Started by Christopher Coleman ,

• Sign In To Reply:  

Christopher Coleman #1

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts
  • Device: Motorola RAZR MAXX & Nexus 7

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 9:38 AM

@evleaks was kind enough to share what they call 'preliminary' specs for the sequel to the HTC One. As seen below, the M8 could be powered by some respectable hardware but with newer processors like the Snapdragon 805 showing up in devices now is certainly something to consider. Keep in mind that these specs are not final, and it was specifically noted as so by the source, so it's possible HTC could make a change before we see anything official.

• Snapdragon 800 CPU
  • 5" 1080P display
  • 2GB of RAM
  • HTC Ultrapixel rear / 2.1mp front facing cameras
  • HTC Sense 6.0 on top of 4.4 KitKat

Is anyone interested in this as of yet? Let us know what you think.

OIJTnMT.jpg

Source 2

C Sab #2

C Sab
  • Your alternative tech/photography guy from the North.
  • 990 posts
  • Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nikon D3100

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 9:58 AM

I'm curious as to what they'll improve on from the last version of Sense. And I'm glad they're keeping just a 5 inch screen.

Plus, i wonder if they'll try and improve the Ultra pixel quality in daytime, while not bad it was lacking compared to other Android phones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

Beezy #3

Beezy
  • 9 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 10:36 AM

I miss some of the features that HTC has with sense but not enough to want another phone from them.

C Sab #4

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 12:44 PM

I miss some of the features that HTC has with sense but not enough to want another phone from them.

What's keeping you from getting another one of their phones?

Beezy #5

Beezy
  • 9 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 12:57 PM

What's keeping you from getting another one of their phones?

I don't like the fact that they make you use their site to unlock your phone. There's still just a little to much bloat in sense,mainly all the social media crap. If you buy a phone you should be able to unlock/lock at will,like the nexus.

I would make a exception if they released a phone that was along the lines of the Hero or N1 I miss the trackball and the those phones were built strong I abused the crap out of my Hero and never had any issues just a little visual damage.

I'm the same way about Samsung devices too. I won't ever own another till they offer away to opt out of knox or to offer a phone without knox. Besides the GPE phone.

C Sab #6

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 1:50 PM

That's what modding is for. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

Updated by C Sab, Jan 5 '14 @ 1:51 PM.

Christopher Coleman #7

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 5:58 PM

I think @Beezy knows that these problems can be solved with a ROM a majority of the time, but some users would rather have an officially supported method of bloat removal and unlocking. I know I would.

C Sab #8

C Sab
  • 990 posts

Posted Jan 5 '14 @ 6:18 PM

I think @Beezy knows that these problems can be solved with a ROM a majority of the time, but some users would rather have an officially supported method of bloat removal and unlocking. I know I would.

Yeah, so do I. I just suggest it whenever necessary. 

Beezy #9

Beezy
  • 9 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:33 AM

I completely understand there is ways around. If I go to the store right now and buy a laptop it's mine I can do as I want with it. If I wipe windows off it and install Linux and happen to have a hardware failure its still covered under warranty the same should apply for a phone.

dmmarck #10

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 7:45 AM

officially supported method of bloat removal and unlocking

So buy a Nexus?  And even then, you trip a "tampered" flag when you unlock.

@Beezy, in terms of "hackability," the One certainly comes closest (even with SON) to the Nexus of any of the major phones, but still, limitations exist at both carrier and manufacturer level.  That will be unavoidable, at least here in America.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Christopher Coleman #11

Christopher Coleman
  • Management
  • 877 posts

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 8:30 AM

So buy a Nexus?

That's certainly not the same as HTC or Samsung or whoever else giving an official method to unlock, root, and de-bloat (which will never happen.) GPE devices are the next best thing, but are so inconsistent with releases that I wouldn't ever recommend a user rely on their desired device being released in that fashion.

dmmarck #12

dmmarck
  • Ombudsman of Mountain View
  • 1381 posts
  • Device: NEXII

Posted Jan 6 '14 @ 8:53 AM

So buy a Nexus?

That's certainly not the same as HTC or Samsung or whoever else giving an official method to unlock, root, and de-bloat (which will never happen.) GPE devices are the next best thing, but are so inconsistent with releases that I wouldn't ever recommend a user rely on their desired device being released in that fashion.

True.  However, as stated above, the One is the closest to a Nexus-like unlock we've had on any major "flagship" device, at least in recent memory.

And heck, even Google disincentivizes this.  The heyday of ROMing and fuckery may be over, at least to the degree we knew it previously.

tacsig513.png

UNLEASH THE BEAST: General Nexus 5 Hackery

LG NEXUS 5 - Black 16GB, Android 4.4 KitKat, Unlocked, Rooted, franco.Kernel

ASUS NEXUS 7 (2013) - Black 16GB, Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, Unlocked

Ahowe125 #13

Ahowe125
  • Nerd of everything Tech
  • 260 posts
  • Device: VZW HTC One

Posted Jan 8 '14 @ 9:38 AM

I'll be interested to see if the next HTC phone is a worth while upgrade to my current HTC One on VZW. Personally I don't care for Sense or any of their UI stuff. This is why I unlocked and obtained S-Off (using Rumrunner) in order to install a 4.4.2 Kitkat port of the GPE. This phone is amazing with stock Android on it. 

I wanted a Nexus 5 but didn't want to leave Big Red. IMO from a modders perspective this is the best phone on VZW other then maybe the Moto X (not unlockable unless its a Dev Edition). For a few minutes at a T-Mobile kiosk I played with a Nexus 5 and I didn't feel it was that much different then my One with 4.4.2 GPE on it. 

I was very much a Moto lover/user until I tried this phone. I enjoy the hardware (especially Boom Sound) and ability to be hacked and modded. That ability will impact my decision on any phones going forward. GPE or Stock Android is where its at for me. 

Updated by Ahowe125, Jan 8 '14 @ 9:40 AM.

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
| Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.2 |