkit..not sure if its compatible with MB1 but you can try, nothing bad will happen, it would just fail to root.
MF1 bootchain:http://www.androidfi...125694133305576

tacsig513.png

ChadRT #10

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:23 AM

Cory,

I did try to run the tool from the stock MB1 image that was working as of my last post.  That did the same thing and then when I rebooted the phone it said unapproved vzw software etc on the phone.  So I Odin'd back to the nowipe ROM that was rooted and then used TAway to clear the binary counter.  I don't think I have done any updates on my phone in quite some time so I dont think that VRUCML1 was previously installed on my device.  Hopefully that is not the case, I dont think it is because at one point following some tuturial on the net I was able to get CWM Touch working but that was short lived because no matter what I did it would not mount any sdcard either internal or external so adb was not able to store the image on the device.  That is where I tried to sideload CM as a ROM with no results.  If I brick my device I know its my fault because I keep trying things before getting solid instruction from you all here but I am not used to failing with computer based equipment.  :D  I will however this time wait for further instruction before going any further.

ChadRT #11

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:23 AM

Cory,

I did try to run the tool from the stock MB1 image that was working as of my last post.  That did the same thing and then when I rebooted the phone it said unapproved vzw software etc on the phone.  So I Odin'd back to the nowipe ROM that was rooted and then used TAway to clear the binary counter.  I don't think I have done any updates on my phone in quite some time so I dont think that VRUCML1 was previously installed on my device.  Hopefully that is not the case, I dont think it is because at one point following some tuturial on the net I was able to get CWM Touch working but that was short lived because no matter what I did it would not mount any sdcard either internal or external so adb was not able to store the image on the device.  That is where I tried to sideload CM as a ROM with no results.  If I brick my device I know its my fault because I keep trying things before getting solid instruction from you all here but I am not used to failing with computer based equipment.  :D  I will however this time wait for further instruction before going any further.

ChadRT #12

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:24 AM

Cory,

ChadRT #13

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:25 AM

That was totally an accident!  I would have never posted multiple times the exact same thing!!!!  I am so sorry.

ChadRT #14

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:27 AM

Your TWRP link is no good

Cyber Warrior #15

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:30 AM

That was totally an accident!  I would have never posted multiple times the exact same thing!!!!  I am so sorry.

Don't worry, no need to apologize.. shit happens.

The manual instructions I posted are up to date..other wise if you want the toolkit, flash MF1 first.

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #16

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:33 AM

Damn file sharing sites..here, directly from Team Win http://techerrata.co...6.3.1-d2vzw.tar

tacsig513.png

ChadRT #17

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:33 AM

The link for TWRP literally points to http://techerrata.co.....0.0-d2vzw.img including the extra dots in the file link.  lol  That is last thing I need to download for the manual install

Cyber Warrior #18

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:37 AM

The link for TWRP literally points to http://techerrata.co.....0.0-d2vzw.img including the extra dots in the file link.  lol  That is last thing I need to download for the manual install

Sorry was copy and pasted. Use the one I posted above that ends in .tar

.img is the custom recovery version. .tar is for Odin.

tacsig513.png

Beezy #19

Beezy
  • 9 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:37 AM

Does this link work for you. http://techerrata.co...wse/twrp2/d2vzw

Beezy #20

Beezy
  • 9 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:38 AM

Extra post my bad

Updated by Beezy, Jan 6 '14 @ 7:40 AM.

Beezy #21

Beezy
  • 9 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:38 AM

Ooops another extra post.

Updated by Beezy, Jan 6 '14 @ 7:43 AM.

ChadRT #22

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:45 AM

Question...

So for steps 1-3 do I need to reboot the device in between or should I turn off the auto reboot option in Odin?

The only problem I ever had with the VRALE6 was that it was in ZIP format and Odin wouldn't show it to be flashed over.  If I unzip it then there are files I didnt know how to handle either and they wouldnt flash over.  Same with Root.zip so I assume I have to adb push them over?

Cyber Warrior #23

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 8:01 AM

Reboot in between.

Unzip/extract the zip files.
Guide to ODIN http://forums.theand...ow-to-use-odin/

tacsig513.png

ChadRT #24

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 8:44 AM

After you unzip the .zip files you have folders and several files in each folder.  Do I need to Odin those over individually because they are not picked up by Odin either.  Since Odin only shows .tar .md5 .smd .tgz and .gz files.  That doesnt make sense to me!  I looked at the Odin instruction you pointed me to but that shows what I have already been using and that is pretty easy to use.  Open Odin, select file, wait for it to give the go ahead and click Start.

Cyber Warrior #25

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 8:51 AM

I'm not in front of a computer to download and view the folder contents.. But you want the files that end in .tar or .tar.md5 You may have to rename the file if it does have a md5 ending so that it's just filename.tar

tacsig513.png

Cyber Warrior #26

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 9:00 AM

I'll be in front of a computer in a few minutes so I'll download the files and take a look for you

tacsig513.png

ChadRT #27

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 9:10 AM

I really dont think it is possible to flash a .zip using Odin I have scoured the forums everywhere and there are others that have made the same comments.  lol

There are two folders in the root of the .zip on the vrle6.bootloader.zip and severals and folders under those.  And since Odin will not recognize .zip as flashable it wont let even see their existence using Odin.

edit - same with root.zip

Updated by ChadRT, Jan 6 '14 @ 9:11 AM.

Cyber Warrior #28

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 9:24 AM

Step 1 Bootchain: Bootloader is already unzipped.. single file that ends in MD5.. flash with ODIN. If it doesn't go, rename and remove the MD5 extension so that it reads filename.tar

reboot 

Step 2 VRALEC: Same deal as above. Flash with ODIN

reboot

Step 3 TWRP: Flash with ODIN.. already has the .tar ending

reboot

Step 4: Boot into TWRP... open the app GooManager, download from Play Store if you already don't have it and within the app.. hit menu, Reboot Recovery.

Goomanager-TWRP-Installation.jpg

Step 5: In TWRP recovery.. Flash VRALE6 Bootloader (do not unzip this file)

reboot

Step 6: In TWRP recovery... Flash the Root zip (do not unzip this file)

Next head to the Play Store and download and install SuperSu.

You should now be rooted with an unlocked bootloader and able to flash custom ROMs through TWRP recovery.

Are you familiar with how to use TWRP?

....and sorry for the confusion.

tacsig513.png

ChadRT #29

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 10:01 AM

No no problems I have an unlimited amount of patience!  I am however getting tired.  I work dispatch and IT services for a very large towing company up here in North Idaho and Eastern Washington.  So I am up all night long answering phones then off to bed.  But I am going to try and hang out a bit longer to get this done...

So the only piece of the puzzle I am missing is how to get the VRALE6.zip and root.zip on the phone so that TWRP can install them.  Should I boot into recovery and then try and use adb or do I need to move them over manually after the phone boots the last time and I can access MTP and then drop them onto the internal sdcard?

Cyber Warrior #30

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 10:04 AM

You can move them to your phone.. Or what's easier and what I do is download the them straight from your phone. Then in TWRP, go to Install.. browse to the Download folder and select the file/zip.

tacsig513.png