Started by ChadRT ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

ChadRT #31

ChadRT
  • Knowledgeable enough to mess it up...
  • 21 posts
  • Device: Verizon SGS3 i535

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 10:14 AM

OK so it all makes sense now.  I was just totally unable to figure how Odin was going to flash the .zip's to the phone when it cant handle zip files.  I will get this process started and report back.  By the time this is done I am going to be an expert on GS3 VZW

My sister says if you dont break your phone Chad I might have you do mine too.  LOL  I didnt tell her I broke it about 16 times already.  :D

Cyber Warrior #32

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts
  • Device: GS4 N7

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 10:17 AM

Lol.. Now that I've seen what each file is and with the latest step by step I posted.. You should be good to go.

tacsig513.png

: : C  H  A  N  N  E  L   Y  O  U  R    M  E  D  I  A : :

ChadRT #33

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 10:32 AM

OMG

It works everything is running great!  OK so I think I did it all correctly you said to download SuperSU but I already have Superuser are they not essentially the same thing, do I need both?

Then on to installing my custom ROM?  I believe all I have to do is move my ROM to the /sdcard/ then use TWRP to install the ROM?

Cyber Warrior #34

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 10:55 AM

Awesome I'm glad you finally got everything working. Yes you can use superuser also.yes just move the rom zip file to the SD card or you can download directly from the phone which is what I always like to do this way you don't have to move things around.

do you know how to flash roms?
For CM you need to flash the ROM zip and Google Apps (Gapps) zip back to back.. no reboot in between.

This is for ClockworkMod Recovery.. Not TWRP but it's the same concept of steps involved. http://forums.theand...r-cwm-recovery/

And oh, make a Nandroid backup before doing anything else. You can read about it in that link.

tacsig513.png

ChadRT #35

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 11:46 AM

Holy crap man I am now running the latest nighly of CM I cannot thank you enough!

Cyber Warrior #36

Cyber Warrior
  • Robots Will Kill
  • 1500 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 11:49 AM

You're welcome. I gotta say you definitely got patience and dedication.. and that's exactly what it takes to learn this stuff. You should now be an expert ;) Enjoy.

tacsig513.png

ChadRT #37

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 1:33 AM

Worst case scenario was me having to buy a new phone or cash in on an upgrade credit I have on my account.  I knew the risks going in and had a cheap little flip phone ready to swap out EIN's in VZW online.  So I may have had to wait for a while to get a new phone but knowing what the risks, bennefits and having backup plan meant that I could mess around all I wanted and if it broke sad day but not the end of the world.  All of that equals patience!

ChadRT #38

ChadRT
  • 21 posts

Posted Jan 13 '14 @ 7:24 AM

OK here is an update to my rooting quests.  I finally got my sisters done yesterday too!  :D  Hers was a stock VRBMF1 and so I thought I would just use the quick tool from Cory to root and get TWRP running.  But that failed 3/4 the way thru it the process and I was unable to finish getting TWRP running.

So I just brought the phone back to stock VRBMB1 no root dev wipe etc.

Next I followed the instructions that me and Cyber Warrior went over and it all went smooth as butter!